5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book for my children and their teachers!
I was very pleased with Dr. Carson's first book, "Gifted Hands" and found his moving story of childhood turnaround, through the influences of his Mother, reading and God to provide refreshing proof that we can positively influence lives.
Published on April 12, 2002 by Bruce V. Culver

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Misleading. Should Have Been Two Books.
I recently got in on the Ben Carson craze and decided to pick this book up for my Kindle. Being one who is always trying to improve himself, I like what the book's description was telling me; only the book description tells about half the story.

Published 18 months ago by Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book for my children and their teachers!, April 12, 2002
This review is from: Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence (Mass Market Paperback)
Taking the time to read and understand Dr. Carson will demonstrate that he is an ordinary man like you and I, problems and all. He deals with problems and mistakes with the following philoshopy of living:
T - Talents/time
H - Hope
I - Insight
N - Nice
K - Knowledge
B - Books
I - In-Depth
G - God
Do not judge this to be simplistic and trite...Dr. Carson explains with vivid examples how he utilizes this philosophy not only to live by, but to spread hope to those, like him that once had no hope in life.
I highly recommend this book, not only as an inspirational story about a current day medical hero, but as a book that can provide the framework to live your life or develop strong, positvie traits in your children.
Note: this book stands on its own merits and does not require previous reading from Dr. Carson's first book, "Gifted Hands". I read "Gifted Hands" shortly after reading "Think Big".

5.0 out of 5 stars The blue print to success, December 16, 2002
This book was particularly interesting Dr. Carson has given us the road map to success and we should put our youth as well as ourselves on this path of achieving greatness. I admire Dr. Carson who did not let peer pressure or neighborhood gossip distract him off the path of success. When I read this book there were some things that I am going utilize such as talent, being nice, ethics, books and most importantly god on my path of success in achieving my career goals. For about a year now I have shut off my cable and every night I read after getting home from work which has made a remarkable improvement in my life.
Books have become my best friend in shaping my mind and to increase my cognitive being in ways that are beyond my imagination. Whenever there is a subject that I have no knowledge of my local library has been my greatest source of information. Knowledge is power and a tool for success.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life altering must read for young and old., January 4, 2000
I found Dr. Carson's book to be incredibly moving and useful in daily life. It perfectly depicts the powerful influences of our childhood and what can happen when the messeges you hear are possitive and uplifting. My wife is 3 months pregnant with my child and I intend to limit the TV time, like Dr. Carson's mother did. The books she encouraged him to read as a youngster opened up his creativity and broke down walls. I will not forget this very powerful message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like shelling beans, May 12, 2004
This book was a tremendous help breaking out of a shell and instilling a thirst to do better. I read this book after finishing active military service time around 1996 and was searching for a foothold in "civilian'life". It has been years since reading this book but still some of principles inspire and have been incorporated in my belief system. Young people, this book definitely has beneficial keys that if you could only realize what is in store for you in later in life if you would only apply some of these principles, early on. One thing I really liked about this book is that it acknowledges God and is a very practical philosophy. One principle that I can still remember is how Dr. Carson many times in college studied by reading many different books on the same topical subject to broaden his depth of knowledge. Friends, I possess an average IQ, and have used this technique to have people give compliments on how intelligent I was ona particular subject.
BUY THIS BOOK NOW AND READ IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Big, May 20, 2000
Avid Reader (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is more than just another self-help book. It gives very concrete steps available to all of us for developing our potential, regardless of our station in life. The author stresses the immense value of reading. A must for all, but especially for educators and mentors.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Misleading. Should Have Been Two Books., March 5, 2013

The first two chapters are really great. They suck you in and give you an idea into what Carson is looking to do with the book. However, roughly 52%-54% of the book is devoted to people Carson has met over his life and he writes of their amazing lives and/or abilities. This is where, I think, the book was misleading.

I believe it to be misleading, because, even though I expected some autobiographical information to help make points on his THINK BIG philosophy, I wasn't expecting a book where a little more than half of it is an acknowledgment. I'm all for giving credit where it's due, and I'm glad Carson doesn't think that he did it all on his own, but I never got the impression that he would spend so much time covering these other individuals that are very vague in helping to make points on his THINK BIG philosophy.

What do I mean by vague? He starts off the book describing these individuals without diving into without describing what he believes THINK BIG is to his audience. Several times I read, "*INSERT NAME*, who thinks big...," and I was left wondering what it meant, in Carson's definition, to THINK BIG. I think it would have been more appropriate to describe what THINK BIG is followed by talking about the other individuals. This would help to drive home points better and it would be clearer how these individuals thought big in Carson's definition.

The second half of the book is where it's really at! That's where Carson starts diving into his THINK BIG philosophy and each letter in THINK BIG stands for something different. Here is what they stand for:

Talent/Time
Hope
Insight
Nice
Knowledge

Books
In-Depth
God

I found his philosophy to be refreshing, because he adds elements that I have not, or rarely, have heard of from other successful individuals in trying to describe their philosophy on success. (The best one, I still think, is Napoleon Hill in his book, "The Law of Success," which I recommend to everyone!) Not to mention Carson's philosophy is one of the more practical philosophies in attempting to live a fulfilling life.

All-in-all, the book was a bit misleading, because more than half was devoted to other individual's stories that I did not think would be present. The book also suffers a bit from the organization. If Carson was adamant about adding the stories of those individuals in this book, he should have clarified what THINK BIG was before telling their stories; I think that would have made his points stronger and clearer. I ended up skimming two chapters until I ended up at the part of the book where I wanted to be: Carson describing his THINK BIG philosophy.

Once you get to his philosophy, that's where the book really shines! I still would recommend this book to anyone looking to better him/herself and/or to figure out how to live a meaningful and fulfilling life; I would simply skip over the first half of the book and dive right into his philosophy. I would also recommend the Kindle edition as it only costs about $6.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading for students, April 26, 2006
Since discovering the first printing of Dr. Carson's THINK BIG and GIFTED HANDS, I have been of the strong opinion that either or both should actually be required reading for middle school and high school students. I remember being forced to read Bulfinch's Mythology, The Scarlet Letter, and other really unhelpful books, to delve into them and learn everything about them--how does that help pre-teens and teens, who are starting to question who they are and where they belong in life? Those books were useless. But Dr. Carson has MANY real answers for us all, and I believe that if everyone read his books, there would be a lot less negativity in the world, and much more kindness, caring, and a sense of worth and purpose for every individual, and isn't that what we're all really looking for?

5.0 out of 5 stars The blue print to success, December 26, 2002
Dr. Carson gives us the road map for success and explains to us that the journey is not always easy. However, if you want something bad enough and you work hard for that particular goal it will be obtainable with prayer. Dr. Carson's book is something remarkable and the things that I noticed that set him apart from all of the rest was reading for knowledge and personal enjoyment. Reading opens up a world of knowledge that cannot be obtained just through life and its experiences. Reading can shape your future into something so bright and wonderful because books contain so much knowledge.
The spiritual side of what Dr. Carson talks about is very important so that we keep ourselves grounded. And last of all possessing good ethics professionally and personally, because the same people you meet on your way up are the same individuals you will encounter on your way back down.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is lost and looking for a way out of a world of ignorance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know Dr. Ben Carsn., July 13, 2005
I agree with one reviewer who said in reading this book you begin to feel like Dr. Ben Carson is "your" mentor. The concepts and simplicity of the book makes you feel that you're getting to know a person and not a character. His philosphies and interpetations on life and character are certainly respectable. I am impressed by the statement that he made in saying love should be an action; he replaced the word love in a popular bible vs. with the word kindness. I also liked that he described humility as godliness. There were so many points made in this book so many eye openers. The book is very encouraging and I believe that whoever reads this book with an open mind and an attitude for change and upliftment, and a desire for improvement will achieve such. Thank You Dr. Ben Carson, Thank God for you. I love you.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's one of the most inspiring books on learning., March 14, 1999
By A Customer
Think Big is the most inspiring book I have ever read. I work with youth and it's a great tool for teaching them the importance of reading and learning. I've had the opportunity to meet Dr. Carson and the person is as great as the book. Kids of all ages can relate to his story and his message of thinking big. Adults will be inspired as well; inspired to read, to dream and to teach. Every teen ager in America should read this book.

Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence
Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence by Cecil B. Murphey (Mass Market Paperback - December 8, 1996)
$6.99 $4.48