5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource!
I just got my first cat (she's 6 months old) and have been searching around desperately ever since for a good, solid reference book full of everything I need to know to keep my cat healthy and happy. A kind of "Our Bodies, Our Selves" for my pet, you could say. But most of the books I found were all pictures, no substance.
I stumbled across this one...
Published on March 13, 2000 by Meg Brunner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner's guide
The information is helpful, easy to read, and seems intended for people who haven't lived with cats. For those who have, there aren't any new insights into the care and feed of or psychology of cats.
Published on March 21, 2006 by Eleanor Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource!, March 13, 2000
Meg Brunner (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss (Paperback)
I stumbled across this one when I found it on a sale table. I thought it was just going to be a handbook on cat psychology, but it turns out it's much, much more!
This book has information on just about everything you would ever need to know about taking care of your kitty. It's got a chapter on every subject I had a question about, plus informational lists (like, of which houseplants are poisonous), very detailed and easy-to-follow instructions (like, on how to do CPR on your cat), and extremely innovative ideas and solutions to common problems (like, how to keep your cat off your kitchen counters).
I heartily recommend this book to everybody who has a cat or is thinking about getting one. It's terrific!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book for Cat Owners, July 31, 2001
There is so much misinformation about cats that it's a welcome treat to have a book that gives us insight into things that are important to them. Cats love security. They love a familiar setting. They like a routine, but they can become bored if we don't play with them regularly. The author has fine suggestions on effective play. She also has excellent thoughts on how cats try to communicate with us. It took me a long time to figure out what my cat was trying to tell me, but you can get it nicely from this book. The volume has useful information on cat health, but its great value is in helping you think like a cat. Every cat owner would be wise to have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for Owners of Cats of All Ages, May 13, 2000
Casey Greenfield (Villas, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I checked out this book at the library, and I am now buying it. Don't think that this is a book for someone who JUST bought a cat! I have owned a cat for 5 years and I still found all the information in this book helpful. Pam explains everything in clear, concise words, so you don't get caught of in the middle of the book thinking "What the heck is a cytoplamatic inherited gene?" I strongly urge you to buy this book whether you are about to buy your first kitten or if you have been a cat owner for 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pet book I've read in decades, February 8, 2000
steve (Kansas City) - See all my reviews
You could call this book a behavioral first-aid kit. "Think Like A Cat" will save my cat's life. I was contemplating putting her to sleep. When I called my vet, he was the one who suggested this book. After reading it, I realized the things I'd been doing wrong. My cat is much happier now and so am I. There's so much valuable information in this book about every behavioral problem in cats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Like a Cat, December 4, 2005
I have owned cats for over 30 years, and I have bought many books on feline behavior, but this is by far the best resource I have ever found on the subject. I thought I knew everything about cats, but Pam taught me many things I did not know before. This book has become my "Cat Encyclopedia", if not my "Kitty Bible," with valuable information on everything from how to introduce a new cat into my household, to helping to save one of cats from death by curing her horrible problem of inappropriately urinating on my dining room carpet. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a first-time cat owner, to anyone considering getting a cat, and even to veteran cat Moms like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, March 15, 2006
This is a very useful book, especially if like me, you end up adopting two adult cats from a shelter, both traumatized and unsocialised (and one of them a Maine Coon !).

This book has provided me with a lot of insight in their behaviour, tips on how to ease their fears, socialise them and make them, less than two months later, the two happy, sure. sleek cats that are purring now on my coach, near my dog, that, thanks to another helpful section of the book, survived quite unscathed this process. This book made me also avoid costly mistakes with litters, foods etc. (while I disagree with the author on the enclosed litter trays, as my cats like them and they do limit sand spills) and how to make my existing furniture cat frendly, with some unexpensive and easy additions and modifications.

So, really well worth reading, well written and quite pleasing to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book I've been waiting for, February 21, 2000
Gabrielle (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I was amazed at how insightful this book was. I discovered so many things that I'd been doing wrong. Since applying Pam's methods, my cats have become better behaved and appear much happier. The book is written with humor and sensitivity yet packs a gutsy punch with respect to the dos and don'ts of training cats.
Now whenever I look into the eyes of my four cats, I feel as if I know what they're thinking. I plan on giving this book to all the cat owners I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on cat care, April 11, 2000
Kimberly (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I am a new cat owner and needed a good book on cat care and training. This book is the best I have read so far. It is very comprehensive and is very easy to understand. Everything is spelled out in clear and concise terms for us new cat owners. Even people who have had cats for years will benefit from the material in this book. I would recommend this book for anyone with a cat or contemplating getting one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This author must have been a cat in a past life!, July 17, 2002
The author's insight into cat behavior is almost supernatural. After fostering over 100 cats through rescue groups, I recognize that this book is "right-on" with its suggestions and remedies. Well organized and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars With this book, you'll see the world through kitty's eyes!, July 22, 2002
Before this book, I was going nuts with my two kittens. I didn't understand why they would scratch my rugs, walk on table tops and eat my plants. After having read this fantastic book, I completely understand what's going on in their minds (well, almost) and our relationship has gotten so much better. Now, I cannot even live without them and my cats have brought me so much joy in my life. This book made a difference between night and day... Pam knows cats best.
The book is easy to read, funny and really in tune with the cat owner in mind. She provides plenty of resources and information. Even my vet has to consult her book for understanding cat behavior! This is a must buy and every cat owner should have one on their bedside!

Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss
Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss by Pam Johnson-Bennett (Paperback - Jan. 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01