5.0 out of 5 stars Quality backpack with loads of room
I own numerous Think Tank products, and like all the others, this one is high quality, thoughtfully designed and overall, a great buy.

Published on December 6, 2009 by Busy Executive

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good...but overpriced and not really planned out well.
I like this bag...some. It has a load of room for all the photo gear you want, bodies, lenses, etc. But it is BIG and the rest of its features are lacking. The dividers worry me cause they are so thin. Also, though back padding is pretty decent, when pretty loaded up, I personally don't find the back comfortable, nor the straps (for reference, I'm 6' and about 160. Maybe...
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality backpack with loads of room, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)

Compared to the Think Tank "Glass Taxi" (which I also own), this one is similar but perhaps 50% larger inside, with an additional compartment giving you room for a laptop. This backpack fits a pro-sized DSLR with a large, heavy zoom lens attached in the middle compartment, and then numerous other lenses and accessories along the edge compartments. There's room for a second body, flashes and so forth. It includes adequate foam dividers, making the interior layout infinitely adaptable, as well as a number of small pouches and pockets inside and out for a variety of other items. Tripods or monopods can be attached to the outside, and Think Tank's very good Speed Belt can also be used to help distribute the weight and also to attach additional items if you need things that don't fit inside. It also comes with a waterproof cover that can be attached quickly in the event of sudden downpour.

The PC compartment is a little snug if you have a large laptop. My travel laptop tends to be a compact Lenovo tablet, and it fits - but barely. I don't believe any 17" laptop - or anything really thick - would fit comfortably.

To give you an idea, right now inside the bag I have:

- Nikon D3x with 80-400 zoom attached
- Lensbaby Composer
- SB900 flash
- Lenovo tablet PC
- My Amazon Kindle
- Various memory cards, filters, cables, spare batteries, etc

Outside the pack, I have either a Monostat Carbon-Fiber monopod or else a full-sized Gitzo tripod. Note that a tripod tends to obstruct access to some of the exterior pockets.

Fully loaded, this bag gets to be really heavy, but the excellent straps are well padded and are easily adjusted to distribute the weight fairly well. It includes waist or chest straps, and with Think Tank's larger Speed Belt attached, there's even better support. I often use it without the waist or chest straps as a shoulder bag, and unlike some other brands I've tried, the Think Tank stays put without any tendency to slide off my shoulder.

In spite of holding all this equipment, it's still a fairly compact bag and so far I haven't had any trouble getting it on crowded airplanes. It fits in any overhead bin, as well as under the seat in front of you, although larger tripods could make this difficult. If I'm flying, I lean towards packing my tripod in my luggage and this makes it much more streamlined.

Construction quality is very good, and all zippers, pouches and so on seem rugged and likely to stand up to a lot of day to day use.

Overall, highly recommended.

UPDATE: After spending a few weeks lugging my gear in the Streetwalker Hard Drive all over Hawaii, I'm more convinced that this is the perfect combination of size and features. Any bigger, I wouldn't have been able to carry it (as is, the weight is pretty tough to handle on all-day outings). Any smaller, I would have needed to leave some essential item home. And in the heat of the moment, it has proven trouble-free and easy to get to any of the contents with a minimum of hassle. I like it so much that I decided to sell my Glass Taxi, which I also liked quite a bit. Great job Think Tank!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits all my gear and it's airline approved!, July 12, 2011
Just My $.02 (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I was looking for a bag I could take with me when I travel - something airline approved that could fit all of my gear under the seat in case the overhead bins were full. I wanted a backpack as opposed to a shoulder bag, roller-carryon or Pelican case. Lastly, I needed something comfortable enough to wear all day backpacking through the city or at an event. After looking at what seemed like hundreds of options, I went with the Think Tank StreetWalker HardDrive. Hopefully, you find this review helpful.

Most of what I am paid to shoot is on location portraits/headshots and events. Over the years, I've collected a closet full of bags, but never one that could carry everything comfortably. Until I purchased this backpack about 6 months ago.

PROS:
* Comfortable - I wore this on my back for three consecutive 12 hour days during an event (FYI: I'm 6'3", 175lbs, with a 33" waist). Thanks to the awesome shoulder straps and waist belt, it felt like 25 pound pillow. The back of it has so much padding and it's vented, so you don't really get too hot.
* Waist Belt - It puts the bulk of the bag on your hips when you need it. When you don't, it stores neatly out-of-site underneath a padded section creating a sort of unintentional lumbar support.
* Accessible - The front unzips fully so everything is within reach. It's easy to work out of this on a table or on the ground.
* Durable - Meaty zippers, tough ripstop exterior and great stitching!
* Safe - The best padding I have ever seen in a bag! Includes enough Velcro inserts to customize it to your exact needs.
* Laptop Compartment - Fits up to a 15" laptop. I carry my 11.6" netbook when I travel, and store it with the screen side facing my back, as the weight of the gear might push against this compartment. So far, no problems. Very well padded!
* Tripod - When you need it, there is a hidden tripod pocket that un-Velcros out the bottom and two sets of straps to buckle it down.
* Dual Water Bottle Holders - Sure you could use these pockets for anything, but I use them for water or snack bars.
* Exterior - Something I've come to appreciate is the exterior structure. It's well padded from being thrown to the grown or into a trunk. And the top handle is well built and just perfect for grab and go carry. Also, the large front pockets is brilliantly organized.

CONS:
* Price -As I tell my clients when asked about competitor pricing, "People know what their product is worth and charge accordingly." You get what you pay for and it is so worth the investment. Just buy this backpack, you'll love it!

FLYING WITH IT:
I've been on just over a dozen trips with this bag. When I travel, I stow everything but my cameras, lenses, flashes and laptop. All of that goes it my carry on. Like with any other camera bag, be prepared to empty everything into the trays before you send it through the security x-ray machines. Trust me, it just makes it a faster and more pleasurable experience for everyone. I have never had a problem getting onboard with it; even when the gate officer is tagging roller-bags because they ran out of overhead room. Keep in mind that this bag will fit under the seat in front of you if that's all the room left.

WHAT I CARRY:
Some people just love peeping into another person's bag. So, if you were wondering what I fit and carry when I travel, here's the list. This is not what I carry everyday, as I usually only use this bag for travel. This is just a list of what I take with me when flying. Typically it weighs in about 25lbs, when fully loaded it's pushing >35lbs.
* Camera: Canon 7D gripped, 7D ungripped, batteries, charger, cables, CF cards
* Lenses: Rokinon 8mm Fisheye, Tokina 11-16, Canon 28mm, 60mm Macro, 85mm, 135mm (all with hoods reversed)
* Flashes: (3) Canon 430ex II's, Sto-fen's, Strobist gel pack, lots of AA batteries and 2 battery charges
* Laptop: Acer Aspire One 722 - 11.6" netbook, Western Digital external hard drive
* Misc: Sekonic L-308s light meter, YongNuo RF-602's transceivers, RF trigger, LensPen, Color Checker, dust cloth, water flask

I recently purchased the Think Tank Speed Racer V2.0. Once I've had a chance to work with it, I'll post a review on Amazon. Based on these two purchases, Think Tank is good money well spent, and IMHO the best bang for the buck. Add me to their customer for life list. Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Flashy - Just Designed Well, January 31, 2010
David O. Hearne (Ludlow, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I debated a long time between the Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive and a similar sized Kata bag. In the end reviews and capacity tilted me towards the Think Tank. It has proven to be everything I wanted. The capacity is very high easily accommodating my D300, D50, 17-55/2.8, 70-300, 18-200, 50, 2 speedlights and all the assorted gadgets needed. Plus it conveniently carries my MacBook Pro. The quality of the bag is also very high

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly Right For My Purposes, June 3, 2010
E. Estern (Northeastern USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I looked pretty hard for the right kind of photo backpack. I wanted subdued styling for security, a streamlined shape so it wouldn't snag, comfortable carry, tons of room with small exterior dimensions, adjustable dividers and room for a laptop. This bag delivers it all and more. My Macbook Pro slips easily in and out of the dedicated pocket. Canon 7D with lots of prime lenses and accessories fits easily in the main compartment along with a collapsible shoulder rig. I couldn't be happier with the build quality. There are lots of little design details that are pretty subtle until you find yourself appreciating them. I bring the bag to the set or location (I'm a cinematographer and I use the bag for a HDSLR package for shooting motion pictures) set it down and flip open the lid--all the bag's contents are visible and easily accessible. It also closes up tight in an instant. There's plenty of storage for cards, cables, batteries, etc. All obvious and intuitively placed which is great because an assistant who's not familiar with my gear can still find stuff. My one, very monor complaint is that black colored bags and cases tend to disappear in the dark. This makes it easier to leave behind in the predawn light or lose in a dark studio--but I guess it's a trade off for the discreet not photo equipment appearance. All in all a great product at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I returned a LowePro Case to buy this one., December 26, 2011
Wenbis (Kailua-Kona, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I was in Seattle recently and was at Glazers camera...excellent store with good people. I bought a Similar Lowepro but returned it the next morning. Reason why: well I thought that the LowePro was very well built with excellent material but the shoulder straps were SKINNY BEYOND BELIEF. I loaded the case with gear and was met with a very painful experience. I even telephoned Lowepro about this and was met with: "you are the first person who has ever complained about the straps". Well I am 54 years old and have learned in life that these are not the words of an honest person. And the TRUTH is that when I returned it to Glazers someone was returning the same Lowepro for this very same, very comfortable ThinkTank Case. The straps are wide and well padded...very nice. It's just an all-around nice case with plenty of storage and the laptop compartment is pretty well padded also (going to use it for my iPad though).The shoulder/back area is better padded also. There is an included rain cover for the case which I suspect I will be using on my trip to England mid-January.I do not work for ThinkTank...check my reviews ..i buy random stuff from Amazon. thanks...peace

5.0 out of 5 stars One heck of a camera bag!!!, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
Did plenty of research before buying another camera bag because my previous Lowepro just didn't have enough room it in anymore after adding to my equipment. I have a Canon 5D Mark III, 24-105, 70-200, Speedlite 600, a backup Canon 40D and a bunch of other random goodies. How'd this bag do for me? Excellent and here's how...

I wanted the convenience of placing my laptop in the camera bag itself especially when traveling. Didn't want the hassle of a separate laptop bag, taking the laptop out of that...you know how security lines are these days. With the Think Tank, I just unzip the side, place the laptop in the scanner, done deal, put it back when I'm on the other side.

Besides the above, the main concern is the interior compartment and how well it was going to do for me with my additional equipment. Can't say I have a single complaint, all my stuff fits in there nicely, very snug and protected. I'm about to purchase another lens making it 3 altogether in the bag, and they'll fit even with all the other stuff in there.

I love the outside compartments. They're made in a way that holds lens cleaning pens, pens, clothes, memory card holders, anything of that nature. Side pockets come in handy as well for keys or anything of that nature.

Overall, made tough and roomy. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, April 1, 2013
M_Six (Charleston, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I needed something to hold my gear and laptop (15" MacBook Pro) and still be comfortable to carry *and* allow easy access to my gear. Enter the Think Tank Street Walker Hard Drive. Small enough to carry onto flights, roomy enough to hold two bodies with large lenses attached plus extra lenses, or one body and a dozen or so lenses. The backpack style straps are very comfortable even with the bag fully loaded. The hide-away tripod holder works well when you need it, and is out of the way when you don't. The one thing I wish it had is a handle on the side and not just the top. But that's a very minor nitpick. I love the way the bag stands up on its own. The zippers are strong and secure, yet open and close easily. Think Tank definitely got it right with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Bag! Almost Too Much Room, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I was looking for a bag specifically for an overseas assignment where I would need my laptop with me (2012 15.4" MBP) and as an owner of several other Think Tank products, I wanted something with the same quality of craftsmanship and attention to detail. I have the Think Tank Airport International V 2.0 and while this would be perfect for the flight, I wanted the mobility of a backpack when navigating to assignments since I would be walking quite a bit and already would have 1 roller luggage.

Side by side with the Airport International these are almost the exact same size, which is a good and bad thing. Fully loaded, you can carry A LOT of gear with you! Perfect, because I wanted to carry everything onto the plane and fit in the overhead bin. Here is what I had stuff in mine, somehow:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III w/ grip
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS
4x Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT (stacked sideways in two rows without their cases)
15.4" Macbook Pro
Battery Charger, Spare Canon Battery, 2 TB Western Digital USB Hard Drive

In total this weighed about 35 pounds, way over the posted limit for international flights but within the range for my domestic connections. I flew Virgin Australia, Japan Airlines, and Singapore Air on this trip and no one checked my bag's weight (it doesn't look that heavy and pretty amazing to carry this much anyways - and I'm sure other passenger's roller bags were heavier...), and fit conformably in the overhead bins of all three international flights and even on the smaller domestic Delta flights, with room to spare. I just slipped a TSA lock to secure the main compartment while in the plane and had the laptop with me in my seat.

On location, while a bit back-breaking to carry that much gear on your back, the shoulder straps are super comfortable! Using the chest harness and the straps tight against your body really took the load off and made the long walks bearable. I also had a small travel tripod attached to the back part at this point too (which was packed inside my checked luggage for the flights).

As much as I love this bag and wholly give it 5 stars for what it is, their isn't a single bag for every occasion and I feel this bag is a bit overkill for smaller assignments. Even not loaded up, it's big and bulky walking around with a giant square on your back. The excellent padding, and believe me I'm glad it's there, doesn't compress and retains it's boxy shape. While I never felt out of place and like an obvious photographer with so much gear on my back when I used this for just day trips for personal photography in Sydney and Tokyo, I wish I had a smaller bag to just carry one camera and lens, but alas that is the compromise of travel! On those days I did appreciate the stretchy side pockets to slip in a water bottle! Also, the bag is large enough that I put my travel tripod INSIDE the bag, to be a little more inconspicuous when walking around and more mobile, so for that I wholly loved it and in retrospect maybe that was the perfect idea to blend in more. I may pick up one of the smaller Street Walker series bags for the times I don't need everything and the kitchen sink on my back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, bulky but not too heavy, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
I needed to upgrade from the Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW. I began to accumulate too much photography gear (this is a good thing for me!).

I had a trip to Florida coming up and I "needed" to take all of my camera gear. I have recently upgraded my camera to a Canon EOS-1D X, so I needed something that could handle a full sized camera. Initially looked at the Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW DSLR Backpack (Black) over the Think Tank Hard Drive, because I really, really like the SlingShot. The problem was, my trip was coming up fast and no one had them in stock that could have gotten it to me in a reasonable amount of time and at a reasonable shipping price to do so.

I did more research and finally found this, the Think Tank Street Walker Hard Drive.

The Hard Drive can carry my Canon EOS-1D X, with EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM (pretty much NEEDS to be attached if you have more than one camera body to stow), my Canon XSi (450D), an EF-S 55-250mm, EF-S 18-55mm IS II, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 550EX, battery chargers for both cameras, EF 25 II Extension Tube, spare batteries, memory cards, a card reader and of course, my laptop.

Looking at that list, it's pretty clear that this is a lot of stuff to carry around, and it's also pretty apparent that it's pretty weighty. That's the interesting part though, I was able to carry this on my back, fully loaded, for two full hours at a time and it didn't make my back sweat (unlike my SlingShot), and despite it having weight to it, it wasn't so terribly heavy that I had to give up having it on my back. I have to say that until I took the backpack off of my back, I didn't realize just how heavy this bag of stuff really was. Weight distribution is even and everything is well padded, so it never made me start to hurt. I would imagine, carrying this much stuff around for more than a couple hours, it will begin to make you hurt, no question. If you are someone who needs all this camera gear with you, all the time, you might be better served with one of the models that has rollers.

Inside the backpack, everything is extremely well padded. The separators are removable and adjustable, so you should be able to get a large amount of gear in this one bag with careful planning. Because everything is held in place with Velcro style adhesive, you can modify the bag on the fly as needed as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a pro sized camera, getting a laptop of more than 14" to fit into the back sleeve might be a bit of a challenge. Because of the height of a pro sized camera (or a camera w. battery grip attached), the bag has one spot in it where the floor of the interior dips down lower to accommodate this. As this is the case, this indentation bites into the laptop compartment slightly. If your camera fills this space, getting a larger laptop into the bag will be a challenge, if not impossible. There is a small separator inside the laptop sleeve section that is removable. In order to fit my 14" laptop into the space, this had to be removed. This little space, I suppose, could house your laptop charger if you don't use the pro camera space and your laptop is only 14" or smaller.

Even weight distribution, extra straps to relieve some of the pressure on your shoulders, the ability to use this as an airplane carry on, optional tripod lugging capability... I'm not sure what else I would be looking for in a backpack. The only thing I am a little disappointed in, that I liked about the SlingShot, was the built in weather cover. This does have a weather cover, but it's not integrated into the design and requires you to carry an extra piece of kit to cover the bag in the cases of inclement weather.

Over all, I am quite happy with my purchase. I paid a little more to have it right away, and bought it with enough time to find a different solution if this didn't work for me, but when it arrived and I opened the packing box and saw the quality that went into the build, how many compartments it had available, I pretty much knew I was keeping it. If you're in the market for a LARGE backpack, I can't recommend this one highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travelling, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive (Camera)
Earlier this year I travelled x-country to shoot a wedding (no 2nd shooter), so of course I had to bring all the necessary gear. The Street Walker fit the bill perfectly. It held all my gear, while the backpack style kept my hands free. I love that it's small enough to be a carry-on, fits everything, and keeps it organized. Fully loaded, it's about 20-25% of my body weight (I'm about 115 lbs), but I was able to walk around various shooting locations without much trouble. The chest and waist straps definitely help distribute the weight. The gear I normally pack is:

Canon 5DMII
Canon 430ex flash
LaCie rugged hard drive
Flash diffusers
Macbook Pro 13"
+fliters, batteries, chargers, memory cards, cables, etc.

I live in a relatively small space in SF where storage is a precious commodity, so this keeps all my gear compactly organized in my closet when not in use.

The only improvement I would love to see is a women's version... something for a shorter torso (the hip belt hits slightly too low) and allows for curvier hips.

Think Tank - Street Walker Hard Drive