4.0 out of 5 stars You call THAT a handle?? (UPDATED 1/11/10)
Published on December 24, 2009 by Marsha Elder

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken handle right of of the box
One side of the expandable handle was broken where it attaches to the main body of the bag. Looks to be a great bag with a lot of good features, but the handle is it's weakness. Quick return and refund from Amazon, but now a little afraid to reorder this bag because of the handle.
Published 16 months ago by Anthony Miele

4.0 out of 5 stars You call THAT a handle?? (UPDATED 1/11/10), December 24, 2009
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
Okay, I don't know what's going on here because I have a Think Tank backpack and think the quality is top shelf. This $329 rolling camera bag body looks great and is very well built as I would expect from a Think Tank. However, when I extended the handle, I was, let's just say, shocked to see how poor the quality was. I've owned a number of rolling bags in my life and this was literally the flimsiest, most rickety handle I have yet to see on a rolling bag, of any brand or price!

I was really disappointed to see this because this bag is designed to house a 500mm lens, a 70-200mm and a couple of bodies. So, we're talking about gear valued in the neighborhood of $12,000 to $15,000 range? (depending on the bodies) and weighing in at least 17 lbs plus the 14 lbs of the bag. W-H-O in their right might would transport $15,000 worth of gear with a handle that feels like it's about to give out from the moment it's taken out of the box? Not me, that's for sure. I'm so surprised by the inferior quality that I'm going to call Think Tank directly and inquire. I just don't want to believe that this is what they call quality. How can you product a 5 star bag then put a .25 star quality handle on it?

I want to try another bag because it's construction and size is exactly what I need so if I just got a lemon, I will definitely post another review.

***UPDATED REVIEW JANUARY 11, 2010***

Okay, here's the deal. I went to a local camera shop that carried the bag and gave a try. The handle felt sturdier than the one I got from Norman Camera so I decided to call Think Tank Photo and ask them about my issue. The rep I spoke to told me that although I was not the first to complain about the handle, he also assured me that he had never seen one come back because the handle broke so I decided to give this bag another try, this time Adorama, I company I know and trust.

Guess what? The handle is still not rock solid but it's DEFINITELY better! AND this time it can lock at second tier so that shorter people can comfortably roll the bag too. I'm really glad I gave it another try so I've increased my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars. If Think Tank would make the handle that didn't shake I would give it 10 stars because like I said from the start, these guys know how to make camera bags.

Think Tank and Adorama also know how to talk to their customers, unlike Norman Camera because instead of using good customer service skills and trying to make an unhappy customer feel better about their shopping experience, I got an email from those guys calling my review "a rant." I was in the customer service business for years, that's NOT what you do when you've got an unhappy customer on your hands because in our case, repeat business was the name of the game.

Here's my closing advice:
The bag is good if you need to carry 500mm, a 70-200mm, a wide angle, and a couple of bodies internationally and BUY THE BAG DIRECTLY FROM AMAZON OR ADORAMA.

I hope I've helped somebody out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Bag. Finally! Pay the $$$ now, save the $$$ later., August 15, 2012
David (WILTON, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
There are a lot of camera bags out there. There are a lot of good camera bags out there. There are VERY FEW great camera bags out there. This is a GREAT camera bag. And, it's one of the ONLY internationally sized bags out there. Think Tank is a small company with EXCELLENT customer service. When looking into the bag, I called them, and they are the ones who sold me on it. Their warranty is: if it breaks, call us, we'll make it better for free.

I looked at buying this bag 3 years ago. A few things scared me off. #1, The price. It's an expensive bag to say the least. #2, It didn't have a dedicated laptop sleeve, and the "low dividers" solution seemed inadequate to me. #3, No backpack straps. #4. Think Tank is a small company, and didn't have nearly as wide of a distribution back then (i.e. I couldn't get it Amazon Prime back then and didn't want to pay big shipping costs . . . ) So, I bought a Tenba Rolling Shootout. A good camera bag which satisfied many of the above requirements (still expensive, though.)

3 years later: I've never used the backpack straps on the shootout. Too heavy. The laptop sleeve is virtually useless. Hard to get in and out of it, and awkward for airport usage. And, the design of the rolling apparatus leaves a lot to be desired. The single handle design makes the bag tend to rotate around when you are wheeling it. The sleeve and the roller handle take up a lot of valuable camera space. And, it's rounded at the top, taking away more camera space. There are "convenient" pockets on the outside that stick out and make it hard to position in an overhead compartment or under a seat. More over, they make the bag attract attention as potentially being bulky and heavy.

OK, so why say all this in a review of Think Tank bag:

Every inch of this bag has been thought out in excruciating detail.

Even though this bag is not as deep on the exterior as many other bags on the market, the interior depth is larger than most. The telescoping handle only takes up a portion of the top of the bag, but this works in your favor when carrying a camera body with lens in place. It makes a good supportive structure that is easy to retrieve your camera from. Compared to the Tenba, I can stack my 70-200 f/4L with the hood reversed on top of a speedlite, The lack of the laptop sleeve and back straps adds about 2 inches of depth despite being 2 inches more shallow on the exterior. The international sizing makes this bag about 3/4 of inch too shallow to stand the lens up, but I could in a pinch. For certain you could in the Airport Security 2.0 domestic version.

EVERY inch of this bag is usable. There are no sections that are curved and therefore hard to put your equipment in. There is a nice front compartment for storing things like pens, passports, etc. And, the stretch compartment on the front will easily hold a 15 inch laptop in a sleeve.

Moral of the story: Don't spend $700 to buy two bags. Spend the money once and buy THIS bag. You will be happy. It carries a METRIC BUTTLOAD of stuff.

And, for those who like this stuff: Here's what I have in my bag ATM:

Canon 5DMIII with 24-105 f/4L IS attached.
Canon 50D body.
Canon 70-200 f/4L IS with lens hood reversed (and the hood for the 24-105 around that hood) and in soft case.
Canon 17-40 f/4 with lens hood reversed and in soft case.
Canon 85 mm f/1.8
Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II (Nifty Fifty)
Canon Speedlite 580X II in a Tamrac Case
1954 Rolleiflex MX-EVS Type I
Black Rapid Sport Strap
Battery chargers for both cameras.
Batteries for both cameras.
Giottis Medium Rocket Blower
Various filters in the square plastic B+W cases they came in.
Cables, card readers, etc. etc. etc.

Plenty of room, and everything is well cared for. I could easily find room for another lens or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, The Bag I've Been Searching For, May 14, 2010
PD (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
The other reviews are really well-written, no need to babble on, but I will say that after years of trying bunches of bags and never being totally satisfied, I've found the most near-perfect case available. GREAT quality, tons of room to spare, well thought out divider system, and thankfully a small zippered pocket on the outside for wallet and keys and boarding pass, etc! You'd be surprised how many other brands leave that out!

I did consider the bigger Think Tank Airport Security, in fact, I mulled over that one for days, but it just seemed a bit too big for comfort (unless you have a LOT of gear of course). I went with the International, hoping it wasn't going to be too small. Not even close! I've got room to spare and then some. I carry a 5D Mark II with several lenses including 70-200mm, plus Rode mic and some accessories, and I could easily fit a 300mm/2.8 in there and still have room left.

The build quality is the part I really like, those zippers are MEATY and strong. The outside sleeve fits my 17" Dell E1705 that's in a BodyGlove case... tight, but fits. This case is worth the price! What's not perfect? The handle, it does feel somewhat flimsy. It's fine for my gear, but I wouldn't stack a separate laptop backpack on top of this case, the handle probably wouldn't like it. Showstopper? Not at all, this case is so well made in every other aspect, it's a hands-down winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Tank V 2.0, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
The Think Tank is an excellent rolling bag. I am getting too old to carry around all of my gear. I purchased this mainly for air travel but am finding that I use it more for local shooting. With this bag I can roll all of my photo equip around the house, out the door and simply raise it into the car. I can lock the bag to the anchor rings in the luggage area, lock the bag shut, and just leave the bag in the car. The heavy padding also provides some insulation for days in which the car gets hotter or colder than I would prefer. Before this bag, I would grab my preferred lens, camera, maybe a flash, the tripod, and go out. Now I have no qualms about putting all of my gear in the car, because I simply lift the bag up into the car.

The bag is expensive, but well made and is worth the money. There are several external and internal pockets to sort out smaller stuff. The lens pockets are deep enough to hold more than the lenses. So there is plenty of room for us amateurs to carry our equipment. The pros will have to give their own take on this bag, but they also have assistants, and many pros have an entourage to help them out, so it is a different world than mine.

This is an excellent case for photo gear for either local or distant travel. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, February 25, 2010
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
Someone told me when I started getting serious about photography that I would eventually have a whole closet full of camera bags, and they were right. There's no such thing as one bag that's perfect for every situation. You need several; this is my favorite for air travel.

I've tried backpacks and wheel-less bags, but camera gear is so heavy that I much prefer a wheeled bag. It makes sprinting from gate to gate and wandering around the airport during long layovers so much easier.

This bag is sized for European carry-on standards, which means it's slightly smaller than the maximum US carry-on size. I like that, even for domestic travel, because it means I can tuck a laptop in the stretchy front pocket without going over the limit. (You can buy shorter dividers if you want to put a laptop inside the main compartment, but that won't work for me; I have some lenses that take up the full depth of the bag, like the Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Telephoto Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras.)

It fits easily under the seat or in the overhead bin in a normal plane. Not sure about commuter planes; I think it would have at least fit under the seat, but I was never given a chance to try. They made me check it at the gate every time with commuter jets. The bag is solid enough that I didn't worry my gear would be damaged. That was when having my laptop in the front pocket was convenient, because I could easily remove it and carry it on the plane.

Like others, I don't care for the handle very much. It's difficult to get out; it fits into the bag so tightly that it's hard to get a grip on it, especially if you have small hands. It does seem rather flimsy compared to the average retractable handle. And I, too, have problems getting the handle to stay at the height I want it to. Given the price, you'd expect better. But all in all, a minor annoyance. It doesn't keep me from using this bag whenever I fly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy with this purchase, January 9, 2010
Casual Guru (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
I needed a solid travel bag for vacation and was bringing everything with me for the first time. Think Tank has an impressive reputation and although I use Domke for my shoulder bag, I really liked the build of this rolling case. My ONLY gripe is the handle (as mentioned in another review.) It does feel wobbly and should be more substantial for a rolling bag - that is the only reason for the 4 stars. For this type of $$$, it shouldn't have any flaws. YMMV.

That said, everything else about this item is top notch. It fits in the overhead bin like a dream (my biggest concern since I wanted no issue or fuss about having to check it with $10K worth of equipment inside.) It is well made, offers plenty of flexibility for multiple configurations with all the dividers they supply, and just inspires confidence once you pack your gear and zip it up.

I found it filled faster than I had anticipated, however. Some gear was double stacked (using supplied dividers or the original case, such as the 580EXII flash), which is perfectly acceptable to me, but I was surprised at how small it got with 2 bodies and 5 lenses, plus misc, stuff. I didn't want to go as large as the TT Airport Security so while there is no doubt about the size of that particular piece, the Airport International fit my needs like a glove. I have no doubt that if I chose to reconfigure the bag from scratch that I could fit even more but I'm sort of an isolation freak when it comes to having things touching or rubbing together regarding my camera gear, so those dividers worked quite well - and I still had leftovers!

Bottom line - extremely pleased with my decision and offer an emphatic "highly recommended." For the record, I packed the following gear:

1D3
16-35 f/2.8L - hood in separate slot
580EXII
1.4x TC
extension tubes
misc. odds & ends (chargers, Lumiquest prod., QR plates, etc.) tucked into spare crevices and whatnot.

So you see it does hold a LOT of gear very safely and securely. I hope this helps - Think Tank makes an incredible product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Tank ~ Airport International V 2.0, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
I bought this roller bag after reading many reviews on a number of sites. I needed it for an assignment I was flying to and my regular bag just couldn't handle the job. I wanted something that would hold two camera bodies and at least three lenses including my 70-200 mm lens plus a couple of strobes, extra batteries and other essentials. This bag held it all! It's well constructed. Fits in the overhead of both domestic and international flights. Only two minor quirks. In the instructions for adding a tripod pocket to the side they say there is a buckle to attach it to. Well there isn't. Wrote the company and they got back quickly. On this model you use a buckle that is already used by another strap on the side. Not the easiest thing to negotiate. The other quirk is that the extending handles to pull the bag around feel flimsy and twist around a bit. In their attempt to make this bag light I suppose they had to use less robust aluminum tubing. While it feels flimsy it does handle the job. However, they do warn you not to pick the bag up by the handles due to the heaviness of camera equipment. It would be nice though if the handles were as tough as the bag. And for the price they should be. Other than that, this is a great bag to travel with. Get the low dividers (optional) and you can add a 15 inch laptop! The company (Think Tank) is rock solid too. Dealing with them is great. Check them out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 camera Carry On, August 9, 2012
John F. Bush Jr. (Sterling Heights, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
The carry on camera bag came well packaged and on scheduled from the seller. I recently returned from a trip to Vancouver Island and I vowed never again to travel with a carry-on backpack camera bag. The carry-on is well made, but the dividers with the velcro edges are hard to reconfigure. But that's not a reason to not purchase the bag. Take a little time to try out different partition arrangements in advance of your next trip, and I'm sure you be satisfied with the results. The handle is tucked away under a cover on the top of the bag and is a little flexible, but it should be do fine. Remember you are not towing a 50 pound suitcase around the airport which requires a very stiff handle. The bag is big enough to carry two camera bodies,telephoto lenses and misc. equipment. I look forward to a more enjoyable walk through airports pulling my gear.

John B

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken handle right of of the box, August 18, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for always on the go!, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 (Camera)
Finally! I got my Think Tank International V2.0 from Calumet Los Angeles. I got a 10% discount from the retail price since it was a display item. But everything looks brand new so I can't complain!.
This product is a must have if you travel a lot as it gives you security and comfort. I was able to pack in the following: 1DMark III with 300mm 2.8 IS attached with hood reversed; 5D Mark II with 70-200mm 2.8 IS attached with hood reversed; 24-70mm 2.8 (vertical position); (1)580EXII (vertical position); Canon ST-E2; Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce; battery charger for both cameras and the eneloop battery charger. I used the tripod cup for the Manfrotto 561B monopod and installation was a breeze. I would say the bag would weigh around 40-50lbs with all of those inside.

I used to buy Lowepro products but the last bag that I bought (Slingshot 300aw) the zipper did not last long and was not comfortable.

Think Tank Airport International V 2.0