5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking Mathematically (5th Ed.) - An Unbiased Review
Published on December 16, 2010 by Sam The Sham

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful
Published on February 4, 2011 by mainiak2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking Mathematically (5th Ed.) - An Unbiased Review, December 16, 2010
Sam The Sham (Sheep Dip, Nevada) - See all my reviews
can't work math. It scares me to death. I was one of the unfortunate people who, as a child, was taught math using the "New Moden Math Concept". Subsequently, like most who had the misfortune of suffering the course of instruction, the basics were sort of skipped over while we all learned "Base 108", "Base Pi" Base Chevrolet", and all the other crud we'd never use in the real world. As a result I am, therefore, mathematically illiterate.

I have needed one (1) course to complete my degree. I have been avoiding this course for years. Yep, it's basic college mathematics. The thought of math makes me sweat, nauseous, and causes massive amounts of burning stomach acid. I decided to take the plunge and signed up for a distant learning math class. The course required Dr. Robert Blitzers book, "Thinking Mathematically - 5th Edition".

I am now on chapter 4 and am learning math! I have put away the bottles of Malox and the sweat bands. I actually understand what I am reading. This book is great! My first homework assignments have been graded far better than I had ever hoped for. It is working for me. (At least the first 4 chapters anyway)

Dr. Blitzers' book utilizes every day situations as related to math. This makes it easier to understand for the non-math major. The book is loaded with examples and work problems the answers to which, are in the back of the book. You cannot just use the answers, you will have to work for them in order to learn. However, having the answers accessible makes it easy to review and find where you have errored (if at all).

Although the book is pricey, it is well worth the money. The book is absolutley loaded with information, is large, and is over 1,000 pages in length. It is well written and if I can understand it, anyone can. (Sometimes I have to reread the info before it sinks in...but it does!) I would suggest this book for anyone who wants to refresh their math skills not just students taking a college level math course.

Don't get me wrong, I am still having to work twice as hard as the person who has a working grasp of math, but I am finally learning the math concepts I should have 40 years ago. I thank Dr. Robert Blitzer and his book "Thinking Mathematically" for putting me at ease while I am doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had this in high school!, November 17, 2010
E. Sikorski (South Jersey, NJ) - See all my reviews
This is truly the best math textbook I can ever remember using. I just finished taking a college math course while working to obtain additional teaching certificates (job security!). I took the course online and taught myself EVERYTHING I needed to know just from using this text. Concepts that I learned before were easy to recall. New information was clearly presented with important points and objectives located in the margins of the text. Plenty of examples were provided, along with TONS of practice problems. I cannot say enough about how enjoyable it was to use this textbook!! If only I had this in high school, I would have gotten better grades in math class!

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful, February 4, 2011
I purchased this book to go along with an online math class. The course had this listed as the required book, but after paying what felt like too much for just a book and online access, I realized that the online section also includes the full book in online form. So really you are paying for the book, then paying for the book again. I suggest just getting the online access card (its only about $55) and not getting the printed book. Also, the online pass is active for upwards of a year, so you can "lend" or "sell" your access to the online book to someone who has the class after you.

Luckily I was able to sell off the printed book to someone not in an online section of the course to get some of my money back, but be careful you don't get more then what you need.

1.0 out of 5 stars Advertised Incorrectly, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Thinking Mathematically plus MyMathLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package (5th Edition) (Hardcover)
This book is advertised as having the student access card...IT DOES NOT!!!! It's cheaper to just order the access card from the publisher's website and you get access to the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, February 10, 2011
Judith Morrison (PORT SAINT LUCIE, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
This book is easy to follow and understand. It is well put together. The only draw back is that the answers that are available is only for the odd numbered problems. This is the same with the student solution copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good text book, February 23, 2011
it has been a great resource for the class I am taking, and I was able to save a lot of money for school by buying it at amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not come with access code for onlone class, July 7, 2011
I almost bought this book because it was cheaper than what my campus bookstore was selling it for. Although I needed it for an online class and there is another edition with the ONLINE ACCESS CODE and turns out I almost bought the wrong set.

THIS BOOK DOES NOT HAVE THE ACCESS CODE, SO DO NOT BUY IF YOU NEED IT FOR AN ONLINE CLASS.

Same goes for all text books for online classes, check and do your research!

2.0 out of 5 stars NO Acces Code, February 6, 2013
buying this i didnt no that i would have to pay 90$ seperate for the code for this class. a

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad access codes, September 12, 2013
I bought this book for my class because it had the access code included. When I got the book and tried logging into MathXL, it said that the access codes wasn't found. I tried for two weeks to fix the problem with the publishing company and they gave me two other access codes that didn't work either. I finally had to go high up in the company to get the problem fixed. Do yourself a favor, pay a little bit extra to get the proper code...the code that comes with the book are completely bogus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lied about access code, April 12, 2014
The book came on time and was in good condition. However, I contacted the seller before purchasing and asked if it had an accompanying access code to which the seller said it did; he did not mention that the access code was already used and therefore useless. I ended up having to purchase the access code separately and paid about $60 more than I would have had I bought the book/access code combo from the college.

$198.00 $154.67