The most prominent feature of the book is its diligent and extremely thorough treatment of the Java language, with special attention to object design. (For instance, 10 pages of sample code show all of the available operators.) Some of the best thinking about objects is in this book, including when to use composition over inheritance. The esoteric details of Java in regard to defining classes are thoroughly laid out. (The material on interfaces, inner classes, and designing for reuse will please any expert.) Each section also has sample exercises that let you try out and expand your Java knowledge.
Besides getting the reader to "think in objects," Thinking in Java also covers other APIs in Java 2. Excellent sections include an in-depth tour of Java's collection and stream classes, and enterprise-level APIs like servlets, JSPs, EJBs, and RMI. Weighing in at over 1,000 pages, any reader who is serious about learning Java inside and out will want to take a look at this superior resource on some of the latest and most advanced thinking in object design. --Richard Dragan
From the Back Cover
The Definitive Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming in the Language of the World-Wide Web
Full text updates and code at HTTP://WWW.BRUCEECKEL.COM
JavaWorld Reader's Choice Award for best book, 2000
Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award for best book, 1999
Software Development Magazine Productivity Award, 1999
From the fundamentals of Java syntax to its most advanced features (distributed computing, advanced object-oriented capabilities, multithreading), "Thinking in Java" is designed to teach. Bruce Eckel's readable style and small, direct programming examples make even the most arcane concepts clear.
- Java 2 only!
- First edition covering Java 1 on CD ROM and downloadable from www.BruceEckel.com
- For beginners and experts alike.
- Teaches Java linguistics, not platform-dependent mechanics.
- Thorough coverage of fundamentals, demonstrates advanced topics.
- 300+ working Java programs, 15,000+ lines of code.
- Source code on the CD and downloadable.
- Explains sound object-oriented principles as they apply to Java.
- From an independent voice, award-winning author Bruce Eckel.
- Regular updates of this book available of this book available online.
- Companion CD with more than 15 hours of audio lectures by Bruce Eckel available online.
- Live seminars available. See schedule at www.BruceEckel.com
What People Are Saying: "The best book on Java... Your depth is amazing," "Definitely the thinking person's choice in a Java book," "One of the absolutely best programming tutorials I've seen, for any language."