5.0 out of 5 stars Better than TV

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but confusing
Published 9 months ago by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than TV, February 1, 2003
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
My husband is taking a class in biology this semester and one of the required "texts" is the CD collection, Thinkwell's Biology. Most of the educational CD's I've tried have been a great disappointment. The attempt at "interactive" formats has left much to be desired, and there were no lecturers at all. The Thinkwell work, on the other hand, is superb. The lecturer, George Wolfe, is enthusiastic, knowledgeable and entertaining. The table of contents includes evolution, organic and inorganic chemistry, cell biology, respiration, photosynthesis, molecular genetics, biotechnology, cell reproduction, Mendelian genetics and mutation, population genetics and evolution, evolution of life on earth, animal systems and homeostasis, plant systems and homeostasis, and ecology. With such a wide range of topics, the collection would be very helpful for students in earth history, geology, biology, ecology, and anthropology, among others. Furthermore, the lectures are simple enough in their content, design and presentation that I think that most junior high school students would find the material fully understandable. Each lecture is about 10 minutes in length, so there are frequent jumping-off spots to allow for other activities, and each is fast paced enough and topic focused enough to keep even the most hyperactive student's attention. I find that when my husband is watching the lectures, I join him and we spend an hour or more; it's better than TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good companion for first year college biology, December 30, 2001
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
This book is actually instructional CDs. George Wolfe does a good job of explaining the differents topics in general biology. Thinkwell's biology also has access to the thinkwell website where biology teachers can post a class syllabus. The website also has thinkwell exercises for the topics on the CD. A good companion for college students taking first-year biology.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but confusing, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
These videos are excellent, however, in order to truly understand the concepts that are being presented, you MUST pause and rewind multiple times. The lecturer frequently moves too fast, making the material seem more confusing than it actually is, and doesn't give you enough time nor connections to gel important concepts with one another, thus making them easier to remember. IF you are planning to purchase this product, I would highly recommend watching the videos while having a biology textbook open in front of you (turned, of course, to the relevant pages). Otherwise, the concepts are presented in a confusing, disorganized fashion. I don't blame the lecturer on this, however, because biology is a subject inherently full of numerous concepts and an infinite amount of detail.
However, one big complaint I have is that the lecturer frequently makes the incorrect statement that breaking bonds releases energy (especially in the videos on cellular respiration). This is SUCH an incorrect statement and ANY chemistry professor will tell you that breaking bonds REQUIRES energy and does NOT release energy. The ACTUAL release of energy results from the oxidation of glucose, which results in the transfer of electrons from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, thus releasing energy...NOT from bonds themselves! I wish Thinkwell hired a different lecturer to record these cellular respiration videos, as the concept of energy being released from bonds being broken gives students a COMPLETELY incorrect idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a fellow teacher., February 1, 2012
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
In my opinion, if you cannot learn Biology from George Wolfe, you are not going to learn it. I am a Biology professor and I bought these cds after running across some excerpts on youtube. He does an outstanding job of breaking down the topics and giving great analogies to help students learn the material. By watching these videos I feel like I have become a much better teacher. I would buy these again and again. For parent of a Biology student, this is an amazing tool. A Definite must have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good lecturer but not rigorous enough, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
I had considered becoming a biology major earlier in my college career and picked up this resource because I had success with Thinkwell Calculus in the past. I did enjoy the lectures but found that it was not rigorous enough for my intro bio classes. I wish there were more application exercises for the DNA and genetics/probability stuff...my classes went way more in-depth than what was presented here. I found this to be more like high school biology than university level biology in the amount of depth and rigor covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, October 13, 2010
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
I purchased this item as study material for Introductory Biology and I will tell you it is better than my textbook. I often found myself skipping my college lecture to watch this instead. It is very in depth. George Wolfe is very enthusiastic, his love for Biology makes you love it as well. He is an excellent teacher!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing thinkwell, November 28, 2004
samarpana (long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
If you want an A in 1st year biology- get this and your A will be an easy A. This stuff is a Godsend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Worthless!, December 19, 2005
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
I bought this set of CDs for an online biology class I had. The CDs have long dragged out lectures. The professor lectures are more entertaining than most, but they are not worth watching since they do not stress what my professor thought was important. The only useful thing in the CD set was the ID number which you can use to access notes from their website.

To tell you the truth, I made an A in my biology class by just looking at these notes. A friend of mine was using the same CD set and was having the hardest time with the class until I told her to forget watching the CD lectures and just go to Thinkwell's website. Then she later told me thanks for helping her raise her grade up to an A.

If you must buy this set, then buy the cheapest and get the ID number. That's the only thing of value.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Remember Purchasing This Product, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook (CD-ROM)
Word#1, word#2, word#3, word#4, word#5, word#6, word#7, word#8, word#9, word#10, word#11, word#12, word#13, word#14, word#15, word#16, word#17, word#18, word#19 and word#20.

ARRAY(0xa38f7b04)

Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook
Thinkwell Biology: The Next-Generation Textbook by George Wolfe (CD-ROM - Aug. 2000)
Used & New from: $14.14