5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for a Fuji X100 & Canon S95 combo
I confess to being obsessed by camera bags. I typically buy about 2 cameras a year -- typically the "latest and greatest -- and se;; the displaced cameras on eBay. Since size, weight and suitability for "street shooting" candids are of the most concern, right now my "kit" consists of a Fuji X100 and Canon S95. About 75% of my shots are taken on cruises where the ship...
Published on September 11, 2011 by Steven M. Frankel

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully built bag, but...
I had been wanting to get this bag for a while, and finally took the plunge. It is a very well built bag, perfectly constructed, not a loose thread anywhere, clearly new but not shiny-new. But after checking it out for a few days, I felt it was not for me, and returned it. Here is a quick run-down of the pros and cons and the reasons for my ultimate decision. As usual,...
Published on October 16, 2011 by Joshi

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, great company, October 6, 2014
This review is from: Think Tank Retrospective 5 Shoulder Bag - Pinestone (Camera)
This is a great bag. It's high quality, well-made, durable, as well as comfortable. The bag easily fits my Nex-7 and any three lenses, as well as filters, a tiny tabletop tripod, cleaning supplies (including a Rocket blower), a remote, extra batteries, lens filters, SD cards... pretty much everything I need.

I was skeptical about keeping the top flap open with "silent velcro", but it turned out to be a great idea - it makes it very easy to take a few shots, then put the camera back quickly. The strap is on the thin side, and that's probably one of the few things I would even consider listing as a con (the other one being the fact that there are, somehow, too many pockets - they do get in the way sometimes).

Think Tank's customer service, however, is the real reason I'm writing this review. These guys are amazing. After two months of using the Retrospective I discovered that one of the velcro patches on the flap of my bag was coming off as the stitching in the corner started to come apart. I messaged Think Tank on Facebook with a photo of the velcro patch and they got back to me right away, telling me to get in touch with customer service over email. I did just that and they asked me to send my bag to them and then priority shipped me a brand new replacement bag right away, I got it just two days later. Again, absolutely great support and warranty service... it's great to see a company that stands behind their product. Solid five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect bag for street photography, February 3, 2014
The best bag I've ever bought. Perfect for a mirrorless body and 4/5 lenses and other stuff.
Really good made and very nice.
Thanks to ThinkTank

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding bag - and you can keep your man card!, December 21, 2014
Very groovy camera shoulder bag and about one of the manliest looking ones I could find (bonus - almost completely matches Air Force ABU coloring and closely resembles a claymore bandolier). Outstanding, rugged material which has been oiled lightly to help with weather resistance. Plenty of dividers if you need them (I use only 2). Also comes with a rain "tarp" but I have no idea how to actually use it, and I haven't really needed it.

It's also not nearly as large as some of the photos make it seem - large enough that it won't be mistaken for a tiny teen's purse, but not so large that it's ever in the way. With M43, it would comfortably hold an E-M1 and 4 lenses. With my Sony A7 setup now, it will comfortably hold the camera (with lens attached) and two other lenses - if I need to push it, I can squeeze in three other lenses (Leica 90mm f/2, Canon 20mm, Pentax 50mm and the FE 35 attached).

3.0 out of 5 stars Very well made camera bag, March 24, 2012
Fabian Gonzales (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a very well made camera bag. Construction feels solid, and it's in many ways well thought out. I really wanted to like this bag, but in the end I returned it.

The reasons:

- The retro-Domke construction, while solid, makes the bag look and feel too utilitarian. I just know that once the bag gets some wear, it's going to start looking really scruffy. Not the look I was after.

- It's a bit too small. I was planning to fit either a m4/3 kit or a DSLR plus a couple of prime lenses in there. The m4/3 kit fits fine, but even if I just put a DSLR with a 50mm lens attached into this bag, there is hardly any room for anything more.

- The dividers are really thin and flimsy. And there are limited velcro attachment points. m4/3 gear is really small, so I was hoping for more practical dividers where I can fit in a lot of lenses, including stacking them vertically. That's not really feasible. You only get two real dividers, plus three wafer-thin extras I didn't really know what to do with.

- The bottom padding is weird. It's split in two, and doesn't fit properly in the bottom of the bag. I guess Think Tank wanted to make the bag a bit more flexible by splitting it, but the end result is the two pieces overlap on the bottom.

- The front pocket will indeed fit a full-size DLSR body, but if you do, the bag becomes ridiculously bulky. So that is not an option in practice.

- The back pocket is a bit too small, just like the rest of the bag. I was hoping to be able to fit a magazine or two in here (upright), but that's not feasible.

- The extra side pockets are not very practical. There is no padding on these, so if you value your gear, it really limits what you put in here.

Bottom line, it's a nice bag, but it was a poor fit for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, but needs a bottom pad, July 17, 2012
Flannery 626 "Cameraman" (Orange County, California) - See all my reviews
I like the bag because cameras fit nicely. HOWEVER, I had adapt the bag because of the lack of padding at the bottom. I put in a camera compartment insert because I wasn't comfortable with the lack of padding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solidly built, but there are some minor issues..., October 10, 2011
I was searching a decent camera messenger bag for my Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens lens. I am also planning to buy more lenses like Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras and Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras and was looking to buy a bag which is large enough to accommodate these lenses along with hoods and lens front and back caps, also carry charger, speed light and camera manual.

After a lot of search for a small camera messenger bag, I have decided to buy ThinkTank Retrospective 5 camera messenger bag. My initial impression - this is solidly built, no doubt - ThinkTank has used best of class materials in making of this bag. Velcros, Zippers, shoulder band, internal dividers - every thing is built with quality material. There is much thought has been applied in the overall designing of the bag.

Now whether these all items will be able to adjust in this bag, I will say yes they are some how, but after all these items, bag becomes so tight that I can not get them out easily. I think I need to leave 1-2 items in my home when going out but overall I admire this bag as it is well built and doesn't look bulky from outside and quite comfortable in carrying, thanks to the heavily padded shoulder pad.

I have also tried Think Tank ~ Retrospective 10, Pinestone but that was very bulky. The another purpose of buying Retrospective bag is, to look inconspicuous, and I think Retrospective 10 defeats that purpose because of its bulkiness. It will be good if you have some large lenses to carry like Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Overall Retrospective 5 is a great bag, I like it's build quality, color and comfortableness in accessing the camera. It is recommended from my point of view, though it is bit expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, good looking bag., December 13, 2014
I've had this bag for roughly a year. I really like it. I can hold my Oly EM1 w/12-60, 17mm, PL 25mm, 45mm and fl-36r flash in the back pocket. And of course some spare batteries etc.. I could probably squeeze another small prime in there. Great looking bag that's not big, and I don''t feel like a camera dork. I'd give it 5 stars if it was a little cheaper. Great bag for m43 and a bunch of lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect go to camera bag., July 14, 2014
I love this bag. Very we'll made and bomber materials. Perfect for one camera body with a zoom and a 35 or 50 mm fast lens. Holds that plus batteries, filters, cleaning supplies, manual and more. The design allows it to expand and contract as needed. Perfect for action on the fly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I freakin love it., July 9, 2014
This bag definitely attracted attention, but not the kind of attention where someone wants to come up and mug you (because they know it’s a camera bag). People who knew me would ask what was in the bag (since I normally never carry a shoulder bag). When I told people that it was a camera bag, they never suspected it! A few of them said that they’d totally get one for themselves! So needless to say, it passed off as a very desirable and inconspicuous bag. I feel that it protects my gear well, both the mirror-less system as well as my 5D Mark III, along with the other gear I put into it.

It really just looks like an awesome and modestly sized messenger bag. Theres only one thing that I think some might freak out about. If you’re using the sound silencers, you may or may not dump your bag if you’re not paying attention you reach or bend over. Or sometimes, if you put the bag on the car floor and it tips over, you might lose some stuff– just like some purses. But otherwise, if you’re aware of that, I’d say if you were to get one bag for the street, make it this one.

Full review here: http://photofocus.com/2014/07/09/the-retrospective-5-by-think-tank/

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and doesn't scream "Camera Bag!", June 27, 2014
BigDaddyNC (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
The Retrospective 5 is a bag well-suited to a mirrorless camera and lenses. When I was looking for a bag, I wanted something that balanced carrying capacity with size. The Retrospective 5 swallows an astonishing amount of kit. There are pockets well-suited for batteries, zippered compartments and a generous pocket on the outside under the flap.

I have my Samsung NX300, three lenses, filters, lens pens, spare batteries, charging adapter and cable in this bag and it fits like it was custom-made for it. On a trip out of town, I had no problems navigating the contents of the bag and getting at what I wanted quickly and easily.

If I acquire more gear, I might have to go to a larger bag, but for now the Retrospective 5 earns all five of its stars.