5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Door Chime
Published 23 months ago by Steve Keithley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a Gag
Works well as a Gag gift. Batteries do not last long though. It embarassas my Daughter every time I sound it...Perfect!
Published 7 months ago by Fernando Alemany MD

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Door Chime, October 16, 2012
This review is from: ThinkGeek - Star Trek Electronic Door Chime (Tools & Home Improvement)
Received before last estimate date. Works great as night alarm system. Since I sleep upstairs - I set it when I go to bed and will go off with setting of "Red Alert" klaxon to warn me should anyone break in downstairs. With the simple movement of button switch I can set it to doors opening "whoosh" sound effect as heard on Star Trek. Neat sound effects and looks. It looks like an expensive intercom system.
Entertainment Earths mail order catalog listed this at $349.99 in their Holiday Gift Preview catalog in 2010. They do mention theirs having an accurate grill cloth that this one does not have, along with a display stand. Savings over $300.00.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geeky fun, September 23, 2012
Tara (Rogers, AR, United States) - See all my reviews
I love this door chime! It's so much fun. I especially like that it can sense motion on either side of the device. And it has two different sound levels, which is nice. And if I want to silence it all I have to do is move the switch to the middle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek door chime, August 11, 2012
Very cool item. Put in my garage/man cave. Makes me laugh every time I open the door and the original series door opening sound effect goes off. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kirk Here., January 31, 2013
This thing is awesome. It is exactly like the photo. It is not, however, an exact replica of the communication panels on the TOS (The Original Series) Enterprise. It is smaller than what appears on the show. The grill work over the speaker is part of the plastic mold not a mesh as seen on TOS. The White Claxon Indicator above the blue speaker does NOT light up with the Red Alert setting (which is the exact sound effect from TOS). The door slide setting is what I use, I only switch it to the Red Alert setting if someone is interested in hearing it.
There is a volume High and Low switch. I suggest using Low, because high is VERY loud.
The door sensor is sensitive enough to trigger every time you walk past it and there is one on each side so it does not matter which side of the door you mount it on.
One last note: Remember that you have turned it on, I forgot the first time after I mounted this on the wall, and when I entered the room the next morning, it scared me good. (the volume was left on high) :)
Overall, this item may not be for everyone, but if you are "All things Trek" like I am, then go for it. It's well built, but make sure you mount it properly because it may not take too many falls well.
I bought two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, but lacking a bit, January 25, 2013
So, this looks great and all, and it operates well. But when you have it set for Red Alert, the white light above the speaker should light up, but it doesn't, so I'm going to wire in some LEDs to make it function like it should!

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, I wanted it to be a doorbell., November 29, 2012
M. Kupperman Guinals "slix92" (NYC and Berkshire county MA) - See all my reviews
and it isn't. On the other hand, I am also a secret Trekkie geek, so I love it. I keep waving my hand over it so that I can get the door swoosh! Yes! What I like also is that there are two levels of loudness, so it doesn't freak someone out.
Oh yeah---too cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know it seems silly but..., March 23, 2013
This thing is one of my favorite Star Trek items, largely because it's a replica of an insignificant, but very commonly used item on the original show.

There is a switch on the front that has three modes.

1. Intercom sound. When you use this setting, hitting the button triggers the hailing sound heard on the show. Very nice sound.

2. In the second position, the button still gives the hailing sound, but it also adds a Star Trek door opening sound whenever somebody walks by. There are sensors on both sides.

3. In this position, the sensors on the side trigger the Red Alert Sound from the show.

The second two positions would be a lot of fun if placed at the edge of an office cubicle entrance.

Yes, it's pointless.... but I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is better then I thought, April 9, 2013
All I can say is I love it .. love it love it!! It is not cheaply made and I put it by my door so that anytime anybody opens the door the "shoosh" sounds go on. For all of your Trekies.. I definaly recommend this!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Star Trek fans, December 7, 2012
Works as advertised. Impress your friends. Annoy your neighbors. It also turns out to be useful if, like me, you work in an office where the entrance is out of sight. When you hear the swoosh you know someone has just stepped through the doorway. Of course, for a genuine Star Trek fan there's no need to justify this. It's just something we need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amusing!, May 13, 2013
This is a most amusing semi-functional Star Trek, It works as advertised, and it's hell of a lot of fun. Quibbles would be the red light on this product is actually on the show a red button which sounds red alert, and the light above the speaker flashes. This doesn't do that, but it makes the door sound, the intercom whistle, and red alert. This product will amuse you thoroughly.

ThinkGeek - Star Trek Electronic Door Chime