Customer Discussions > Dead Space 3 forum

Things to know before you buy (article links)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2013 3:20:33 AM PST
Victus says:
Micro-transactions:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77491/dead-space-3-to-include-microtransactions

PC port:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77584/dead-space-3s-pc-port-defended-by-its-executive-producer

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 10:12:42 PM PST
Micro transactions in a full 60$ game.

/facepalm

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 2:59:34 AM PST
Victus says:
Micro transactions in a full $60 single player/co-op game...back in the day, stuff like this used to be achieved with Game Genies and cheat codes; now you have to pay money for it. Luckily, the micro transactions don't seem to be too intrusive. You can still "grind" for all the weapon crafting materials for free.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:53:06 AM PST
M. burns says:
I found that most of the microtransactions are for people that cannot be bothered to grind or are not good enough to achieve a trophy / achievement. For example, in Sleeping Dogs, to get the Ultimate fighter you had to real work to get extra points on missions and a lot of people were lazy / unskilled so they just bought a XP add-on.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 1:25:32 PM PST
T. Paslay says:
Agreed, it doesn't seem to really impact the whole of the game. I was pretty irked when I found out that (Unitology Suit) the best armor, by far, in the original game was only available if you bought it. That stuff irritates me, but if people want to blow their money on stuff you can already get in the game just to get it faster, far be it from me to stop them. Just don't expect me to be in line, credit card in hand, with them.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 4:30:11 AM PST
J. Thompson says:
Again the mircotransactions are completely optional. Also for everyone freaking out and saying OMG EA how could they do this? They already did it last year in Mass Effect 3. You could buy commendation packs for multiplayer if you didn't feel like saving credits.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 5:59:54 AM PST
Victus says:
So far everyone that has posted knows the micro-transactions are optional. No one seems to be "freaking out" about it either. The unfortunate thing is that we as gamers have come to expect things like this from certain publishers. It just comes down to the principle of it; the fact that something like this should be in a game at all. You're paying for a $60 game with similar micro-transactions as a free-to-play game. But at least (or I'm hoping) you don't have to pay for DLC that allows you to see the REAL ending to the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 1:12:23 PM PST
J. Thompson says:
Real ending to the game? What are you talking about....the transactions deal with crafting only.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 3:28:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 4, 2013 4:03:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 6:51:30 PM PST
E. Nagy says:
Pretty sure he was referring to ME3's DLC for the "real ending."

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 1:20:34 PM PST
Waldo says:
Dead Space 3 resource farming glitch won't be patched, is intentional

A recently-discovered glitch in Dead Space 3 that allows players to farm infinite resources for item crafting isn't a glitch after all, according to EA's statement to GameFront. The method for obtaining said resources, skirting the game's microtransaction system, won't be patched out, either.

"The resource-earning mechanic in Dead Space 3 is not a glitch. We have no plans to issue a patch to change this aspect of the game. We encourage players to explore the game and discover the areas where resources respawn for free. We've deliberately designed Dead Space 3 to allow players to harvest resources by playing through the game," EA rep Jino Talens said.

The microtransaction model, which allows players to skip the resource-gathering at a cost, is still an option for players. "For those that wish to accumulate upgrades instantly, we have enabled an optional system for them to buy the resources at a minimal cost ($1-$3)," Talens added. With the farming glitch going unchecked, it's more likely that Dead Space 3 players will spend that money on cheap burritos.

http://www.joystiq.com/ps3/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 11:33:52 PM PST
Red Baron says:
the scavenger bots do have to be paid for with real money to upgrade, no option other then that, and these items make easier too collect stuff. the developer of distributor, should stop trying to capitalize on charging people money to cheat, like if you bought "contra" and every time you pressed up down left right select start or whatever for people who remember but you had to pay a dollar each time, that is what it is a kin to, and its not fair, its financial discrimination, if people pay 60 dollars for a game, they should get THE FULL GAME not part of it, and then get charged extra, DLC that is already on the disc is also another of the new sins, if the content is on the disc we should not have to pay extra to be able to use it, DLC is the worst thing to happen to games, since the nitendo power glove.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:14:53 PM PDT
Just thought I would add that DLC and the online pass is per user not per console in this game. ie. online pass must be repurchased for every profile on the same console. Need to rein in EA, they are out of control
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dead Space 3 forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Space 3
Dead Space 3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (347)