The good thing about being a photographer for many years is that you accumulate a lot of valuable gear... the bad part is that it is difficult to bring it along with ease. I don't care to leave my bodies, lenses and speedlights at my studio as a break-in could leave me in a bad way. I also do a fair amount of location work and I always seem to need something that I have left behind somewhere, be it at the studio or in another camera bag. My decision to buy this bag was based on a fair amount of research and some experience with trying to get-by with less for years. This bag allows me to carry almost everything that I need at a location shoot (I still carry a small bag with my Q-Flash and battery pack) and it travels SO WELL. I have envied people with rolling bags for some time and now I envy no more. Parked across the lot from the reception hall? No problem. Rapid packing at the church after formals? Bring it. I also know that I will have the right bag for airline travel. The TSA lock and cable lock to secure the bag to a chair or table is a nice touch. The bag is so well constructed and the endless possibilites for arranging dividers is just great. I may pick-up the "low divider set" so I can slip my 15" MacBook Pro in the bag as well. That is a well thought out idea! I did choke at the idea of speeding so much money on that bag but the sting was short-lived and I now feel that I have the right bag for many years to come!

What I carry: Canon 5D and Canon 30D both with grips attached, 3 Speedlights, Fong Lightsphere and an array of other speedlight modifiers including gels, off-camera flash cable, Justin Clamp, 70-200mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 17-40mm f4L, 50mm 1.4 and hoods for all lenses, Sekonic L-358, 3 Pocket Wizards, lens cleaning supplies, electrical and gaffers tape, multitool, flashlight, 2 memory card cases, blower bulb, collapseable reflector, white balance cards, and many other misc. items for that "you never know" situation.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2008
As a long time ThinkTank user, I have high expectations for anything that they offer. Despite these high expectations, I was impressed! The construction is excellent and the features are well thought out.

The only problem with this case is how well it works. You have to be VERY careful that you don't load it over the airline carry on limit of 40 pounds. It is very easy to fit well over 50 pounds of gear into this bag. That's fine for carrying around town, and that is this bags number one duty. I just have to make sure that I lighten the load before I fly.

Would I purchase this bag again? I plan on buying another one!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2009
I just received this bag yesterday, and it is very clear from the outset that it was designed by and for photographers.

I moved from a Lightware MF 1420 case to this one so that I could travel more easily. Upon moving my gear into the Think Tank, I was amazed that there was actually more room that my old case! Granted, it is configured differently, but I am amazed at the amount of gear I can store in this case.

It easily fits two Manfrotto Nano light stands, two Nikon SB-800s, a Nikon digital SLR and assorted batteries, cables, backups and more.

The construction is rugged yet flexible: while I would not want to check it, I wouldn't worry if I had to do so. After filling it with my usual setup and necessities, I was left with more than 10 additional dividers.

This case is well worth every penny. I am very happy with this purchase.
on November 21, 2010
I have had this bag now for about 1 1/2 years. In that time I have taken it on 30+ flights, many of them international. I carry a Canon 30D body, 17-40 lens, 50 1.4, 70-200 f4, 100 macro, flash,along with extra batteries, flash cards, with room for my Bose headphones, ipod, misc cables, power conversion plugs for foreign plugs etc. I haven't actually weighed it all, but it is heavy. I think this is the best bag of this type I have found. I carry another smaller flexible bag in my suitcase to actually carry gear when I arrive, but this is great for getting it there.

Pros:
-solid bag, very sturdy, meant for hard use, materials meant to last (wtih one small exception below)
-with optional lower divider set can also carry laptop
-several sets of pockets on the outside as well as inside so can carry tickets, passport etc. easily accessible
-sized to fit most any airline (except small regional ones that have check in at the airplane, and in that case the sturdy construction is appreciated)
-lots of options for equipment configuration

Cons:
-heavy, even empty
-zipper ties on the back of bag are now about worn through, not sure why since never used. It appears friction from sliding bag into overheads etc. has worn them out
-handle very hard to get hold of (it's very tight unless you have small fingers) and seems very flimsy. So far mine has not failed, but it always seems not quite as well made as rest of bag.
on September 19, 2011
I bought it a month ago, I live in Brazil and so far I have made 2 international flights, 8 national flights and 2 regional jet flights and I'm yet to have any problem with it's size and bulk.

I've used all kinds of camera bags, from rollers to backpacks, hard cases, modular systems, etc. and so far, the Airport Security is the best photo bag in any category I've ever used!

It's so well thought and made, all details are in the right place and you can fit a great amount of gear inside it. TSA locks and security cables are awesome for any frequent traveler, internal dividers the right size/amount, tripod holder works and you can take it away as well, I could go on and on talking about the great features but you can see them all on the manufacturer's web site and they are all great and functional ! Only critic I would post is that the elastic sleeve in front of the bag is too tight so you can't really fit the Artificial Intelligence Laptop Bag when any or both bags are fully loaded.

You can't go wrong with Thinktank products and the Airport Security V2.0 is probably one of the best they make and that is quite a statement!

I'm a full time Pro photographer who is always on the road carrying loads of gear so this is a real world review from an experienced traveler.
on November 29, 2012
I am a pro wedding photographer and I purchased this bag for 3 travel weddings I had this past fall. I wanted the largest bag possible that would still fit as a carryon. This bag may officially be the size on paper, but I can tell from experience that it will not fit correctly in the overhead. You have to put that bag in sideways since it is about 1 inch too long. It barely fits head in on a Jetblue A320, but def will not unless sideways in your everyday 757 or 737. So now you are the guy who's bag takes up two spots in the overhead. The airport international is about 2 inches shorter so go with that bag for air travel. The bag I prefer because of the greater depth and the backpack straps. too bad it is about 2 inches too long.
on November 6, 2013
This should be a long and detailed review but for Amazon's purposes I'll just say the following.

I'm a camera bag whore. I'm a photographer who pays his mortgage taking pictures which means hauling my gear around isn't something I do for fun, I do it for a living. I have a lot of expensive gear which I pay to protect and have it be organized for me. I used bags from most every company. I love shoulder bags but as I've gotten older and my gear has gotten heavier, I managed to tear up one rotator cuff carrying shoulder bags full of gear around. I've been a Think Tank customer for years so I dived in and bought this and it has saved me.

First off, the wheels are awesome. The ball bearing skate wheels glide over payment and cement and handle dirt and gravel with ease. If you've loaded this bag, it's heavy. These wheels are exactly what this bags needs to work.

Second, it's huge. And I mean, big. It won't fit in the overhead on small, regional flights and some national carriers will give you a problem on some flights. I've had mixed experiences flying with it. If I were buying something to fly with as the primary reason, I would want the size down.

But, if you want a big ass bag to fit all your gear into and actually use, it is awesome. I use this bag for 98% of my shoots. And, my shoulder is better. I'm not carrying everything and hurting myself. That, for me, was the big win.

The Airport Security, like everything I've encountered from Think Tank is supremely well built. I don't there is another company making camera gear bags that makes stuff of higher quality. There just isn't any competition. Certainly not from Lowe or Tamrac. Domke is a shell of what it once was. I own one Billingham bag, which I dearly love but for utility it can't touch the gear I've bought from Think Tank.

Warranty, I managed to shear one of the zipper pulls with the large, lid zipper. Yes, you read that right. The big zipper actually guillotined the small zipper pull clean off. So I called Think Tank, they sent me three new pulls and cords within two days. No questions, no hassles. Their support of their customers is second to none.

So, in the end, if you're serious about camera gear, Think Tank, in my opinion, is the only company to go with.
on July 25, 2012
This sucker holds a friggin lot! Here's what I tote around:

I've added a photo up top. This is a break down of everything pictured in it.

My 7D usually stays on my person, but I can shift it back in up top-right.

2nd body - Canon 1DMII | gaffer tape & misc. velcro & bungees | speedlights - Canon 580EXII, Yongnuo 565EX (580EXII clone), LP160 x 2, Canon 430EX | Speedlight grids x2 & snoots x 2, w/ gels & omnibounces underneath | variable ND filter | lenses - 75-300, 50, 85, 10-22, 24-70, 100 macro | extra batteries galore | sekonic light meeter, grey card, camera cords | PocketWizard Plus III x 5, trigger cords | CF cards | flashlight & other misc. tools and doodads.

Besides my grip bag, this does the trick for most assignments - and it is SO HELPFUL on wedding days when I'm extra mobile.
The setups inside are near infinite, so have fun organizing your gear.

The outside has so much else to offer - from tripod support, to various locks and extra compartments. There are even emergency backpack straps!
It's super tough and extra durable as most Think Tank products are.

Hope this helps a bit.
ab
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2010
I travel quite a bit by air. The Think Tank Airport Security Roller Bag is the best large carry-on I've owned by far, and I've used a few! I use this bag in tandem with the "Urban Disguise 40."
There is enough room to pack a full traveling studio.....4 speedlites, 2 bodies, 2 lenses, and all the little stuff that goes along. If I transfer some of this to the "Urban Disguise 40, I have room for my 24 in. monitor if I use the low profile dividers. When I fly, the "Airport Security" goes in the overhead bin, and the "Urban Disguise 40" goes under the seat in front of me. Between the two bags, I have ample room for everything I need for location shooting as well as a change of clothes in case the airline "loses" my checked luggage! An excellent value for the traveling photographer!Think Tank Airport Security V2.0, Carry On Roller Bag for Photo Gear
on October 13, 2009
This bag is very well built. It has alot of good features.
It holds so much equipment that it can be a challenge to lift it up into that overhead bin on the plane. I am very pleased with this bag, & feel that my equipment is very well protected.