Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Help! I Think I'm Dying! Panic Attacks & Phobias: A Consumer's Guide to Getting Treatment That Works
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 12, 1999
Dr. Granoff`s book HELP! I THINK I`M DYING! is great. I`ve readmany other books on the subject that were filled with fluff, fat andpsycho babble. Dr. Granoff has a knack for delivering knowledge in a clear and efficient manner.His writing style is easy to read. The total package helped clean up many misconceptions I had about my illness. I liked that he added supplements to his original book to update his information. His information guided me to getting more effective treatment from my doctor. I can now say I`m finally in remission and no longer suffering. I just wish I had read this book sooner. I urge anyone who has panic attacks to read Dr. Granoff`s book so they can be guided through the system armed with information necessary to return to a normal life.
on January 15, 2003
The book is absolutely perfect for those suffering from panic disorder. Granoff makes an excellent, excellent point, one that all primary care physicians and psychiatrists should read again and again until it's seared into their memory: the only patients with panic disorder that need antidepressants are ones who have depression as a PRIMARY symptom, not a secondary symptom. All others with panic disorder need benzodiazepines. Now, first let me say that I only 90% agree with that brilliant statement. For the lay readers out there, you may not see the brilliance---it may look like a total boring common-sense statement. But you don't understand how brainwashed the medical community is about antidepressants and benzodiazepines. Antidepressants like SSRI's and the newer ones like Remeron, Effexor, Serzone, and Wellbutrin are patented, while all benzodiazepines are generic. What does that mean? It means that generics get no positive publicity, only negative, while brand-name patented drugs get billions and billions of dollars worth of sleek, catchy advertisement, including the sales pitch that "antidepressants can help panic disorder". The reality is that antidepressants can help only about 1/3 with panic disorder, dont do much for about 40% of patients, and actually WORSEN panic symptoms in about 1/4 of people. And the 1/3 that get helped almost certainly have major depression as the primary diagnosis, AND the major depression is the primary cause of their panic disorder. Antidepressants are delayed stimulants; they will not give you a panic attack in minutes like too much caffiene can---it may take days for the antidepressant to induce more anxiety. That anxiety may fade later, or for many patients, it will never fade. For people who have only mild depression and prominent anxiety/panic, benzodiazepines are the primary therapy. A small amount of antidepressant may help, since the overstimulation caused by them is dose-dependent. For a more detailed review of these issues, I recommend the book The Failures of American Medicine.
on November 23, 2002
This book really is a MUST-HAVE for anyone suffering from panic attacks/anxiety.
Dr. Granoff explains what panic attacks are, why they happen, every kind of anxiety disorder, and what must be done to treat them. This book is refreshing: Dr. Granoff doesn't throw medical jargon at the readers - he explains in simple and concise terms everything you need to know.
I was relieved to read this book and to talk to Dr. Granoff - I suffered from panic attacks and anxiety for almost a year and never knew what was happening to me. I was fortunate to finally find his book - it explained everything and gave me all the answers I'd been looking for. He helped me understand that I'm not losing my mind! He zeroed in one the exact problem and treated me immediately. I HIGHLY recommend this book! If you suffer from panic & anxiety, you probably think you'll never feel better - Read this book and you will.
on September 16, 2003
Dr. Granoff's book is superb. For anyone who has ever suffered a panic attack, this book should be the first one that you read.
The well-credentialed Dr. Granoff begins with a thorough, yet understandable, analysis of what occurs chemically in a person's brain when they suffer a panic attack. (The list of symptoms will absolutely surprise you. You may find that panic disorder has been manifesting itself over many years, sometimes worsening in the absence of appropriate treatment.)
An interesting fact that I discovered in this book is that benzodiazepine is a naturally occurring chemical in the brain. Dr. Granoff compassionately, yet analytically, explains how this chemical functions in the brain, and how panic attacks can occur when there are deficient quantities of naturally-occurring benzodiazepine.
Dr. Granoff does not say this, but, it is possible that, after you read this book, you will conclude that the pharmaceutical industry deliberately pushes its new, PATENTED, EXPENSIVE drugs, while at the same time dogging the benzodiazepine family of drugs (Xanax, etc.) because the exclusive patents on the benzodiazepines have expired and they are, thus, a cheap (and perhaps more effective) means of treating your panic disorder.
Of course, only a competent psychiatrist can properly determine your clinical diagnosis, but, Dr. Granoff gives an accessible view of panic disorder and its solutions.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, however, Dr. Granoff gives you lots of hope by sharing his substantial clinical experience in treating this potentially debilitating disorder. If you can stop panic attacks, then that is a victory for you and your loved ones, and Granoff explains how victory is possible.
Many thanks to Dr. Granoff for writing a book that steared me in the right treatment direction. I consider it providence that this plain-looking book would have helped me so much. I was unable to carry on my profession before I sought the appropriate treatment after reading this book. I have a life now, and a hope. And that is more than I can say that I had two years ago.
on February 3, 2000
Dr. Granoff's book is helpful in that he not only explains the biology behind the illness (in my case, anxiety disorder), but he also guides the reader in selecting a competent professional to treat the illness. I can imagine that many who suspect they suffer from anxiety or panic disorder are unsure where to go for help. Dr. Granoff addresses these issues in a realistic and thoughtful way. I highly recommend the book.
on April 22, 2000
Dr. Granoff's book HELP! I THINK I'M DYING! on panic attacks and phobias is concise, easy to read and understand. I now fully understand my illness and am seeking treatment for it thanks to the information in the book. I'm not in full remission yet, but I am about 80% functional, whereas before treatment I was only 30 to 40% functional. His book helped me to get the proper treatment because before reading the book, I felt alone and helpless and worthless and didn't know where to turn. When friends or family asked me to go somewhere or do something that I couldn't do, they just didn't understand why I couldn't. I have passed the book on to several of them and they are now very supportive and understand that I have an illness that I couldn't "treat myself." I do hope that anyone who is suffering from anxiety or panic attacks will read Dr. Granoff's book so they too can get their life back.
on October 25, 2002
Just READING this book will help calm your panic attacks. With a personal account from his own experiences of suffering panic attacks, Dr. Granoff has helped educate panic attack sufferers on many facets of an attack.
This book is true-to-life, a relief to read (finally, there's a professional in the medical field who KNOWS what I'm going through), with simple verbiage for the lay person to understand all of the intricacies of panic attacks and how to overcome them.
I can promise that any reader who needs help with panic attacks will definitely find their answer by reading this book. Can I give it 10 stars?
on January 18, 2001
This book is filled with all of the info i was looking for. It supported my theory that I was recieveing the wrong medical advise and then it began to reveal to me what my problem might actually be. It is written with class and humor all combined in a manner to educate the lay person about a much unresearched medical condition. The book left me feeling like I was a normal and functional human and that I was not alone in my problem, and that there are indeed awnsers to this medical condition that I have.
on February 16, 2003
James Croak's review of Jan 10, 03 shows his lack of understanding the complexities of medical diagnosis and treatment. It shows not only how easily a lay person can misinterpret medical information but also how easily one can accept unscientific information from non-medical sources and extole it as fact.
First, my experience with my own panic attacks occurred in the early 80's. This was a time before the psychiatric community, the general medical community and the public had much knowledge or experience with the symptoms and treatment of panic attacks. The story of my two panic attacks was added to my book as an attempt to reassure people who have these symptoms of how physically real and frightening they are. They do not feel they could be caused by the brain. Even after intellectually knowing that, emotionally connecting this fact can be difficult.
Second, the statement that panic disorder is cured daily by behavioral psychologists shows a lack of understanding the nature of this illness. It is a physical disorder of the brain that has a genetic predisposition. No one is able to fix the genetics yet. The illness usually comes and goes on its own for most people giving the appearance of "cure" for those who don't follow it long term. About 30% of people have one attack or one series of attacks never to have them return regardless of treatment type or lack of it. The claim of "cure" by those who are not MD's, ie: psychologists, social workers, counselors, "therapists," motivators, or sufferers who have found the "right formula," is not based on scientific fact. Tragedy can occur when one goes through the "cure" and has partial remission or another series of attacks. The feelings that accompany that failure may prevent the search for a different, more effective treatment.
on January 20, 2002
This book is highly recommended by the National Anxiety Foundation for anyone who suffers from genuine panic disorder. With all the commercials offering trendy mail-order self-help cures to the public, it is refreshing to see a book that reminds us that this is a medical disorder and requires individual treatment by a qualified physician. Panic disorder is a treatable medical disorder. This book helps the reader to understand the medical root of the problem and how physicians through medical science are eliminating the symptoms of this illness.