Think before you buy: Xbox 360's glory days are over

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2009 10:26:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2009 12:40:03 AM PDT
K. Lim says:
When you buy a new console you have to think about the following: available features, past games, present games, future games, reliability, and cost of ownership. After some research and thinking, you will see that in the year 2009 and beyond, Xbox 360 is simply a bad choice compared to the PS3.

Features: PS3 wins
This Elite bundles gives you two cheap, mediocre games. The PS3 on the other hand, gives you a Blu-ray player, built-in Wi-Fi, 7.1 surround sound support, more advanced HDMI support, and more.

Past games: Xbox 360 wins.
Xbox 360 has better games from 2005 to 2007. These are Xbox 360's glory days. This is because Xbox 360 has a one year head start and the PS3 presented early programming difficulties for developers. It should be noted, too, that games released in 2005 to 2007 now look old and dated compared to the likes of Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and Uncharted 2 on the PS3.

Present games: 2008 to 2009: PS3 wins
Multiplatform games look a tiny, tiny bit better on Xbox 360, but the differences are so insignificant that game critics score PS3 and Xbox 360 versions the same. However, PS3 exclusives tend to look better, sound better, and receive higher critical acclaim. Uncharted 2 on the PS3 is now receiving a 97% average rating among 24 publications! In fact, PS3 has the two highest rated HD exclusive games: Uncharted 2 and LittleBigPlanet.

Future games: PS3 wins.
The PS3 is a more powerful console using higher capacity disks (Blu-ray) while Xbox 360 is less powerful and uses lower capacity disks (last-generation DVD). In light of current games and console capabilities, the PS3 has a brighter future than Xbox 360. If you want to play games with the best graphics, the best sounds, the most content (due to Blu-ray disks), the largest multilayer shooters, or the most MMOs, you have no choice but the PS3. Furthermore, if you want games that make you feel like playing a blockbuster movie (Metal Gear Solid4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain ), then the PS3 is the best.

Reliabilty: PS3 wins.
We all know that Xbox 360 is still the most unreliable console in the market, Jasper or not. After 3 years, owners of Xbox 360 are more likely to have to pay for repairs than owners of other consoles.

Cost of Ownership: PS3 wins
Owners of Xbox 360 are more likely to pay higher costs for accessories: Wi-Fi, hard-disk drives upgrades, batteries for controllers. They also have to pay $50 a year just to play online. Paying for repairs after 3 years of ownership must also be considered. Microsoft seems to do everything possible to nickle and dime their customers. Cost of ownership is something you must consider if you want to buy this bundle for kids.

So all in all, this bundle does nothing to make Xbox 360 a better choice than the PS3 slim.

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 12:06:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2009 12:07:20 AM PDT
Xander says:
So how long have you been working for Sony? This sounds like a PR statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2009 12:12:24 AM PDT
K. Lim says:
I don't work for Sony. I just think if people use their heads and do some research, they will most likely see Xbox 360 for what it is: an aging console that can't compete with the PS3 on so many levels.

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 5:21:14 PM PDT
D. Sanford says:
PS3 cost of ownership equals $150 every 7-12 months, I know cause I made the mistake of buying two

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 6:56:43 PM PDT
L. Dawson says:
My PS3 stopped reading discs and Sony wanted $150 to fix it and they would only offer a 6 month warranty on the repairs. 7 months later it did the same thing and Sony wanted another $150 to fix it again. The 360 has a 3 year warranty and will cost me $0 if it breaks.

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 9:36:33 AM PDT
Rob E. says:
PS3 owner since Jan. '07 - been working fine all along. 360 needed the 3-year warranty because of its infamous RROD defect.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 5:42:29 PM PDT
C. Spivey says:
You are wrong K. Lime. Physical media is dead, Blu-Ray is irrelevant and unnecessary. The next console cycle will certainly tip toward downloadable content. We'll buy content but never have a physical representation of it (like a DVD or disc). Software and storage will be king in the near future and I'll trust Microsoft's legacy as a software company (love em of hate em they are #1) to usher in the online content era. Betting on physical media platforms now would be like betting on a buggy whip factory when the automobiles started rolling off the assembly line.

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 8:33:24 PM PDT
Michael says:
>>>>>>Physical media is dead, Blu-Ray is irrelevant and unnecessary.

Hmm which is more likely..

1) Downloadable content takes over completely.. no discs are sold in stores anymore.. Everyone in the USA A) has a computer, B) has internet, c) Knows how to use it all, D) Has super fast connection to the internet E) Internet gets massively updated so everyone in the US can have high speed internet at the same time without it failing, F) Internet providers release a statement saying they dont know what they were thinking by restricting people to XX Gigs per month and let everyone have unlimited, G) Everyone all the sudden decides they don't want discs anymore and only want downloadable content with one company, H) They don't care if said company decides to remove one of their favorite movies from the list to stream or if they go out of bussiness and they have to re-buy all movies with another provider., etc, etc, etc.

or

2) Blu Ray will continue to show its massive growth that it has been showing and people continue to buy the discs like they are already..

Hmmmmm hard one.

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 5:21:38 PM PDT
k lim...

its a fact the ps3 is a better deal... so what? i knew this and still bought an xbox 360. why did i make such an obvious mistake when i KNEW the ps3 was better for the money? not everybody cares for blu-ray which is something PS3 fanboys seem to to think everybody in the world cares about. unfortunately its a fact that i have to sit 3.5 to 5 feet away from my 37' 1080p to actually SEE a difference in picture quality if I were to go blu ray. secondly, to go blu ray is no doubt more costly, the only way i see it being worth it is if i already have money invested in surround sound and 42'+ TV... which i dont and MANY others dont either.

graphics... you ALWAYS bring up graphics like thats the main reason a game sells. i dont buy games because of their amazing graphics... i play them because they are fun. i play "hit" games because of their REPLAY value, not because of how great the graphics are. why do i still play nintendo and SNES games to this day? better graphics is just a "little" bonus these days and it means nothing to me if the game just plain sucks.

to the post above... i agree to some extent. blu ray is kinda selling right now and will probably get better when switchover costs arent so high. it probably the next superior format for the next 8 to 10 years and survive a little past that. but to think physical media is staying forever... thats just simply the worst prediction iv ever heard. Millions of users stream video online and they dont do it for the average if not sub-dvd quality. Millions of users stream video due to CONVENIENCE and EASE OF USE. how much easier can it possibly be? not only do i not have to go to outside, i dont even have to use my laptop anymore to rent movies and wait for it in the mail. i can sit on my couch and have it stream wireless straight to my tv!

i can see blu ray being one of the last physical medias. as far as picture quality goes, it really cant get much better... until 3D comes along. and as far as audio goes... well it cant much better than uncompressed. blu ray quality WILL be commonly available online one day.

Anyways, K Lim
i dont know why you keep preaching so much. everybody has their reasons why they buy one console over the other. I dont know a single person who owns or plays online with a PS3. I also hate the ps3 controller and think its a terrible awkward design. If i was of course on a budget and didnt care about playing with my friends i might consider a ps3. fortunately, i wasnt on a budget and i got what i wanted.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 6:31:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2009 6:32:46 AM PDT
Mikey says:
I agree with P.Won on everything. What he said nails it. Streaming will be the future later on as it will be all HD streaming anyway. Even now theres some HD streaming, not 1080P but that will come later on. Blu-Ray will still be alive or something like it because ppl will still want to save movies to watch again.

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 10:42:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2009 10:57:03 PM PDT
John Doe says:
I disagree w/ the download lovers. Games which are many gigs takes a looong time to download, then install. I prefer having a physical disc, just pop it in and go. What happens to your collection if a hard drive crashes or gets a virus? Do you think the site you buy from will replace them for free?

Blu-ray is tops for a while (next 10-15yrs), until HVD takes over.

I agree w/ K.Lim, especially with prices being equal. The new PS3 slims are a much better value. I may someday buy a 360, because I like a lot of their games and I do believe their controller is better, but MS has got to figure a way to improve the high failure rate or I'll never buy in, no matter how many years warranty they offer. Maybe they should re-design it and bring the Valhalla chip out, a 199 tag wouldnt hurt either.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 6:53:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2009 11:09:01 PM PDT
Todd Martin says:
A lot of people here are speaking out of their asses. I happily own both systems and would like to make a few comments.

Dennis D: "Games which are many gigs takes a looong time to download, then install." Clearly you've never downloaded a game on a 360 b/c there are no install times. I know 360 users have to pay for XBOX live, but one of the benefits is faster downloads than the PSN. I totally agree with you that having to "install" games on the PS3 is the biggest annoyance on the PS3.

There is no question that exclusive PS3 games like Uncharted 2, LittleBigPlanet, and MGS4 are good enough to be system sellers alone. I have all 3 and really like them. The graphics in Uncharted 2 are outrageous and the shear size of the game make it hard to believe anything similar will come to the 360 any time soon.

However, a lot of PS3 owners have no idea about what it's like to have a 360. I happily pay for xbox live because, yes, it's totally worth it. Playing online with friends is so much more streamlined and easier on the 360 it's not even funny. The exclusives on the 360 like halo, forza, gears, and l4d (i know it's on PC as well) hold their own to the PS3 exclusives.

Bottom line, there is no "better console." There are great, exclusive, titles on both systems. I think that anyone who cares so much about video games that they would come on here to make a post, should own both systems. You cannot call yourself a "gamer" if you haven't played MGS4, Gears, LBP, Uncharted 2, Halo, etc. I mean we're talking about some of the best rated games of all time. How can you give your advice to others on what system to buy if you haven't played the other system's best offerings?

If you want to play online with lots of friends, odds are most of them already have 360s and the online experience is simply just better. If you want blockbuster games like Uncharted and MGS with ridiculous graphics and awesome cut scenes, go for a PS3. Personally, I wouldn't care if the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player or not because you're going to find sub $100 blu-ray players on black Friday. Also, if you really care about price and "value" in a console that much, you're probably not going to buy enough blu-ray movies to take advantage of it.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 10:50:28 AM PDT
C. Tanner says:
Nice Job K. Lim,

Way to spread your fanboy infection all over the internet yet again. It's pretty obvious that you are afraid of the threat that the 360 imposes on your precious choice to buy a PS3.

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 12:24:49 PM PST
N. Troutman says:
One think people are forgetting is not everyone buys a system to play buy themselves. I own neither a PS3 or a 360, I'm a PC gamer, but I'm looking at the 360 because that is the system all my friends have. I'd be getting the 360 so I could hope online and play halo, l4d, mw2 with my friends. If I went PS3 I'd be all by myself. So, specs aside, there is the issue of which console are your friends on.

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 3:07:44 PM PST
This guy still continues with this stuff. OMG, sick... You don'r even play video-games anymore, you're living for this stuff. Scary, scary dude.

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 8:28:48 AM PST
I don't think its glory days are over. I think it's just been a slow year. And even if the cost of ownership is higher, well, people might still be willing to pay the price for getting what they want. And in the end isn't that what it's all about? Getting what you want? Some people don't need the extras the PS3 has to offer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2009 11:01:41 AM PST
semore butts says:
well I have ps3 and 360 and I like them both. however I always get multiplatform games on 360 because they are better on 360 95% of the time. PS3 has good exclusives but so does 360. I use PSN and LIVE and LIVE is better in every way except for it costing money.

Most people play way more Multiplats than exclusives, so for them a 360 would be better if they dont mind paying for LIVE.

The newer 360s are much more reliable and they still come with a 3 year warranty. Im more worried about having a problem with my slim because Ill have to pay if it breaks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:03:30 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 14, 2009 2:11:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:34:07 PM PST
Reuben Roa says:
Irrelevant and unnecessary? Blu ray is making things possible on one disc that you would need at least 4 dvds to do. Physical media isnt even close to being dead. You will not see digital distribution dominate as a gaming format for at least 10 years, if ever. Issues like piracy and storage capacity are kinks that need to be taken care of before developers will EVER give DLC significant attention

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2009 6:30:01 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 19, 2010 4:50:24 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2009 6:35:03 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 22, 2009 10:00:43 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2009 6:35:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 22, 2009 10:00:43 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2009 6:37:47 AM PST
K. YIM WANG has a 23 percent vote approval for his reviews.

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 8:34:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2009 8:38:03 AM PST
Hmm... let me ask myself...

Do I want a console that has games that I want to play or does it not?
360: Yes, there are tons of quality games that are 360 exclusives (i.e. Mass Effect) that I want.
PS3: No, I don't consider LittleBigPlanet an amazing accomplishment, unlike half the world. And Uncharted 2, well, it's pretty but what games aren't now (if you have a 1080p TV). Sorry the PS3 has too much Asian influence and therefore ends up with less quality WRPGS (Western RPGS).

So, IMO I'd say that I couldn't care less about "glory days." There art dozens of excellent games coming out on the 360 in the next year and some of them are exclusives. So get your fanboy crap off the Internet.

Edit: Oh, right and Bioshock is a 360 exclusive. So there's another reason.

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 9:08:35 AM PST
lmfao pathetic

pathetic you wrote such a long, drawn out (call it what makes you feel better here). I only picked up on "reliability:PS3 wins" OK...wait...PS3 COULD be a little more reliable. Maybe, no one in the world can say which is better - current PS3 or 360 models. What I do know is the warranty and game performance will keep me buying multiplatform games on 360. PS3's break all day every day and those either go to be repaired@ $150+ or to the trash can.

I play my 360 without worry and I can do that for YEARS. Looking forward to playing my ps3 though - I think March is when FFXIII comes out? Wow, I can't believe it's been as long as it has since I bought fat princess and MGS4. I tell you, that PS3 is a winner. /s
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 Elite Winter 2009 Lego Batman / Pure Bundle
Xbox 360 Elite Winter 2009 Lego Batman / Pure Bundle by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (129)