5.0 out of 5 stars Speed Demon
I've owned a Lenovo T43, T60p, X61T, X200T and now the X220. Lenovo makes excellent machines.

Pros: Thinkpad Build Quality, Keyboard, HD IPS display, Battery life, Docking station, All day battery slice

Cons: Price for a tricked out model

I purchased the i7 model and then added an after market Intel OEM 300 GB SSD. This thing flys...
Published on July 29, 2011 by K. Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine if it works -- AWFUL Customer SUPPORT
I did my research and decided this was the machine for me -- really attracted to the 8 hour battery life, light weight, keyboard and mid button cursor. Out of the box it did not work -- sent back to Lenovo -- it took me exactly 3 months to the day and escalated it to one level below VP of Customer service for customer service to actually get a new one -- totally...
Published on August 6, 2011 by Paul L. Marciano

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet ... Unless It's a Gorilla, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Thinkpad X220 12.5" 320GB 4G (Personal Computers)
I just got this tablet after 4 1/2 years with a x61s touchscreen capable tablet. I LOVED that machine, ready for something faster. I ordered my x220 direct from lenovo after being told the outdoor, gorilla glass screen is multi-touch -- two-finger instead of the five-finger alternate display. GORILLA GLASS ON THIS TABLET SUCKS. I've already tendered my return and have another with the standard display coming. Not only is the gorilla glass screen NOT touch-enabled (yes, this is a tablet! odd since the sales guy was so specific about the two vs. five finger thing) but the pen is extremely slick and very difficult to use -- you can't select anything long enough to drag, move, right click or, often, select. The damn pen tip keeps moving! I compared the pen "feel" to my old x61 with the standard (touch) screen ... no problems with the pen, tracks and holds well. Finger is the bomb, selects anything. Thumbs up for the x220 tablet (if you have the i7, anyway, this is the only tablet with it as far as I know), but not with the glass display.

3.0 out of 5 stars good looking laptop, DP (not HDMI) is real issue, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Thinkpad X220 12.5" 320GB 4G (Personal Computers)
First the Good: this is a well made, good looking laptop. battery life is pretty good.

Now the Bad: Touchpad is not good at all. Display port to HDMI conversion is not fully functional. You may get video but audio is not. Have tried 3 different adapters. None of them worked.

Finally the Ugly: Tech support. Took over 4 hrs, but couldn't resolve this issue and advised me to go to best-buy to get it fixed or just return the laptop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, bad fan, poor customer service, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Thinkpad X220 12.5" 320GB 4G (Personal Computers)
I bought this laptop straight from lenovo and was quite happy with everything except for the fact that the fan makes a high pitched whine when doing normal activities such as browsing the internet. I called Lenovo and they sent me a box to ship the laptop back to them for repairs. It has now been three weeks and I still don't have my laptop back.

The laptop is a nice piece of work. Looks nice, awesome battery, awesome IPS screen.
The trackpad isn't as great as the trackpad I have on my T410 and it is a little small, but this is understandable because of the limited room available. I use the red nub for the most part anyways.

I'm reviewing this purchase as 2 out of 5 stars because of a pretty widespread fan issue that other x220 owners have also experienced and the experience I have had with Lenovo customer service. Lenovo was quick to send me a repair box, but this repair time is ridiculous. If they have a shortage of parts they should of just sent me a new laptop.

My Specs:
2gb ram

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Design, Poor Performance, April 11, 2012
Brian Battuello (Ossining, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinkpad X220 12.5" 320GB 4G (Personal Computers)
I really, really wanted to like this computer. I've owned over a dozen Thinkpads over the years. I use a T420 as my work machine, and this was going to be a game/movie/kid-safe machine. It has exactly the same CPU, memory and graphics as my T420, and the exact same keyboard and controls, which I really liked.

However, this is the little machine that couldn't. I noticed right away that the screen was significantly dimmer than my T420, even with all the power settings maxed out. If I put the X220 on maximum brightness (15), it is the same as the T420 on level 11 or 12, in other words much dimmer and washed out. Same for the volume. Max volume (50) on the X220 is the same as around 30 on the T420. To be fair, the T420 has much larger speakers.

But the real problem is the graphics. The X220, even with the second-generation I5 Core chip, just can't handle HD graphics. I tried it with Netflix, YouTube, and even Quicktime, and it stutters and chokes on all three. Even worse, when I play a child's game (nothing fancy), the four CPU's go to 90%, the fan shoots to high, and *really* hot air comes flying out of the vent.

In short, this puppy really needs a graphics card. I had hoped that the Intel 3000 would be an improvement over the old 2000, but apparently not.

Again, I really hated to send this guy back, but for almost $1000, I expected a machine that could zip through a Spongebob video without breaking a sweat. This isn't that machine. Sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars yeaaaaah babee, August 28, 2011
R. Miloh Alexander (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinkpad X220 12.5" 320GB 4G (Personal Computers)
I love my thinkpads, and the lenovo thinkpad x220 is a great little bugger that ticks by in the house winPro, or whatever flavor of linux you can throw at it.

that is all.