4.0 out of 5 stars Some Very Humorous Writing here...
Published on February 3, 2008 by ellen holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bathroom reading
Published on May 10, 2012 by npydyuan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Very Humorous Writing here..., February 3, 2008
This review is from: Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me (Hardcover)
Feeling kind of down, I escaped into my local bookstore and this was the first book that caught my attention. I read several of the stories and found most of them quite amusing and well-written. One of them, called something like "Sex is the Most Stressful Thing Ever Created in the Universe" by Dan Vebber especially stood out. It was hysterically, laugh-out-loud funny, and really lifted my spirits. I honestly think that particular piece is some of the best writing I've ever encountered. Depending on the individual, this could make a very nice gift to cheer up a friend going though the agony.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Heartfelt Collection of Essays, February 8, 2008
TILFWWDM is, on the whole, a delightful collection of essays focusing on the lamentations of men who found themselves at the receiving end of some rather memorable, if painful, dumps. While this may sound depressing rather than hilarious, most of these men adhere to the maxim of looking back and laughing, and as many of them are professional comedians and comedy writers, the end result is often extremely amusing.
The book suffers from the same drawback any collection of essays or short film festival will, in that there is so much range, not every piece is going to be suited to every person's tastes. This is, however, also a plus side, as the wide range of essays ensures there's something in the book for everybody who isn't a humorless stick in the mud.
I for one only disliked two of the essays in the book, and one of those was out of intense jealousy.

Definitely check it out, it'd make the perfect gift to give to the guy you're about to dump.

4.0 out of 5 stars Their painful memories will make you giggle., March 2, 2008
spitgrrl (libraryland, indiana) - See all my reviews
What initially drew me to this anthology was not the topic (men discussing their failed relationships) but rather, I was very excited to see that many of the contributers are some of the best comedians/comedic writers around today. Stephen Colbert, Patton Oswalt, Andy Richter, Will Forte, Bob Odenkirk and Dan Savage are just some of the guys who found it in their hearts to submit tales of their dark and torrid romantic pasts to paper for the amusement of us all. And while these essays certainly are amusing and left this reader chuckling out loud at various points, there is a serious aspect to all of these recollections and each author will spur readers to ponder the power of romantic attachments--both past and present--and why we never really seem able to let go of our memories and how these former flames have helped (for better or worse) make us the person we are today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bathroom reading, May 10, 2012
Though the book contains a few standout selections, for example the one from Dan Savage, the more stories I read, the more I started to have the feeling of bloat and empty calories that is the result of trying to make a meal out of junk food. Too many of the stories lapse into the same disingenuously self-deprecating "write-like-you-talk" style, all too common these days, that suggests the author hasn't yet learned (whatever else he may have learned from the women who dumped him) that not everything that happens to him is interesting in its own right, nor that gratuitous use of cutesy "meta" comments on his own writing do nothing to enliven a pedestrian story. There are basic grammatical errors too--mildly irritating in blog entries, particularly galling in a book I actually paid for. But overall, it's entertaining enough that I don't really regret the purchase. There is enough insight and genuine sweetness scattered throughout to make a night spent reading this book better than, say, a night of watching reality TV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Series of Essays on Relationships That Fell Flat, February 1, 2008
Humor is something that is very individual, and while I have a pretty good sense of humor, I found this book to be lacking. Several of the essays contained within it were laugh out loud funny, although the majority were either just humorous or attempts at humor that failed. There were several essays which I think were supposed to be serious, but it was hard to tell.

One redeeming facet of the book were several heartfelt and sincere stories about relationships; in particular the one by Bob Kerry.

I can't say I learned anything from this book, and I didn't get a good laugh either. Maybe another reader will think it is hysterical, but for me it wasn't worth the money. If you want to read it, it might be best to check it out at a local library and see if the humor is your style before you plunk down your money to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Top 10 Favorite Books, July 8, 2013
This is one of my top 10 favorite books. It's good to read any time, but definitely will help you or a friend get through a break up faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, June 17, 2013
Good, quick, funny read. Many great comedians contributed relatable feelings, awkward moments and laugh out loud stories. Good break up/any time read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some funny stuff, some okay stuff, December 17, 2012
Because of the variety of essays in this book, I found some stories laugh-out-loud funny, others completely obnoxious, and others kinda boring. In my opinion it's not worth the "new book" purchase price, but if it's just a couple of bucks go for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars great idea for a collection of short stories, but failed to meet expectations, March 22, 2012
I absolutely love collections of short stories by funny people and I especially loved the idea behind this collection of short stories. Each author presents a "lesson" on... Things [They've] Learned From Women Who've Dumped [Them]. Unfortunately, there were so many misses in this collection and few stories that really had me LOL-ing. Notable stories include "9 Years is Exactly the Right Amount of Time to be in a Failed Relationship" by Bob Odenkirk and Larry Whitmore's story about his newborn baby daughter not liking him. Check it out from a library if you can, but not worth owning. I gave my copy to Goodwill, because there wasn't enough "good ones" that I could see myself reading again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, May 20, 2011
Really, really uneven essays, each titled with the name of a lesson taught to the author after getting dumped, written by people ranging from Dan Savage ("I Am a Gay Man") to former U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey. Some took it really seriously and tried to get in touch with the women who had dumped them years before, while others clearly were just making stuff up (I'm talking to you, Stephen Colbert). Worth it if you find it at a library booksale for a buck and stick it in your bathroom - you can read each essay in about 5 minutes and the whole thing in less than a month. Don't pay real money for this though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me
Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me by Ben Karlin (Hardcover - February 4, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01