Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now HTL

VINE VOICEon September 6, 2012
Gary Scheiner's first edition of this book was excellent, it's hard to believe that he could improve on it so much.

Full disclosure: I've used Gary's services at Integrated Diabetes Services and benefited greatly from his help. My diabetes technology blog is mentioned in the book. I have had type 1 diabetes for 40 years, this book informed and motivated me.

Think Like a Pancreas starts with Gary's diabetes diagnosis story - this guy really gets diabetes because he's had Type 1 since 1985. He has used many different types of diabetes insulin pumps, blood glucose meters, and continuous glucose meters (CGM).

The second chapter (What's the Dang Diddly Point?) focuses on the reasons why blood glucose (BG) control is important. Instead of telling you just about 'complications', Gary explains that improved control will give you energy, reduce your appetite, keep you healthier, and give you the ability to lift cars with one hand. OK, I'm just kidding about the last one. But this chapter is motivating and empowering, you'll WANT to work at improving you BGs after reading this one.

As he says at the start of the chapter "Taking care of diabetes is really just an ongoing series of small sacrifices, costs, mental efforts, and time commitments." We're never going to achieve perfection, but we can constantly improve diabetes control.

The remaining chapters talk about: the different types of diabetes; the keys to controlling these, including even lancet choices; basal (background) and bolus(meals, BG corrections) insulins; the many factors that can affect your BG levels (and how even the best controlled are out of range 25% of the time); places to get support and help, including a huge number of excellent websites; and companies that provide various diabetes-related products.

The appendices are: logsheets; carb factors for various foods; glycemic indices for foods; and a useful table of carb amounts to cover exercise.

Phew, a lot of information. But Gary writes extremely well and this is book is easy to read, though you'll end up highlighting and marking many parts of it.

I strongly recommend this essential book for people with diabetes, parents of children with diabetes, and medical folks who are treating diabetic patients. Over the years I've purchased many copies (1st edition and this one) to give to folks who are struggling because of diabetes. It's just excellent.
on August 6, 2013
Lots of positive chatter about this book, so I ordered it. My DH is 52, lifelong Type 1, super-active so we're always looking for useful tidbits.

Unfortunately this book's content is pretty elementary. It would be an improvement over the pamphlet you got when you were first diagnosed, but it would certainly be useful only in the first 6 mos - 1 year or so, and then only if your lifestyle is pretty plain vanilla. If you work unusual hours or rotate shifts, if you travel constantly or have a job with loads of stress, if you're extremely athletic, if you have other health issues that seriously affect control, if you're determined to go for tight control, this is not the book for you.

Scheiner skips the hands-on details of how to do a lot of things (like down-and-dirty details of adjusting basals and boluses for pump users in complex scenarios). He gives the Readers Digest version but not the super-detailed version. As you'll see throughout the book, Scheiner would like you to consult with his diabetes practice to deal with these trickier situations. Just my personal opinion, but I don't think plugs for your business belong in the actual content of a book like this. If you want to plug your diabetes consulting practice, stick it on a separate page at the front or back of the book.

*MY* advice for complicated scenarios is that you need a DIFFERENT book, Pumping Insulin: Everything You Need to Succeed on an Insulin Pump. This is an invaluable and unique toolbox for anyone with Type 1. I think we have bought the last three editions and in each edition Walsh and Roberts have added new tidbits and suggestions (and I am not usually someone who shells out for multiple editions of the same book).

As I said in a comment, Pumping Insulin is truly like the doc/CDE you WISH you had but can never find. My hubby is an ultramarathoner, triathlete, century cyclist and the PI book has been extremely helpful in troubleshooting lows after all-day training/events, figuring out how best to adjust boluses and basals and food for different activities (swimming and running - very different!) and so forth.

(Sheri Colberg's Diabetic Athlete's Handbook, 2d ed, is also very useful for Type 1 people who are seriously physically active, but if I could only have one book, I'd take PI over Diabetic Athlete. And I wouldn't bother with Think Like A Pancreas at all.]

The only downside of PI is that it is for smart people who aren't scared of numbers. It's not for Everydiabetic. It's for folks who want tight control and have the brains and analytical affinity to dive in. It's the ultimate self-management book.

If that's not you, that's cool - but Think Like A Pancreas isn't going to do the trick for you either, unless you're one of those "plain vanilla" folks I mentioned above.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
I consider myself a very good diabetic in terms of vigilance and glucose control...and this book was a fantastic refresher course while teaching me new things, as well. It actually solved two or three mysteries for me that would have made things easier in the past had I known them. I will likely reread this once a did a great job motivating me to work for tight control.
on March 8, 2012
I was excited to get my hot off the press copy of the new and improved (2nd edition) of Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin written by, in my humble opinion, one of the go-to-experts today for people with diabetes who take insulin, Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE. What I love about Gary (yes, I'm a member of his fan club), is that he is tremendously knowledgeable and at the same time extremely practical. In his down-to-earth approach he offers a plethora of innovative out-of-the-box tips for taking care of the everyday, literal and figurative, ups and downs of diabetes using insulin.

A big plus of Think Like a Pancreas is Gary's writing style. It's easy-to-read in part because he dovetails his dry wit and fun-loving personality to make, what's dry as a bone material, into a page turner.

Throughout the book Gary creates imagines and uses metaphors to teach and make his points. And if you're a sports fan, you're in luck. Gary is. Therefore many of his metaphors are sports related....I believe baseball and basketball are his favs.

Here's an example, on the very important topic of timing of rapid acting insulin: "However, people with diabetes are like a baseball player with very slow reflexes. We're in the batter's box facing a pitcher who throws 98-mph fastballs; by the time we swing, the ball is already in the catcher's mitt. Rapid-acting insulin that is injected takes about 15 minutes to start working, sixty to ninety minutes to peak, and three to five hours to finish working..."

The book starts with Gary's story about the onset of his diabetes and a bit about how he has managed for now more than 30 years. But that just helps you get to know Gary. He moves quickly onto the many ways good control of diabetes can help stay healthy for both the short term (day to day) and the long term (over your many years).

Gary gives detailed explanations of how and why type 1 and 2 diabetes develop. He also covers LADA - latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (occurring more and more frequently and often initially misdiagnosed).

Gary offers great perspective and history of how the tools available to manage diabetes have changed. He knows first-hand because he has lived through much of this transformation over the past 30 years. He provides excellent descriptions (along with excellent black and white photos), graphs, charts and more about the different types of insulin and their action curves, why and how to choose certain size and type of insulin syringes, pens and pen needles. He details the history, current value and variety of glucose monitors, He brings you up to date on the variety of insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors (CGM) on the market as well as a glimpse into future technology.

Several sections are very useful for people doing intensive management, such as record keeping, data analysis, trend tracking, evaluating your basal and bolus dosing. You'll also benefit from tips on the important topic of timing of rapid acting insulin, (or as I call it, ain't so rapid, rapid acting insulin), and serves up tips to time this insulin to minimize post eating highs.

If I fault one area of the book it's Gary coverage of the critically important nutrition management aspects of diabetes (yes, perhaps I'm biased). In spots the content is outdated, such as on sugar substitutes and in others doesn't completely reflect the scientific evidence, such as on glycemic index. GI is presented in a simplified manner and as an absolute system to choose foods. Reality and science is that the impact of a food and meals (which is the way we eat) is way more complex than just using glycemic index.

Thoughout Think Like a Pancreas Gary does not mislead you about the challenges of managing diabetes and insulin therapy. He makes it very clear just why it is so hard to control glucose levels and offers myriad ways to manage the many real-world situations and real life.

All in all, I love this book and think it's a terrific addition to your diabetes bookshelf if you manage your diabetes using insulin.
on September 16, 2012
This book is easy to read and puts away all the myths about insulin therapy for managing diabetes. Every healthcare practitioner and their support personnel and diabetes patients taking insulin must read this book.
on March 11, 2012
I got the urge to buy this book from bloggers on the ADA website. I felt this book was for beginners. I have had diabetes for 36 years and found nothing I didn't already know. Also it chronicles this authors personal story of his life with diabetes and the hisotry of products over the years that we as diabetics have had to manage our diabetes with. It ranges from the first glucose meters to the first pumps. I didn't need a history lesson, I have lived it. This is also the second updated version of this book. I did not read the first version. I would not recommend this for us lifers.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
We have a recently diagnosed type 1 child late September 2012. This book explains much better than the doctors have time for what we need to understand to manage diabetes as best we can. The book is a great comfort, a tool to help us manage the situation, and provides insights on how to live as great and long a life as possible under type 1. Of several books we've read this is the best.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
This book is not for those who are looking for a quick-and-easy fix to their insulin regimen, but it is a wealth of knowledge with fantastic resources all in one place. I've been Type I for 22 years, on a pump for 11, and thought I knew all the ins and outs of diabetes management already, but picked up the book in the hopes that it would help me bring my sugars into a range acceptable for conception. Although a lot of it I did already know, there was a fair bit that I didn't - or that had changed in recent years. With the help of this book, I dropped my AIC nearly a whole percentage point in just 3 months!

I especially appreciated the tables and formulas (both within the body of the text and in the appendices); for example, I didn't realize that there were actual formulas for how many carbs to eat for certain types of exercise, and the tables to that effect have been a Godsend. The glycemic index table is one of the most extensive I've seen, and since I have the kindle version of this book, I can carry around this resource with me everywhere on my smartphone. If you're already an expert, you can still learn something from this book, and if you're a novice but looking for all that hidden info - here it is. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to take further control, and is willing to go the extra mile to manage their diabetes successfully.
on February 8, 2014
When I suggested this book to him, a friend, also diabetic, but not a "reader of books" (my expression), said that every book has a different idea and he goes with what his doctor says. As he was stuffing pizza and pasta into his face as fast as he could.

I know. Ideas on this have changed so much and the impact on the poor slob who has to deal with it is pretty hard.

I wish I had not bought this as a kindle but as a paper book. Because it is something you want to refer to, to put post it-notes in and all that stuff. And not have to screw around with charging this or that.

This for a T1 or hard T2 is a handbook you want to have available without screwing around with electronics. That's what I think. Or maybe you can read it and incorporate it and merge.

Info overload. But I think this is a good one to start with and retain.
on April 4, 2013
I read the original "think like a pancreas" a couple of years ago and loved it. It was the first book that really educated me about type 1 diabetes. It was funny and informative. This newer version is more serious and a bit more difficult to read. Since there are so many more tools out there, there is a lot more to say. I would recommend this book to any and everyone newly diagnosed with Type 1 and those who have it for years, but never really learned how to take care of it.