4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading
I read the book in one sitting, and I liked it.
Published on December 7, 2008 by S. Robinson

1.0 out of 5 stars no substance
Published on November 18, 2006 by Good Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars no substance, November 18, 2006
This review is from: Think Like a Guy: How to Get a Guy by Thinking Like One (Paperback)
I wish I could give this book less than one star. First the title: Think like a guy, it doesn't tell you at all how to think like a guy or what guys think. This book only gives you a list of tips on how to be fake with a man. The title should be "Lie, Pretend, and Be Confusing" She actually tells you to change who you are and to play games. Like one tip is to always call *67 so he doesn't know it's you. And one tip is to order out and dirty up dishes so that he thinks you cooked (which isn't fair to those of us who really know how to cook- what girl can complete with take out?) So now what happens in the long term when he finds out that you lied and the betty crocker that he fell in love with is a phony?

Second, it has no substance. The chapters are about a page long (some only a few words long) which states the tip and then a few paragraphs about the tip that says nothing more than what the tip said. The book basically could have been a list of 66 tips- nothing more nothing less. This book is a 20 minute waste. There are far better books.

1.0 out of 5 stars New title "How to get a guy by lying about yourself", April 23, 2007
This was an easy read, short, and at times funny. Sure it might be good if you are just looking to find a date or a friend with benefits...but if you actually are looking for something quality...dont get this book. All it does it tell you how to lie about yourself or how to act like a guy in ways that us girls hate. I mean if you want to snag a guy by lying to him...marry him and then he finds out it was all a lie...then what? Divorce? I mean...honesty is the best policy and honestly...this book is not worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars As Awful as She Is, November 3, 2006
What a terrible waste of time and money. This relatively short book is separated into `chapters' telling women how to be more like men - for example: sleep with a guy and leave right after, don't call, lie about your sexual experience, pretend to be busier than you are, order in and pretend you made the food, etc. The `chapters' were each about a page, some even less, because there is clearly no substance behind the writing. Depandi is annoying on tv, and she's even more annoying in the book - from the outset she tells you to look elsewhere if you want a more `edcuated' read. She uses trailer-trash language throughout the pages and doesn't show herself to be either smart or a very good writer. Additionally, she paints herself as a promiscuous woman by constantly making references to her many boyfriends and experiences. Where did the content for the book come from? From her many experiences with men,, so she says. It's obvious why she went through so many men - no decent guy would put up with her and the games she's playing for very long. Her `methods' are ridiculous and will make you a liar from the outset of the relationship. Zero stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly don't know what to make of this :-l, August 21, 2006
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
E Host Guiliana DePandi wrote this because she thinks we have a lot to learn from guys. We are the ones that will sit around eating ice cream because he hasn't called and yet guys don't do that - they get up and move on, so we could do well to do the same. But while she tells us all the things that we should do to get a guy, she's also saying we have to be ourselves! Hello!!!!! That makes no sense.
One of the themes in the book is to be cool and distant and not to let him think he is a priority. Most guys I know, would walk if we didn't pay the right amount of attention.
She also says not to obssess over babies and puppies - wait until further into a relationship. Well if you aren't honest from the start, and hide who you really are, that can be a big problem. She says we should Forget Stuff. Don't be bugging him about anniversaries and birthdays etc. Sure, don't mention the one week aniversary or the two month anniversary, but I'd definately remind him of a one year anniversary or a birthday.
I really think Guiliana should stick to hosting TV and not try to make money with a book that is probably more of a deal breaker than any help at all. If you want a little free advice, I think all anyone needs to do is to simply be yourself. It may be cliche but it's true.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, December 7, 2008
I read the book in one sitting, and I liked it.
Most of the info, were about things I already knew. But alot of the tips were VERY informative and helpful, expecially to a woman who quickly falls in love or is too quick to jump into a relationship. Some of the info I didn't agree with, like never admiting to have had more than 5 sex partners. However for the most part, the tips were great, and even I learned quite a bit of things. & this is comming from someone who is known to "think like a guy". It's a great book for someone in their late teens through twenties. But, older readers will probally find the information found in the book rather silly or conniving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tips!, September 8, 2006
Lena "Lena" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This book is well-written with some really GREAT tips. Honestly, I don't know that all of them are practical and, unless you're secretly growing a [...], might just not be "do-able" as a female. But, she does reveal some GREAT insights into how men view various female behaviors and is WELL WORTH a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars She didn't expect everyone to get it, I don't think., September 21, 2009
This book is for those with a sense of humour. The bottom line is...men generally (yes, not all men, blablabla, we know, nobody is insinuating that all 3 billion plus men are the same) do not sit around crying when you don't call, they don't get completely mushy on the first date, and they don't insinuate wanting to spend their whole life with you on the first date. Many women do that. The majority of women who do that are single women. This book is for them. This book isn't for women who don't do that. It's pretty self explainatory.
We all have an aspect of it, and in little degrees it can be cute and just part of our personality. To me, it seemed like she was addressing the women who have the CrazyCombo package, cooing over babies, calling men to scream at them 'cause they didn't call withing three days, dressing and acting like Paris Hilton to get a guy, etc.
It's like with ANY how to book. You take what you need and leave what you don't.Most of it was just silly, I found her writing really silly, but I did get some common sense advice, like not getting a guy's number, 'cause if he doesn't want my number, I don't want to waste my time with him. For me and my personality and busy schedule, it makes sense not to. That may not be for everyone and their personalities and schedules.
Whatever, people will always criticize, but it's a fun and easy read.
But, I'd get it at the library...

2.0 out of 5 stars Become a man to get a man?, July 1, 2011
Saluki (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
First off, the logic of the book makes little sense. The author starts off by listing things that girls do and guys don't, implying that most women who do these feminine things (such as coo over puppies and aspire to be housewives) never get/keep men. And yet, she supplies no statistics or even logic to back this up. In a nutshell, she implies that straight men want men with women's bodies. I think most guys would disagree. It's just another book that values masculinity over femininity.

Secondly, and most importantly, the book encourages lying and changing yourself. Perhaps the silliest tip is the one that advises that you not own a dog that can fit in your purse. Perhaps I'm being biased, as I have a dog that can (though I never put him in one), but this just smacks of changing oneself for the sake of others ("I can't let anyone think I'm like Paris Hilton, so time to get a Labrador for the apartment"), and implies that all small dog owners are shallow, silly, and female. If a man cannot stand small dogs and refuses to give one a chance, you don't need to be dating him.

Which leads to my last gripe about this book: it relies too heavily on stereotypes, as if most women have no career aspirations, or go around saying "that's hot" like Paris Hilton... Perhaps the author doesn't think this, but she revolves an awful lot of her tips around these, to which I replied, "well duh, you shouldn't do that..."

I only give this book two stars because a handful of the tips were actually good, if mostly obvious, such as waxing and not cursing--strangely enough, the tips that supported something more feminine.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, November 11, 2010
I really like Giuliana and was very excited to read this book. I had recently gotten out of a long term relationship and was needing something to jump start me back into the dating world. The main reason my ex and I didn't last is most of what he had told me was a lie and the true him eventually came out. It took a year and a half for the real him to manifest. I was devastated and felt like I did all my homework up front. This book was the WORST thing for me to read. Basically all it tells you is to lie and pretend to be someone you are not. Yes, I agree most girls are impatient and at times can scare men off. However, then you need to read "He's not that into you." There wasn't ONE piece of advice in this book that I will follow. It's completely superficial and am amazed that she actually got married. Again, I love Giuliana. I've been a fan for a very long time. Still in denial she is actually this fake on the inside. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!

1.0 out of 5 stars is this a joke?, September 5, 2006
Vienne (Tucson, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This book is insulting if not laughable. Ladies, don't think like a guy - you're a gal. You do not have to change who you are and your goal in life should be to live a fulfilling life - not trick a guy into being with you.

I have to put Giuliana DePandi down as one of those women you should not look up to or seek out for advice. She needs to stick to journalism and leave the advice to the experts. Even her journalism abilities are questionable - are they giving away masters degrees in D.C.?

Think Like a Guy: How to Get a Guy by Thinking Like One
Think Like a Guy: How to Get a Guy by Thinking Like One by Giuliana DePandi (Paperback - June 27, 2006)
$14.99 $13.16