4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive little logic puzzle/game
I got this for my 11 year old for Christmas so that everything wasn't camping related or a book. Imagine my surprise when this little game turned out to be a hit with all three of my boys (ages 11, 8 & 5).

Published on February 27, 2012 by Sheila (NJ)

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too easy
Got this for my son for his twelfth birthday. He jumped right to the expert cards and got them all on the first try. I was sure he must be doing something wrong, so I tried it, as well. Ridiculously easy. I got his twin brother Rush Hour; I hope it's not as lame. Can't recommend at all. The game is recommended 8 to adult, but 8 seems like it should be the upper limit.
Published on October 9, 2012 by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive little logic puzzle/game, February 27, 2012
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)

It is a little like Rush Hour in that you are trying to get a piece (or pieces) off the board, but it has a few more elements to it. The game consists of base with a concave top, the game board with a hole in the middle that has convex bottom to rest on the base, a deck of 40 cards with the challenges on one side and the solutions on the back, 6 gray blockers, 2 green sliders, 4 blue sliders and a draw-string storage/carrying bag.

One you set the game up in the configuration on the challenge card you are ready to start tilting. Your goal is to get the green piece(s) to fall out through the middle hole. Here are the catches: the blue pieces can not fall out or you have to start over (they can't even fall out right after the green ones do) and you have to tilt the board ALL the way to one side. In other words, it is not about dexterity, it is about strategy. You must use the placement of the blockers and the other sliders in order to position your green pieces properly to beat the puzzle.

You may tilt the board up/down, or left/right, but not diagonally. The pieces that move must move all the way to the side you are tilting it to - no stopping halfway. Yes, I'm harping on that point, but I've watched quite a few children play it, and they have a tendency to take the easy way out. Once they understand the rules though, the fun and frustration begins. The cards start with beginner puzzles and progress through 4 levels to expert. Solving the puzzles takes some serious planning as you progress through the levels.

One problem I noticed many kids having is over-tilting the board so that the pieces move too fast and go flying out. If you keep the board on the base, this is unlikely to happen. However, my children and I like to play the game while holding the board so it took some time to get used to how far and fast to tilt it in order to get the sliders moving without gaining too much momentum.

Storage of the game is easy with the enclosed carrying pouch, and the whole game tucks easily into a bag to take with you. The pouch lists all the game pieces on the outside of the bag so you won't be wondering if you left any behind. Unlike one of the other reviewers, I found the game easily fit in the bag provided. I put the blockers and the sliders on the game board and then put the base on top of the board to hold everything in place. This easily slips into the pouch with the deck of cards and the drawstring bag locks closed with one of those spring sliding locks.

My 5 year old has made up his own set of rules and his own puzzles, but he can keep himself entertained for a good 20-30 minutes at a time with this game. I take it along to one of our home school co-ops and it is definitely a hit with the kids. The older kids will gather around the child playing and call out ideas so it doesn't have to be a solitary game, although I have to admit to playing it by myself after the kids are in bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequential planning and resource management, April 24, 2011
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
Another splendid new think toy from the ThinkFun people is Tilt, where pieces slide from one side to the other, and you get to decide in what order to move them so the green ones drop in the pocket but the blue ones don't go through. As soon as this game arrived in our home, my son appropriated it and found it totally absorbing. He got very good at it, so this review is really his:

.....................

TILT
Reviewed by Eric Bare

What a delightful pastime, a gem of a board game! It gave both my mind and hand-eye coordination an entertaining workout. In this age of virtual gaming, it's refreshing to physically feel the game in action; an alternative to the lifeless sensitivity of a mouse, or joy-stick.

The rules are simple to follow and it doesn't take but a few rounds to master the flow between balance, timing and one's own dexterity. The design is flawless and the pieces slide effortlessly when the correct angle is achieved. The advanced challenges, on the other hand, are not for the inexperienced as one works through the deck of easy-to-read cards (with the solutions on the back....but don't peek). Sharp minds will zip through the top of the deck, and although they will find all the levels fun (some solutions even made me giggle), they may find the advanced challenges more to their liking. This makes the game perfect for all ages from 8 and up.

.............................

Kate's further comments:

The designers clearly gave much thought to the mechanics of the game, so that it can tilt only forward, back, left and right. No cheating by diagonal moves! The grooves in the board guide the pieces with little pegs as they slide, and all the parts feel very nice to handle. Tilt is another worthy companion to ThinkFun's superb River Crossing and Pathwords. Kudos to the designers for providing the world with so much good brain fun and benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Toy Easy to Transport, September 22, 2011
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
My 12 year old daughter loves this toy and the best thing about it, is that she can play it by herself. It is easy to learn and educational from a strategic thinking point of view and hand-eye coordination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and Fun!, October 12, 2011
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
I was very surprised to read a review claiming that Tilt was too easy - I am an adult and find Tilt quite challenging, as do the friends and family I've shared the game with. Tilt strengthens your spacial thinking. The harder challenges really force you to think strategically about moves you will make down the road and to visualize where the pieces will be in a few moves. This can be difficult, particularly if you are not used to using your brain in this way. Like the other Think Fun games I've tried, Tilt really exercises your brain and forces you to think in new and different ways. It is also a compact solitaire game which is great to bring on road trips or if you have to wait somewhere or kill some time. Although this is a single-player game, you can also play Tilt competitively and see who gets the challenge in the fewest moves.

Tilt is a great game for the whole family!

4.0 out of 5 stars Logic yes, but also gravity, forces, simulation and precision, August 16, 2011
Marvin G. Hall (Kingston, Jamaica) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
Hinted in its name, Tilt, playing this game teaches kids about gravity, forces, balance and other concepts in physical science. Sliding pieces from end to end in order to solve each challenge provides additional interactivity and encourages precision. Not only do children have to use logic to determine solutions but they also have to translate their logic into the actions that solve the problem. In our constantly changing, interconnected world, Tilt gives children a hands-on experience with a dynamic system and allows them playful exploration of simulated behaviours.

4.0 out of 5 stars keeps all ages busy, storage not so great, December 25, 2011
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
My almost 5 year old can do the easy ones, my husband has spent the afternoon doing the expert challenges. So, a great game for us!

It's very similar in concept to the Haba game "Highly Suspect," but in solitaire form.

The only con is that it's a bit bulkier than most of Thinkfun's games.

EDIT - ok, a day later I took off a star for the pain it is to store this. The sack they give could be an inch or two wider. As it is, if you don't put things back in just right, you can't cinch the sack closed all the way, with the potential that some of the bits can fall out. Not likely, but still. And the sack is stretched around the corners of the board, so will the seams give out? Surely a storage drawer could have been built into the bulky, hollow board or the concave, hollow base for the pieces and the cards. Thinkfun has done a great job of that with other games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our New Favorite Game, November 21, 2011
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
Everyone loves this game! I brought it to a family reunion where the oldest kid was 13 and the youngest was 7. They had so much fun playing with this. They played all day long watching each other and taking turns. One afternoon I found my very active 10 year-old nephew playing it alone while the rest of the kids were outside running around. Great especially for those people who like to move while they think. This game was a HUGE HIT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for directional words!!, November 4, 2011
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
As an elementary teacher I am always looking for games to teach with! This game is not only fun but very educational. We used this game while learning about directional words such as left, right, up, down, next to, below, above, etc. It is also a great game to take along in the car for long car rides and works well as a game to play in the restaurant while waiting for dinner to arrive! Thanks for another great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Teaching Problem Solving, July 14, 2011
Melissa F (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ThinkFun Tilt (Toy)
It took me a bit to figure out this toy, but once I did, I've loved playing it. It's great for teaching strategy, though I have to admit that sometimes it's just dumb-luck how I win the puzzle as opposed to actually solving it mentally before performing it physically. Though perhaps that is also the strength of the toy because I find some of the puzzles very challenging and it can keep my mind occupied for hours.

With my kids, I try to have them talk out how they think it will work before they put their theory into action to ensure that they're really solving the puzzle and not just tilting it incessantly until they get it in :-)

Personally, I think schools should use this toy in the classroom, especially in math class.

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too easy, October 9, 2012