1,845
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$11.52 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,155 of 1,180 people found the following review helpful
Format: Mass Market Paperback
If you asked me to recommend to you the single best "success" book I have ever read, my answer would be a very definite "Think and Grow Rich".
First published in 1937, this is the end product of two decades of research conducted by Napoleon Hill. His research started when Andrew Carnegie (the steel tycoon who was then the richest man on earth) gave him the assignment of organizing a Philosophy of Personal Achievement. Hill, who was a poor journalist, armed with just an introductory letter from Carnegie, set out to interview over five hundred successful people including Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, John D. Rockefeller, George Eastman, William Wrigley Jr. and Charles M. Schwab. Hill then revealed the priceless wisdom of his research in the form of the thirteen steps to success (in Think and Grow Rich) and the seventeen principles of success (in courses and lectures he conducted).
The concepts taught by Napoleon Hill transformed my life. Some of these include developing a definite purpose, building a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA), channeling the power of the sub-conscious mind and dealing with adversity. Everything he wrote about or talked about is thought provoking. He was wise, humble and funny. His philosophy is universal; he did not mix it with religion. The riches he referred to were more than money, for the Philosophy of Personal Achievement can be applied to anything in life.
Hill was well ahead of his time. This book has a chapter dedicated to some of today's most important issues - Specialized Knowledge, Decision Making, Imagination and Organized Planning (in which he deals with Leadership). He also has principles for Teamwork, Creative Vision, Health, etc.
This is a classic, and hence the examples are old (not to be confused with outdated). But they are as relevant today as they were in the early twentieth century. Here is an example from T&GR in the chapter on Desire:
On the morning after the Great Fire of Chicago (1871), a group of merchants on Chicago's State Street went into a conference to decide whether to rebuild their stores or leave Chicago. All but one decided to leave. The merchant who decided to stay pointed a finger to the remains of his store and said "Gentlemen, on that very spot I will build the world's greatest store, no matter how many times it may burn down." His name was Marshall Field and his store still exists, and in Hill's words is "a towering monument to that state of mind known as a burning desire." I lived in Chicago from 2002 through 2004 and worked three blocks away from this impressive store on State Street. Sometimes I would visit it or stand outside it to derive inspiration and be reminded of the power of desire. It is amazing that Hill describes "burning desire" with a story based on the Chicago Fire.
There are thousands of self-help books out in the market and hundreds of self proclaimed "gurus" who have made a living by copying the wisdom in Hill's books. As I went through some of those books I realized that there was not much in them that Hill had not already written about. I recommend quality over quantity. Instead of reading through many books, I recommend that you study the following works of Hill and internalize his wisdom:
1. The Think and Grow Rich Action Pack (1937) - I recommend the Action Pack edition,
2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,
3. Your Right To Be Rich [Unabridged] - this consists of 12 hours of live lectures covering the 17 principles, that Hill conducted in Chicago in 1954.
By internalizing, I mean studying in depth - analyzing the ideas, making notes and summaries. I own more CDs by Hill, but I believe that these 3 items make the perfect study plan on the Philosophy of Personal Achievement.
I am greatly indebted to Napoleon Hill. The purpose of my writing this is to spread awareness of his work so that more people can benefit from it. This, I believe is the best way in which Hill would have liked to have been repaid.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,607 of 1,661 people found the following review helpful
on February 8, 2007
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Do not buy this version. I purchased this version and discovered the original 1937 edition free online so I decided to compare. I discovered after comparing the first few pages of the original online version to this version that quite a few critical points had been omitted from the book. I became curious, so I went through every word of the online version and compared it with the book and was astonished at the amount of important information that was excluded from the book. Almost all of the key elements of the book had been removed or worse (reworded and changed) this completely diluted the message. I can see why many readers could find the book to be a little vague and unclear. I decided to write down the numerous words and paragraphs that had been removed from this edition and put them together. Wow! Just reading what was removed was profound and told a story in and of itself and made me question why this critical information was removed. It should be a crime to remove so much original content. Something that was clear, concise and cohesive had now become distorted and muddled. Clearly the original content could stir the masses for change not just for money but politically and socially which Napoleon states. The thought police have been more active than I thought wink wink. Here is a small list of omitted subjects that you are missing if you purchase this version:

Christianity - and it is not what you would expect

Copernicus

Lincoln slavery and a united North & South

Philipine representative that excited his people to freedom

Earth - high vibrational frequency (correlates a lot with the quantum physics of today)

School and education - most of what is taught in school does not help a person succeed in life. Charles Schwab demonstrates this by hiring dozens of poor men he had not went to school and turned them into successful leaders

Dreamers - people with big imaginations that have the greatest potential

to change the world

Concrete work that was performed by Napoleon Hill 25,000 interviews over several decades. 500 men interviewed were the wealthiest on the planet at that time.

The principles can be applied to desires other than money, social political change, scientific discoveries, inventions etc.

The original 1937 version is available free online as an ebook. I hope that I may have inspired previous readers who may have been discouraged after reading this edition to review the free online version.
7474 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 1998
Format: Paperback
In 1992, I suffered three major crisis; loss of my job, marital seperation and loss of a loved one. These elements put me into a tailspin financially and emotionally. THINK & GROW RICH was one of two books that I read at that time and significantly turned my life around! I found myself with no money, huge debts, no friends and no job. I had lost my self esteem and felt powerless. The principles in Think & Grow Rich gave me the how to turn mylife around. After applying the technique descibed on page 36, opportunities began to come to me. Within two weeks, I found new employment actually at a higher income than before. I started a very successful part time home based business, within two months, all bills were caught up and within six months all debts were paid off! With a better attitude I started to attract new people into my life. I went from a extreme negative attitude to a positive attitude, from a negative cash flow to a positive cash flow and from a life of emptiness to a life of aliveness. I believe that THINK & GROW RICH is the very best self developent book of all time! I also own the 8-cassette tape program/course and highly recommend it to everyone. I mentioned that THINK & GROW RICH was one of two books that turned my life around, the other book was More Wealth Without Risk by Charles Givens which is to personal finance what Think & Grow Rich is to Personal Success. I make it a habit to review both books and their tape programs continously and get continued results and ideas.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2002
Format: Mass Market Paperback
This book teaches what we never learn in school---the principles of success.I own book the book (Action Pack) and the cassette tapes which I play in my car. I never fail to pick up a new idea everytime I read the book or listen to the tapes. I recommend Success through a Postive PMA by Hill and Turner, Turner, Turner: The King of Network Marketing.
on June 1, 2003
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Although this book has been around since the 30's, it is still head and shoulders above the others.
The title can be misleading. You do need to think and by reprogamming your mind with these time tested and proven techniques, you will become rich.
The most beneficial part of the book to me was the exercise of holding a mental picture of myself for 30 minutes per day along with affirmations.
All I can say, is that it works, it really works.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 1, 2000
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I have read over 400 books on personal development. Think and Grow Rich is the best.It's not just positive thinking, but also strategies and techniques to reach your goals.It's great to see Napolean Hills great book has such a high rating here at Amazon and is still one of the best selling books.If you want just one book, this should be it.If you are in business or want to be or in a leadership role, I also suggest Direct From Dell by Michael Dell. If Napoleon Hill were alive today and interiewing the most successful people of the times, surely Michael Dell would be at the top of his list.I am also sure that Mike Dell has read and applying the strategies from Think and Grow Rich.Read and apply the techniques from both books and you can't help but be successful.
on August 23, 1998
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Think and Grow Rich is in a class of it's own. There is no other book quite like it in the area of personal development and I DON'T THINK THERE EVER WILL BE AGAIN! Think & Grow Rich inspired me to start my own Financial Education Company, to empower me to become successful and to create balance in my life. I give out copies of Think & Grow Rich to my clients and I recommend it to anyone who wants maximum success and fulfillment in life.
CARL DEANGELO FINANCIAL NETWORK 2000
on June 12, 1999
Format: Mass Market Paperback
In 1990, I returned home (Orlando,Fl) after a crashing business failure in Hawaii. I had read Think & Grow Rich many years before along with other mind books including "You can if you Think you can" by Norman Vincent Peale. Frustrated, I decided to go back to my "roots" and dug out the old dog eared copy of "Think and Grow Rich" that I had packed away and began to read and most importantly apply the techniques. Within weeks, I found a new opportunity and within months, my income had grown to a personal high. I really can't say enough about Think and Grow Rich, except read it and apply the principles. The other book that came into my life at the same time I began to reread Think and Grow Rich was "More Wealth without Risk" by Charles Givens and oh yes, I also reread You can if you Think you can by Dr. Peale. I highly endorse all three books for anyone serious about success.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2004
Format: Mass Market Paperback
It's hard to believe that Think and Grow Rich has been aroud now for over 70 years!When I first heard of this book in the early 70's, I thought it was a new book at that time. Then when I heard it was nearly 40 years old (at that time) I, being a college grad and highly sophisticated figured that Hill's work was outdated.About that time I met a young businessman with a harelip and a severe speech impediment. This guy was an 8th grade dropout and was extrolling the merits of Think & Grow Rich and network marketing. This guy didn't look like much. He was pretty ordinary looking. Average, maybe even below average and he wasn't rich. In fact he had to borrow money from his uncle to get into business because he had worked on a farm all his life and came from a poor family.I figured this guy was insane and had gotten sucked in by some city slickers.Many years later I noticed a big limo coming through town. Curious I waited to see who would come out. In this little southern town, newer cars were rare and seeing a limo was like the president was coming to town.Much to my surprise the man that walked out was the harelip! I walked up to him and started to introduce myself but amaziingly to me, he remembered me even though we had only met once.I asked him what the occasion was and was actually belligerent enought to suggest that perhaps his uncle had paid for the limo. He then told me he owned the limo..in fact a whole fleet of limo's. He had moved to Orlando, Fl and created a cosmetic/personal development company that extrapulated into over 78 companies. His net worth, he said, was over $350 million ($1.5 billion in todays money)Stunned, I asked him how he did it.He attributed his success to Think and Grow Rich and some other books like How To Win Friends and Influence People and he said the most important book, The Bible.I went ahead and bought a copy of Think and Grow Rich. I didn't get into his motivational or mlm company or any mlm or direct sales company, buut I did use what I learned from Think and Grow Rich to achieve success that was extraordinary for me.Surprisingly to me, I also became a better parent, a better spouse, a better friend, a better coworker, a better manager and became better in everything I did with more balance all the way around.This book may have been around for along time, but the principles are timeless. Since the 70's I have not met a single person who has achieved any level of success who has not at least read Think & Grow Rich.Napolean Hill's book is a classic because it delivers...but ony if you read it and use it.
on December 3, 2003
Format: Audio CD
If mere thinking equated results, then all the one star reviewers will be successful and have something worthwhile to do with their time instead of mindlessly posting inarticulate posts about one of the greatest books of all time.
Think & Grow Rich will teach you to think right. The way that Carnegie, Schwab, J.P Morgan, Ford, Wannamaker, Woolworth, Taft, Roosevelt, Hubbard, Dr. Alexander Graham Bell and too many others to mention think.
Think & Grow Rich only works if you apply what you read. Good book and highly recommended for everyone who wants to be a winner.