4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect

ONA The Bowery vs. Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 vs. Domke F-5XB

Published 4 months ago by R. Reynolds

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 Bag for Medium Size Mirrorless Body, 2-3 Lenses (Camera)
After crossing over into micro 4/3rd territory last year, I needed a bag to better accommodate my growing lens collection, or rather allow me to take a good selection of lenses with me when I want/need more than the bare minimum. While researching I was surprised to see that there are hardly any bags out there that are designed for MFT or compact system cameras. Most bags are too high and 'swallow' the small camera and lenses - apart from the fact that they are then bulky to take along, with a lot of dead, wasted space.

So I was excited to find the Think Tank Mover 20, designed for mirrorless cameras, and here are my comments in no particular order:

PROs:
- Size: A very compact yet spacious bag. The dimensions, especially height-wise, are perfect for probably most if not all mirrorless cameras.
- Weight: Light-weight and not too heavy even fully loaded.
- Materials: This seems to be a very well-made bag. The seams all look good, the magnetic flap is strong enough to hold even when the zipper underneath is unzipped and one carries the bag by its handle. On occasion I had it happen that it didn't hold, but that was usually when I loaded the bag to the max. The rings and swiveling carabiners are metal, and the strap looks well-made as well (Please see Cons for a few other observations).
- Sufficient compartments to store a lot of stuff: The main compartment has two dividers, and one of those double-functions as an open pocket for a phone or small accessory. There is an external zippered pocket that runs the width of the bag and is half-covered by the magnetic flap. This pocket has two open interior stash pockets (which are nicely finished, by the way). One of those stash pocekts contains the bag's rain cover and is attached by a loop. There is also a see-through semi-open pocket on the inside of the lid which closes in the center with Velcro. And finally there are two open exterior stash pockets on each side of the bag, one of which has some stretch to it to accommodate somewhat larger items and the other is a bit gusseted.

CONs (quite minor to me but mentioning these points for completeness anyway)
- Dividers: The dividers are rather thin and not as well padded as in a lot of other brand bags. I assume it was a trade-off to keep the dimensions of the bag as compact as possible, and that's fine by me.
- The strap: While it features metal hardware (as mentioned above) and looks generally well made, I find it rather narrow and it has absolutely no padding of any kind - it is just a plain strap. I might use one of the straps from my other bags because frankly, this is not the most comfortable strap. However, since it is detachable, it is not a big issue.
- I also would have liked to see another zippered compartment on the back of the bag instead of the option to pull through a belt (or the strap) to make this a sort of waist pack. I for one find that fully loaded, this bag would be rather uncomfortable worn at the waist.
- On a strictly personal note, I want to add that I am not fond of the 90% of black or grey camera bags out there. I would love to see this bag in a fun, modern color but alas, it is black and grey... :-(
- 7/18: Someone remarked on my review (see under comments) and stated that leaving the bag unzipped, the magnetic flap does not work for him when he lifts the bag by the handle (bag containing camera with kit lens), and that it falls open every time, endangering his equipment. While it works a lot better on my bag, it is definitely not 100 % secure. So to be safe, it's best to not lift the bag up by the handle at all when it is only closed with the magnets and not zipped shut. The manufacturer should probably rethink this approach altogether...

EQUIPMENT I can fit into this bag (also see 2 pictures I uploaded):
Main compartment:
- Olympus PEN E-P3 with 14-42mm kit lens attached
- M.Zuiko 40-150 mm zoom lens
- M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 lens
- Olympus Macro Converter
Note: With all those lenses in there, the divider that would normally provide space for a phone is almost too squeezed to use it for anything, so I leave it empty.
Lid Pocket:
- Several spare lens caps or ca. 2 small filter bags (Note: My B+W plastic filter boxes do not fit - the Velcro cannot be closed anymore if I try to put those in there). This is also a great space for 2-3 spare batteries or small cables, etc.
Large Zippered Exterior Pocket:
- Small(!)camera manual
- Spare battery or small cable.
- Has the rain cover stored in one of the stash pockets.
Exterior Side Pockets:
- I leave these empty as they cannot be zippered or Velcro'd shut but they could accommodate small items such as spare lens caps and the like.

SUMMARY:
The bag is well designed and thought-out where it counts. The shortcomings are all minor and rather insignificant. I for one am very pleased with this bag and recommend it 100%.

NOTE, 7/17/2013: Turns out that as of 7/15 Amazon has done away with the customer-submitted image feature. My uploaded images were therefore deleted. Sorry about that. I don't agree with Amazon who told me that this feature was not used enough by their customers and that's why they stopped offering it but there is nothing I can do about it.
8/12: Confusion! My images are back - not sure whether Amazon has decided to bring back the Customer Image feature or what's up with that. In any case - they are up again and should they disappear in the future, you'll know what's likely happened. This will be my last comment on this issue now :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars ONA The Bowery vs. Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 vs. Domke F-5XB, August 11, 2014
ONA The Bowery vs. Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 vs. Domke F-5XB

I hauled full frame DSLR around Europe for two weeks with an L zoom lens. Captured great images but I swore I'd never lug that amount of weight and bulk again on vacation. Sold it and bought a mirror less system, the FujiFilm XT-1. I love this camera and needed to get a bag to hold it with the kit zoom lens in place. I like using the lens hood for both image quality and to protect the lens .. so my goal was to find a bag that would allow the camera to be placed in it with the lens and lens hood attached.

I ordered the the three bags above. I put my new camera with the kit zoom lens with hood attached into each bag. I also put the items one would need for traveling such as a charger, spare batter, cleaning cloth, etc. All of these three bags were the perfect size. I returned the Think Tank and Domke and kept the ONA. Here are the pros and cons I found:

Think Tank - It is a boxy traditional camera bag with lots of zippered compartments. Fixed into a rectangular shape so it stuck out further from the waist when carried. Shoulder strap was very thin and would be very uncomfortable. The bag is light in weight but doesn't have a lot of padding. I liked the magnetic closure so if one was shutting a lot you could just leave the zipper open and access the camera very easily. Has a built in rain shield. Was the cheapest. It does say CAMERA. The thing I really didn't like about it was the boxy rectangular shape.

Domke - Looks nice. It was heavier than the Think Tank. Much of the added weight came from the hardware (two gigantic zippers, large strap claps). The shoulder strap was comfortable but thick. The bag flap is held closed with velcro which makes a loud noise and requires a little effort to open. Access to the inside is a opening that runs longwise along the center. One of the industrial size zippers must be slid open. The edges of the opening tend to rest together and there is a plastic zipper on the edge. So pulling the camera in and out requires a little fiddling to avoid brushing it against the zipper edges. No compartments like the Think Tank. The compartment inserts were very thin bent to one side of the other as the bag was compressed which would catch the camera when it was put into the bag. The bag is made in the USA.

ONE The Bowery - A significant disadvantage is it is over twice the price of the other two bags, even more so in the leather versions. However, it looks and feels like substantially higher quality. It is about the same weight as the Domke but has more padding. the shoulder strap is a wide and made of material like an automobile seat belt ... very comfortable. The inside is well padded and the customizable compartment inserts were thick and semi-rigid so they held their position well and did not catch the camera edges then placing the camera in the bag. The bag is designed to collapse down to become flatter around the contents, so it is far more comfortable to carry. Access is extremely easy by pressing a locking bottom clasp and simply open the flap. No zippers anywhere on this bag. A disadvantage is that there are no little hidden secure compartments for a memory card, etc. Lots of side pockets around the exterior, but they cannot be securely closed so a memory card could get lost. I simply took a small plastic box (that had a lens cleaning kit) and put it in the main compartment and that is where I put all the little parts (memory card, spare battery, etc.). It looks a little bit like a purse ... sort of. ... not really as appears to me as more masculine looking in design. My wife thinks that it looks like the "man purses" that are very common in Europe. I think it would be great for female or male photographers.

All in all, none of them are a bad bag. Any of the three would be functional. If weight mattered the most I'd get the ThInk Tank but would have to replace it with a real shoulder strap. If the ONA was out of my price range, probably I'd get the Domke. But the ONA was truly the most comfortable and had the highest quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for MIRRORLESS Cameras, May 31, 2013
My Mirrorless Mover 20 arrived today. I've always been a Lowepro guy until the end. I will continue to be a Lowepro guy. I also must say that I can't testify to the quality and design of any other thinkTank bag, but the Mirrorless Mover 20 is well designed and well crafted. I think it's not a perfect bag, and how many of us ever do really find the "Perfect bag of bags?" But, thinkTank made a good bag. It's perfectly suited for my V2, lenses and accessories. I'm sure that I probably could've found a Lowepro bag that is comparable. One thing that I really appreciate about thinkTank, is that they use metal hardware, instead of plastic, which many of their competitors use. They also have a great magnet closure, which allows for quick access to your gear. You don't have to zip everything up, to secure your gear. I'm extremely content with my Mirrorless Mover 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near perfect for Olympus OM-D system!, June 4, 2013
Jim G. (Southborough, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This is my third try to find a case that fits only what I need, and is not too big.
Fits my OM-D with standard zoom lens, plus a Olympus 75-300mm, plus 1 more small lens.
My search is over, this is perfect.
Well built, and light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but not great., March 26, 2014
I bought this bag to use with my FujiFilm X-T1 camera. I have other lowepro and domke bags but I wanted something really compact with a lot of cushion built in. The domke I have is big, but I don't think offers enough protection and is not something I would take with me say to the beach etc. The lowepro i have is just not a good fit for the x-t1.

This bag is much smaller than i anticipated, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The xt-1 with the 18-55mm lens fits perfectly in this bag with enough room for another lens.

To give you an idea of what fits into this bag here are some examples.
I could fit the x-t1 with 18-55mm & 55-200 in this bag as well as the ef-20 flash. It is tight, but it fits. Alternatively I could fit the X-t1 with 18-55 and the x100s in the bag & the ef-20 flash.

The bag is very well made and has the rain cover built in. I will not use the strap with mine but it seems well made.

I really like the bad and am going to keep it.

Con:
I think the magnetic cover which everyone likes so much is not so good. It makes it tougher to zip the bag and it is dangerous. It can make you think the bag is closed and if it isn't and you lift the bag by the top handle you risk dumping camera onto ground. I think the bag could be redesigned so that it does not flip if it isn't zipped up.

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality and a decent size, November 15, 2013
Pretty much like everything about this bag with two exceptions. First, I think the dividers are a bit too thin. I know this is a small bag so interior space needs to be maximized, but the dividers do not provide as much cushion as I would have liked. Second, the strap isn't very comfortable and although it seems to be of high quality, the rotating metal clips squeak a lot. I think adding a little lube will help with the sound, but I hope I don't have to reapply it often.

This next portion doesn't factor into my rating, but I thought it might be helpful. The bag is nice and small but I wish that it was just slightly bigger. I fit the following into the bag: Nikon V2, 32mm f/1.2, 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, 18.5mm f/1.8, SB-N7 speed light, small lens pen and small micro fiber towel, extra SD card, nikon wireless remote, and 2 extra AAA batteries (for speed light). That's quite amazing that I can fit all this into this tiny bag but I still wish it was slighter deeper (from front to back) and included a padded pocket similar to the next size up TTMM30. I like to walk around cities for a full day and having a pocket for a book or my kindle would have been perfect for lunch time. The 30 is a bit too big and I don't really like the way the top opens, so that's why I ended up choosing the TTMM20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bag for E-PL5 outfit, November 6, 2013
The bag was great on our recent trip to Europe. It fit the Olympus E-PL5 with kit lense, telephoto and prime along with extra card, battery and flash. It has a convenient size. Light enough to carry all day with no issues. Well made out of quality materials. Delivery was on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars great mirrorless bag, August 21, 2013
I got this for my Olympus omd. More and more small mirrorless cameras keep coming out, but no bags for them. This bag fits the bill, I can fit the omd, and 3 lenses with some room to spare. And it comes with a rain cover and is quite small. It weighs virtually nothing and is great for family trips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, but fits a surprising amount -- OM-D EM-1, 2 lenses, flash, and more, March 26, 2014
With some room to spare, this bag can carry the following in the main compartment:

OMD EM1 with 12-40 2.8 attached (no neck strap, just small leather wrist strap), 45 1.8, FL600; or
OMD EM1 with 45 1.8 attached (no neck strap, just small leather wrist strap), 12-40 2.8, FL600 (this configuration is a tighter fit)

In addition, there is room in a zippered smaller area in the front of the bag to carry the small flash that comes with the OMD EM1, a lens pen, spare batteries, etc. Obviously, if you don't have a lens as large as the 12-40 2.8, you'd have more room for another prime, or even two.

It comes with a shoulder strap that is thin and inadequate -- the the strap can be detached amd replaced. I pirated a more substantial strap from another bag.

So, this bag provides a very small form factor that can carry a decent amount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Micro 4/3 Getaway Bag, August 3, 2013
David Hutchinson (Tampa Bay, Florida) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 Bag so that I would have a light kit to take everywhere, but primarily on casual photography trips. It easily stows my Olympus OM-D E5 camera, two lenses...even a compact Olympus TGH waterproof camera plus memory cards and batteries. What can I say? It is light, tough and functional...plus it comes from the great folks at Think Tank!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›