Top critical review
87 people found this helpful
Beautifully built bag, but...
on October 16, 2011
I had been wanting to get this bag for a while, and finally took the plunge. It is a very well built bag, perfectly constructed, not a loose thread anywhere, clearly new but not shiny-new. But after checking it out for a few days, I felt it was not for me, and returned it. Here is a quick run-down of the pros and cons and the reasons for my ultimate decision. As usual, YMMV.
1. Fantastic construction. Top notch materials all through.
2. Tons of pockets, small and large, including small pockets within larger pockets
3. Easy to open flap to get at contents
4. Very nice interior for making adjustments - the entire inside is velcro-compatible
5. Great shoulder pad and excellent shoulder strap material
1. A surfeit of pockets compared to the size of the bag. Even if one does not use all pockets (Which was perhaps the designer's intent), it is easy to misplace things.
2. Some pockets are, for me, of extremely limited use, like the ones on the outside left and right side. You can put in something flat such as a small notepad, but nothing else - despite the product description which suggests one can put in a small water bottle.
3. The length of the shoulder strap is fine as long as you want to carry it that way. If you want to carry the bag cross-shoulder, the strap runs short, and you cannot unclip the factory strap to put in a longer one.
4. There is no zipper to close up the bag, just the velcro flap. If by chance I have the velcro silencers on, there is nothing to keep the flap held in place, and then if the bag flops open - accidents do happen - the contents of the bag will spill. Not good, and for me, the dealbreaker. I've seen it happen often enough with womens' handbags to risk it with my camera gear.
I truly wanted to like the bag - and there is a lot to like. Great material, great feel, beautiful workmanship. But the bottom line for me was safety of contents if I forgot to un-silence the velcro, and more issues as enumerated above. For my own specific needs, it does not work. Then there was the issue of stuff missing - it was supposed to come with a set of spare partitions that were not there.
All in all, in my opinion, a lovely bag, somewhat over-designed in some use-cases and under-designed in others (mainly secure closure missing for main compartment), that does not work for me. (I even asked myself - what would make me keep it? If there was a good closure like a zipper, and the factory sent me the missing parts, I could probably live with the other shortcomings).