Published on July 17, 2008 by B. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice and big with too many issues
I give this bottle 2.5 stars and will not recommend it due to the issues above below. Look for Thermos bottles instead.

Published on January 19, 2011 by Calvin Lam

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally...an insulated stainless sports bottle! And it works!!, July 17, 2008
B. Williams (Fostoria, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
With all that's been all over the media lately about the pitfalls of plastic water bottles, I decided to invest in a good quality reusable metal water bottle. But, I had some specific criteria....it needed to be insulated, it needed to hold at least 24 oz, and it needed to have a "sport" top that would allow me to gulp, not just sip. There are some really great-looking ones out there, but from what I read in reviews, they don't keep liquids from getting to room temperature rather quickly, so off I went to what ended up being a quite exhaustive search. I finally came across the ThinkSport insulated bottle.

The item shipped pretty quickly and I was pleasantly surprised at its appearance. It looks just as nice as the photo, which doesn't always happen. I tested it out right away. I filled it with water and about a half dozen ice cubes and took it out on the golf course in about 90 degree heat & humidity. Two and a half hours later, it was still ice cold. Wow! I also really like the little screen that snaps in to keep the ice cubes from blocking the opening. A nice feature I wouldn't have thought of, but I appreciate.

My only negative comment that I have is that the spout is a screw cap, and I REALLY wish it was a snap cap. The plastic connecting loop is nice, but it sort of hinders the opening and closing of the screw spout cap, not convenient when you need to grab a quick drink like during a workout. Also, it looks like the stainless steel is going to scratch up pretty easily, but then again, I am a little rough with it; it doesn't fit in any cupholders, so it ends up rolling around.

Overall, a GREAT product, and from what I can tell, there aren't very many out there that has all the features that this one has. I plan on picking up one for my husband and recommending it to my friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice and big with too many issues, January 19, 2011
Calvin Lam (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews

I bought this bottle in October 2010 because I wanted an insulated stainless steel water bottle that holds about 750 mL. I bought and returned the Camelbak 750 mL bottle because it is not insulated and sweating problem. My first impression of this Thinksport was: it's way too big and too fat for a water bottle. It would not fit in a standard cup holder because of its huge footprint, however; it does fit in my Accord's cup holder.

The big opening mouth is nice, ice cubes can be put in easy. I didn't care too much for the mesh for tea: it's too small and sits too high for brewing tea. You'll get weak/watery tea. However, it does keep ice from blocking the flow.

In my unscientific test with ice water, I have three bottles: a Thinksport, an 18 oz Thermos Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle (model number HS4040CH) and an 16 oz Contigo tumbler. After left it out at the counter overnight, the C tumbler still has the most ice left in it, then the Thermos and last the Thinksport bottle.
I use my bottle mainly for ice coffee and ice water. For hot water, it does just an okay job. Can't beat my Nissan Briefcase Thermos.

There are too many grooves in the cap and neck area of the bottle that attract dirt and other stuff. It is hard to clean this bottle. Inside the big cap, there is a small white O-ring that keeps dirt underneath. The outside of the big cap has no groove or anything that help you to have a firm grip on. If your hand is wet or oily, you will have a hard time to open the cap. The small little cap on top also attracts dirt. I don't have any problem until last week I have trouble screwing and unscrewing the cap to the bottle. It became leaking. The steel part of the cap became separated from the inner plastic layer and all kind of dirt oozing out from the underneath layer. It looks really bad and dirty. Stainless steel cap outside and plastic layer inside: bad idea!

One of the reviewers has this same problem. I contacted Amazon customer service to report this problem and the Amazon representative is very nice, helpful and polite. She offers to replace this bottle at no cost to me even though it is out of the return period. No need to return the broken bottle. Great Amazon customer service!

5.0 out of 5 stars ThinkSport Stainless Steel Bottle - 12 oz., April 29, 2009
This is a great bottle. Has two screw off openings on top. One opening is large enough to put in ice or tea bag and the other smaller opening to drink out of. On top of the larger opening you have a stainless mesh insert that snaps in to keep ice or other things such as cloves or other spices or tea leaves from entering the smaller drink opening when in use. The smaller opening has a screw on cap that keeps attached to the bottle by a plastic strap that also acts as a handle. The smaller cap will not get lost and helps keep things like bees and ants out of your drink. Design makes this easy to take along wherever you go and no plastic taste! Stays cold for a long time. Convenient and well made.Measures 2 3/4 wide at it's widest point and 8 1/2 inches tall. Also convenient if you need to take medications on the go. If you need more hydration get the next size up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, for Me!, June 29, 2008
ThinkSport Stainless Steel Water Bottle - 750ml
This is a marvelous bottle. The shape was the deciding factor: no slippee. Other features: fill it with ice and water - still ice cold after 10 hours by my bedside. Big top and sipping top screw on and off very nicely. I started by buying the 350ml bottle and like it so much I'm buying the 750ml today. Both have a little mesh filter that fits inside - again the fit is perfect.

My only two complaints are (1)I can't locate any information about this company. What else does it make? Where is this product made? and (2)The name, "ThinkSport" rubs off after 5 or 6 uses. Weird.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can I give it zero stars?, October 13, 2011
Has anyone else had the same problem I've had with this product FOUR times now? Let me explain: I purchased two of these for my two kids for school. At first we were beyond thrilled. Loved the little mesh cap that acts like a filter, I guess and the size was perfect. Then, within 10 days, we couldn't close (or open, for that matter) the bottle. The bottle cap isn't solid stainless. It's a sheet of stainless glued over plastic (which, I wonder whether it's BPA-free). It appears that the glue that holds the stainless to the plastic gave out. Whether that be from washing the product or because the glue doesn't hold well, I have no idea, but basically what we ended up with was a bottle-cap shaped piece of stainless spinning around over the plastic cap. I returned these to Amazon and, just to see if I'd gotten two lemons, ordered the same product. Why? Because the size of these was ideal, and I was bent on having stainless. Today I printed the package return slip to send back the second two. Junk, junk, junk. Save your time and money and get something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars No match for Thermos, September 4, 2008
When I filled up my new silver 750ml ThinkSport for the first time, I was surprised that the outside of the bottle quickly got quite warm. I didn't fill it with boiling water, just fairly hot water (140F) for tea, i.e. hot enough to steep the tea, but not so hot that I'd need to let it cool down before drinking it. This is insulated? Thermos would laugh.

Then I tested its insulation properties by closing the cap, letting the bottle sit in my 80F room for 2.5 hours, and then measuring the temperature of the water later. It dropped from 140F to 113F, for those of you who are curious.

As another reviewer experienced, the bottle is a little cumbersome to drink from, since unscrewing the cap can interfere a bit with the plastic strap that attaches the cap to the bottle. Drinking from the bottle while that cap is bouncing around on the strap is a little annoying too. If you don't want to bother holding the strap and cap down against the bottle while drinking, you could use a rubber band to keep them out of the way. I realize this is not a solution for those who are constantly on the go, but it will do when I'm using it at the office.

What I like about this bottle are:
(1) the big 750ml capacity
(2) the mesh lid that allows you to keep tea bags or even loose tea leaves (or ice) in the bottle, without interfering with your drinking
(3) the shape
(4) the stainless steel material

For the reviewer who was looking for more information about the company, see thinksportbottles.com. The bottle is made in China.

For the reviewer who was trying to get in contact with customer support, go to the web site, and click on Contact Us in the lower right. This worked for me.

Added later: Like another reviewer, I found the "thinksport" label rubbing off within a few uses, mostly in the areas where my hand tended to hold the bottle.

In contrast, I also recently bought the Thermos Hydration Bottle 2465, which is so well-insulated that by touching the bottle, you can't tell if the liquid inside is ice cold, or super hot. Furthermore, it's so convenient to drink from. You just press a button, the lid pops open and clicks back out of your way, and you press the lid closed when you're done. I just wish that fantastic Hydration Bottle held more than 18 oz, since sometimes I go through that amount in one long gulp. That's the main reason I then bought this ThinkSport.

As a comparison, I tested the Hydration Bottle's insulation properties by filling it up with 140F water, closing the cap, letting the bottle sit in my 80F room for 2.5 hours (longer, actually), and then measuring the temperature of the water. It had dropped from 140F to 127F. Given that smaller volumes of water do not retain temperatures as well as larger volumes, I think this 18 oz Hydration Bottle rocks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just alright, although, not the best for the gym or exercise., May 6, 2008
Sandman (Encino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Just got my Thinksport bottles delivered. I do like the shape, even though it doesn't fit in any drink holders, in the car, etc. I suppose the fact that it is insulated may be good, at times. I really like that it is not plastic and BPA free.

I find it challenging to unscrew and open the spout with the strap getting in the way, especially, while I am exercising, it doesn't seem to lend itself to quick and easy opening and sipping while at the gym or during other exercising. I also have 2 Klean Kanteen bottles and another steel bottle, by New Wave Enviro. The Klean Kanteens are okay, but tops are leaky and can be hard to open, the New Wave Enviro is a nice larger size (1 liter) and easiest to hold but also can be hard to open the top, and my favorite top is my SIGG top, although, the 1 liter bottle is hard to keep ahold of and frequently slips out of my grip, if I hold it while walking or running.

Also, it would be nice to find one that was safe and doesn't clank around like these metal ones, but I do like the fact that these are supposed to be non-toxic, since I am not sure about any of the petroleum based plastics, with or without BPA. SO, all in all, I am still looking for the perfect bottle, but the Thinksport bottle is okay, has it's positives, but not perfect. .. my search continues

I think I will use it more for camping, but I prefer my SIGG sport top for working out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased., September 6, 2008
The bottle is a little larger than I expected and will not fit in the bottle holder on my bike as I had hoped but I do not regret the purchase at all.

This bottle provides the absolute best insulation of any bottle I've ever owned, almost too good! The first day I received it, I washed it out, filled it with tap water and placed it in the fridge to take with me on my ride to work the next day... about 8 hours later I pulled it out of the fridge and opened it up to take a drink and the water was still room temperature LOL. I learned my lesson and have filled it with pre-chilled water from my filter pitcher ever since and it stays cold just as well as it stays warm. I have left it in a hot car for hours and come back to find my water still icy cold.

The outside of the bottle does not "sweat" at all, and looks very nice, the mouth is nice and wide and easy to fill and the lil loop on the cap is very sturdy and secure.

The ONLY other complaint I have however is with the little screen over the mouth. Now putting a screen there was a great idea as it allows you to put in tea bags or ice, or whatever with no risk of them obstructing the drinking spout, but the very first time I tried to remove that screen the handle on it broke off and shot across the room... I never saw it again and subsequently cannot remove the screen now. (well I guess I can pry it out with a butter knife or something) but it insulates so well that I have no need to put ice in the bottle anyways.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, poor service!, October 18, 2010
Strategist (Cupertino, CA) - See all my reviews
Within few uses, we started noticing leaks at the neck of the bottle which is rather unusual. The steel part of the cap seperated from the inner plastic layer - as a result I had to toss the steel cover exposing the awkward looking plastic cap. Tried calling the customer support number several times - selft VMs, sent emails...no response. Also, the bottle is very bulky and heavy. Not suitable for hikes/trips in my honest opinion. This is garbage!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rusty at the top?, August 24, 2009
The only problem I found with this bottle is that a red residue formed along the top rim of the bottle. It appears to be rust (I thought stainless steel does not rust). On the positive side, the double wall construction keeps my drinks cold for hours despite being left in a sizzling car in Vegas.

Thinksport Ss Bottle 750ml-blu SB9750BLUE