Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ThinkFun Block By Block
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 21, 1999
For the ultimate challenge in spatial relations try out this game. It's like a three dimensional tangram and it is really tough. For a great time bring this to a party and work on the solutions as a group. Personally, I think 8 years old is probably a little young for this game. I'd suggest 12+ unless the children are teamed up with an adult.
on July 26, 2009
After reading some reviews of this toy on another website I decided to buy it for my son, who is turning 8 in 2 months, for a trip we were taking. The first puzzle had us stumped and we needed to use the hints on the back. This game is much harder than it looks and while my child likes to try to do it, I think it is better suited for older kids. He still likes to play with it and we use the hints on the back for help. I consider myself fairly intelligent and even I have a tough time with this.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 20, 2011
This is an excellent puzzle, that under various forms and names has been around for a long time.It was invented by Piet Hein (1906-1996) in 1936.He was one of the greatest designers of puzzles of the 20th Century.He was a Danish Scientist,Mathematician,Inventor,Designer,Author and Poet.One of his favorite quotes was,"The road to wisdom? Well,it's plain and simple to express: Err and err again but less and less and less." It is generally sold as a Soma Cube.It consists of 27 cubes that when assembled results in a cube 3 X 3 x 3 cubes.The 27 cubes are put together in 6 different configurations of 4 cubes and 1 configuration of 3 cubes ,totalling 27.
The challenge is to take these 7 configurations and assemble them in a large cube 3 X 3 X 3 cubes.It must be noted that there are many ways to do this; and this is the general solution of this puzzle.
What is different with this product is that it comes with a set of 60 cards,each being another challence or shape to construct.Just in case you get stuck,solutions are provided on the back of the cards.
This is a puzzle that will be solvable by young as well as adults.It is simple to learn what is to be done and anyone who gets tempted with a puzzle,will readily try to "do it".That is what I call a great puzzle and worthy of the name a classic.By the way, this product by Thinkfun was previously sold under the name of Binary Arts.(same company,just a new name)
on January 9, 2007
At first my 7 year old had a bit of difficulty with the concept, but once she figured it out, she loves it! The idea is to use the cube combos that come in the package to make the designed printed on the cards that come with the set. It sounds easy, but it is rather challenging. It builds spatial perception and logical thinking in a game!
on July 31, 2015
4sI was shipped this item by accident and I'm glad that they messed up my order!

GAME DESCRIPTION: This game comes with a few blocks (7 I believe) and you're given these cards where you look at the image and you're supposed to reproduce the image give with the blocks provided (you have to use all of them for every challenge).

AGE: I don't recommend young children to play with this game because it requires a lot of patience. They could however, just have these blocks and play with them and make their own challenges without ever looking at the cards and attempt to recreate the image. My boyfriend and I are both college students at UC Berkeley and we love the game and it's a perfect level of difficulty for us

SKILLS: This game doesn't really require critical thinking (which I would have liked), but rather just playing with the blocks until you recreate the image desired. It does however, require a lot of patience since it's a trial and error type of game.

DELTAS: It's not meant to be played on your bed, couch, or futon. I've tried and the blocks just keep sliding and moving a lot since it is plastic. I also don't like how the blocks are plastic because some pieces don't stay in place the way you want it to. For some of the puzzles, you would have to hold the blocks together to ensure it doesn't fall because most blocks distribute weight unevenly and if you let go, it causes your entire structure to fall.

Other than that, I really enjoy this game and it's really a bargain. Another plus is that the game can be replayed after completing all the challenges since you're honestly not going to remember how you put the puzzle together to get to the solution. I hate buying board games/games in general that you can't really play all the time. Trivia games for example you can only go through them once or twice and by the second time, you'll pretty much know the answer to the entire deck and you can no longer play it. This game however is able to be played over and over again as long as you have the patience!

Some other pluses that I really like about this game is that it comes with a travel bag (which I love because I don't know how else I would store a bunch of block pieces) and when on the back of every card, there are hints that help you solve it (it's really great when you get frustrated and just want to know how to start or finish the challenge).
review image review image
on October 21, 2005
This game is great. I opened up the box when I got it in the mail and started playing with it right away. My family soon got to join in and we have enjoyed this game over and over again for hours on end. I love the fact that the game comes with a little tote baggie that you can take with you nearly anywhere. It's great fun at a great price and it makes your mind have to work unlike alot of games and toys nowadays.
on November 27, 2009
I bought this for my 5th grade classroom. My kids go crazy over this and the "Brick by Brick" game as well. This 3-dimensional puzzle was very challenging for my husband and myself. I took it to school and my students find this game particularly frustrating. I would recommend this game to a teacher with an older classroom. The game says ages 8+ but I think it should be more appropriately labeled 12+ because of the difficulty.
on November 15, 2015
I work with kids and this game is GREAT for kids age 10+ (including adults). It may be good for 8- and 9-year old children, too, depending on their mental acuity. This game is challenging, even for adults, so young children will likely be frustrated by this game.

The only thing I don't really like about this game is related to its packaging: it is somewhat difficult to get all of the pieces to go back in the box. I always have to ask the kids to hand it to me to allow me to organize the pieces so that they fit nicely, but many kids try to shove it in the box with pieces sticking out, not flush with the internal plastic container, which causes the box to become disfigured. I suppose I could do away with the plastic interior piece, but I rather like the way it keeps the pieces from rolling around in the box, so I've kept using it, despite the inconvenience. I feel that the game might benefit from a new package design, though.
on September 29, 2009
We got this for my husband for Christmas, last year. He is an engineer and loves this puzzle. It is a challenge and some puzzles are easier than others. Younger children may become frustrated, but there are various levels.
on November 9, 1999
once you start on this you're hooked! my friends and I worked on those puzzles when we were out at sea and the images and feel of the cubes remains with me to this day.

See 1 answered question