Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on February 12, 2006
If you asked me to recommend to you the single best "success" book I have ever read, my answer would be a very definite "Think and Grow Rich".
First published in 1937, this is the end product of two decades of research conducted by Napoleon Hill. His research started when Andrew Carnegie (the steel tycoon who was then the richest man on earth) gave him the assignment of organizing a Philosophy of Personal Achievement. Hill, who was a poor journalist, armed with just an introductory letter from Carnegie, set out to interview over five hundred successful people including Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, John D. Rockefeller, George Eastman, William Wrigley Jr. and Charles M. Schwab. Hill then revealed the priceless wisdom of his research in the form of the thirteen steps to success (in Think and Grow Rich) and the seventeen principles of success (in courses and lectures he conducted).
The concepts taught by Napoleon Hill transformed my life. Some of these include developing a definite purpose, building a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA), channeling the power of the sub-conscious mind and dealing with adversity. Everything he wrote about or talked about is thought provoking. He was wise, humble and funny. His philosophy is universal; he did not mix it with religion. The riches he referred to were more than money, for the Philosophy of Personal Achievement can be applied to anything in life.
Hill was well ahead of his time. This book has a chapter dedicated to some of today's most important issues - Specialized Knowledge, Decision Making, Imagination and Organized Planning (in which he deals with Leadership). He also has principles for Teamwork, Creative Vision, Health, etc.
This is a classic, and hence the examples are old (not to be confused with outdated). But they are as relevant today as they were in the early twentieth century. Here is an example from T&GR in the chapter on Desire:
On the morning after the Great Fire of Chicago (1871), a group of merchants on Chicago's State Street went into a conference to decide whether to rebuild their stores or leave Chicago. All but one decided to leave. The merchant who decided to stay pointed a finger to the remains of his store and said "Gentlemen, on that very spot I will build the world's greatest store, no matter how many times it may burn down." His name was Marshall Field and his store still exists, and in Hill's words is "a towering monument to that state of mind known as a burning desire." I lived in Chicago from 2002 through 2004 and worked three blocks away from this impressive store on State Street. Sometimes I would visit it or stand outside it to derive inspiration and be reminded of the power of desire. It is amazing that Hill describes "burning desire" with a story based on the Chicago Fire.
There are thousands of self-help books out in the market and hundreds of self proclaimed "gurus" who have made a living by copying the wisdom in Hill's books. As I went through some of those books I realized that there was not much in them that Hill had not already written about. I recommend quality over quantity. Instead of reading through many books, I recommend that you study the following works of Hill and internalize his wisdom:
1. The Think and Grow Rich Action Pack (1937) - I recommend the Action Pack edition,
2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,
3. Your Right To Be Rich [Unabridged] - this consists of 12 hours of live lectures covering the 17 principles, that Hill conducted in Chicago in 1954.
By internalizing, I mean studying in depth - analyzing the ideas, making notes and summaries. I own more CDs by Hill, but I believe that these 3 items make the perfect study plan on the Philosophy of Personal Achievement.
I am greatly indebted to Napoleon Hill. The purpose of my writing this is to spread awareness of his work so that more people can benefit from it. This, I believe is the best way in which Hill would have liked to have been repaid.
1313 comments|1,263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2006
This is a good CD. I own it and have listened to it a few times. Earl Nightingale gives a clear summary of Think and Grow Rich. To me, Napoleon Hill is the greatest success author/speaker ever and Think and Grow Rich is the single greatest book I have ever read. However, a part of this particular CD feels like an advertisement and could have been skipped. Also, the editorial reviews and the narrator of this CD talk about 13 principles. This could sometimes be the cause of confusion. Hill organized 13 Steps Toward Riches (in Think and Grow Rich) and 17 Principles of Personal Achievement (in his courses and lectures), also referred to as 17 Keys to Success. This CD talks about the 13 Steps in T&GR.
I would recommend this CD to you only after you have heard the 9 CD set that contains twelve hours worth of live lectures in Napoleon Hill's own voice. The set is called Your Right To Be Rich and was recorded in 1954 in Chicago. In this, Napoleon Hill talks about each of his seventeen Principles of Personal Achievement. The set is amazingly inexpensive and well worth the investment in cost, time and effort.
11 comment|319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2007
Do not buy this version. I purchased this version and discovered the original 1937 edition free online so I decided to compare. I discovered after comparing the first few pages of the original online version to this version that quite a few critical points had been omitted from the book. I became curious, so I went through every word of the online version and compared it with the book and was astonished at the amount of important information that was excluded from the book. Almost all of the key elements of the book had been removed or worse (reworded and changed) this completely diluted the message. I can see why many readers could find the book to be a little vague and unclear. I decided to write down the numerous words and paragraphs that had been removed from this edition and put them together. Wow! Just reading what was removed was profound and told a story in and of itself and made me question why this critical information was removed. It should be a crime to remove so much original content. Something that was clear, concise and cohesive had now become distorted and muddled. Clearly the original content could stir the masses for change not just for money but politically and socially which Napoleon states. The thought police have been more active than I thought wink wink. Here is a small list of omitted subjects that you are missing if you purchase this version:

Christianity - and it is not what you would expect

Copernicus

Lincoln slavery and a united North & South

Philipine representative that excited his people to freedom

Earth - high vibrational frequency (correlates a lot with the quantum physics of today)

School and education - most of what is taught in school does not help a person succeed in life. Charles Schwab demonstrates this by hiring dozens of poor men he had not went to school and turned them into successful leaders

Dreamers - people with big imaginations that have the greatest potential

to change the world

Concrete work that was performed by Napoleon Hill 25,000 interviews over several decades. 500 men interviewed were the wealthiest on the planet at that time.

The principles can be applied to desires other than money, social political change, scientific discoveries, inventions etc.

The original 1937 version is available free online as an ebook. I hope that I may have inspired previous readers who may have been discouraged after reading this edition to review the free online version.
101101 comments|2,343 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 1998
In 1992, I suffered three major crisis; loss of my job, marital seperation and loss of a loved one. These elements put me into a tailspin financially and emotionally. THINK & GROW RICH was one of two books that I read at that time and significantly turned my life around! I found myself with no money, huge debts, no friends and no job. I had lost my self esteem and felt powerless. The principles in Think & Grow Rich gave me the how to turn mylife around. After applying the technique descibed on page 36, opportunities began to come to me. Within two weeks, I found new employment actually at a higher income than before. I started a very successful part time home based business, within two months, all bills were caught up and within six months all debts were paid off! With a better attitude I started to attract new people into my life. I went from a extreme negative attitude to a positive attitude, from a negative cash flow to a positive cash flow and from a life of emptiness to a life of aliveness. I believe that THINK & GROW RICH is the very best self developent book of all time! I also own the 8-cassette tape program/course and highly recommend it to everyone. I mentioned that THINK & GROW RICH was one of two books that turned my life around, the other book was More Wealth Without Risk by Charles Givens which is to personal finance what Think & Grow Rich is to Personal Success. I make it a habit to review both books and their tape programs continously and get continued results and ideas.
22 comments|525 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you asked me to recommend to you the single best success book I have ever read, my answer would be a very definite "Think and Grow Rich".
This review was written for the original version, which is the core of this version. This revised edition has more recent examples.
88 comments|297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2004
Napolean Hill spent over 20 years interviewing the most successful men of his time and then put the findings of his study; the characteristics of the most successful people in Think & Grow Rich.The fact is that successful people think differently. This is why a multi-millionaire can lose his entire net worth and have it all back in five years or less while unsuccessful people plod along and never amass any real level of wealth or success.Hill states that when the secret appears to you, whether it be in the first ten pages or on the 200th page, that is when your life will change.This is when you are ready for it.I have known people who read the book and never got it. Not surprisingly, these people have never achieved very much in life either. If you don't get it...you don't get it.Think & Grow Rich is a must read for all those who want success and are ready for it.I wish you the best of succe$$, happiness and wealth.
0Comment|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2003
Although this book has been around since the 30's, it is still head and shoulders above the others.
The title can be misleading. You do need to think and by reprogamming your mind with these time tested and proven techniques, you will become rich.
The most beneficial part of the book to me was the exercise of holding a mental picture of myself for 30 minutes per day along with affirmations.
All I can say, is that it works, it really works.
22 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2002
This book teaches what we never learn in school---the principles of success.I own book the book (Action Pack) and the cassette tapes which I play in my car. I never fail to pick up a new idea everytime I read the book or listen to the tapes. I recommend Success through a Postive PMA by Hill and Turner, Turner, Turner: The King of Network Marketing.
0Comment|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2004
A biblical phrase says; "Faith without deeds is death." Think and Grow Rich will teach you how to use your brain to create wealth, but you also have to take action to make it work.
Great book. Transformed my life. Highly recommended.
0Comment|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2000
I have read over 400 books on personal development. Think and Grow Rich is the best.It's not just positive thinking, but also strategies and techniques to reach your goals.It's great to see Napolean Hills great book has such a high rating here at Amazon and is still one of the best selling books.If you want just one book, this should be it.If you are in business or want to be or in a leadership role, I also suggest Direct From Dell by Michael Dell. If Napoleon Hill were alive today and interiewing the most successful people of the times, surely Michael Dell would be at the top of his list.I am also sure that Mike Dell has read and applying the strategies from Think and Grow Rich.Read and apply the techniques from both books and you can't help but be successful.
0Comment|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse