Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Good Things for Organizing (Good Things with Martha Stewart Living)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on June 7, 2001
If I had never used even one of the suggestions/ideas in this book, it is beautiful to look at and wonderfully organized.
Even the unrealistic (for me) ideas let me fantasize....not a bad thing!
Martha Stewart's staff has compiled organizational ideas for every room of the house (and even rooms that most of us do not have). Many of the ideas are just common sense, but things I would not have thought of on my own. I had quite a few "ah-ha" moments while reading this book.
I have used several of the ideas: for the broom closet, the office, the garage, and for folding those darn fitted sheets that always end up in a ball, it seems.
I loved the picture wall, the fold-out windowsill, the armoire converted into an office, the herb "pantry", and the spice drawers.
Now if Martha would just send someone over to make all these things for me!
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2001
Ingenious ways to organize just about every part of your house and inspiring photos of that oh-so-Martha style make this book a must have for any Martha fan or compulsive neat-nick. However, for those looking for a all-out guide to organizing, this book is more fluff than stuff. While you do get to see a lot of the ideas, the pictures limit the amount of space for instructions and tips. Most, if not all, of the ideas come from her magazine, so for those of us stock-piling issues and issues of it, this book provides a to-the-point compilation. Mostly useful for inspiration and as a visual guide, look elsewhere for much more. Not as lengthy as I might have liked--- I hope Martha comes out with a more comprehensive guide in the future. I'd recommend this to fans of the Martha style only.
on June 28, 2001
This is a wonderful book. Before this book, my life at home was out of order and everything was a mess. After reading this book, I had a host of ideas to help me organize my food pantry and bathroom, etc, etc. My life is now more orderly and much simpler at home. My home has become a more pleasant place to spend time. Keeping my home in order after all these changes requires virtually no maintenance. Martha's ideas were of VERY little cost if it cost me anything at all.I discovered that I could use things that I already had around my house. I found new and more practical uses for literally 100's of objects in my home. I recommend this book to anyone who needs a little organizing in their lives.WAY TO GO MARTHA!!!!!!!!!!
on July 29, 2004
I'm not usually one to buy books about generic subjects like organizing. But this book intrigued me because it brings a dash of glamour and pinache to an otherwise dull subject and one that I needed to study!
All of the ideas are fresh and original.
The book goes room by room through the house: Living spaces, Working spaces, Bedrooms, Bathrooms, Basements, etc.
Martha and her team make the task of organizing seem do-able and also offer some very stylish ways of keeping clutter out of site, like the hidden book shelves on the sides of a headboard, starting a key corral by the front door or keeping your computer, fax machine and printer in a converted armoire - a 'secret office' you can put anywhere in the house.
There are lots of tips for storage, keeping clutter off desks, organizng a pantry, a linen closet, a medicine cabinet, a spice rack, a clothes closet, a laundry room, your kitchen drawers, etc.
It's a bit of a vanity project, like most of Martha's books, with photos of Martha's homes and rooms, but that's kind of fun too.
on March 27, 2001
This book is a good resource/ inspiration for people who want to get organized with their living space. Each chapter shows examples of how to deal with a specific organizing problem. The solutions are effective as well as the charming looks. This book is truly helpful and again, inspire those who are either just begin to get organized or obsessed with tidiness (like me). I'm pleased with this book and look forward to seeing many 'before/ after' spaces influenced by this book.
on March 7, 2002
If you want to see pretty pictures of nice looking organizing doodads, leaf through this book...but if you want practical tips on how to organize your space, pick up Julie Morgenstern's Organizing from the Inside Out.
on April 2, 2003
I enjoy this book as it is packed with crisp, self-explanatory photographs that fire my disorganization conquering imagination. Since my initial perusal, I've picked this book up dozens of times to spark more ideas for organizing my home. However, in my opinion, this is not a "D.I.Y. 101" book. If you do not already have at least a little D.I.Y. savvy, or if you prefer long, detailed instructions, then this is probably not the book for you. I think the purpose of this book is simply to give readers ideas to build on in a simple way. It is exactly what I was looking for. There are so many visual suggestions on how to handle those pesky, household clutter problems such as the linen closet, medicine cabinet and home-office desk. Thanks to Martha Stewart, I finally learned how to fold fitted sheets NEATLY and how to banish the seemingly endless tangle of computer wires on my desk (I was convinced they were ganging up and tangling themselves on purpose while I was not looking). It only cost me a buck to get the wires under control - I'm stoked! My only complaint about this book is that I want more of it but that's only because I always want more of a good thing. I think I made a pun. I wonder if anyone will notice?
on April 25, 2001
For anyone who subscribes to or buys Martha Stewart Living, save your money on this book. It is basically a compilation of past issues on homekeeping and organizing techniques. There are a couple of new ideas(or maybe I don't recall seeing them in the magazine) but otherwise I found this book repetitive of old ideas.
on October 30, 2001
I love the pictures, and they are a wonderful inspiration to get you started on organizing your space. There are also a few specific ideas that may prove helpful. But unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on containers, shop at endless flea markets, and most importantly, are already organized, this won't be a big help.
on July 21, 2005
Although we can all aspire to Martha's level, few of us will ever get there. Dispite this fact the information in Good Things for Organising there are definately simple, easy suggestions to put in place in your home and work life almost immediately.

Besides, if I never apply all of the suggestions in this book, it is still beautifully photographed and wonderful to dream about having a house as wonderfully organised as Martha.

Although Martha's concepts are focussed on the American lifestyle, being in Australia it is still easy to adapt certain ideas so definately worth while.