5.0 out of 5 stars Thinner This Year

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful Information; Poor Format
Published on December 4, 2012 by Rosalie Sanderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinner This Year, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
I qualify this rating by saying I have been for the last 6 months a "beta tester" of this program and read the pre-publication manuscript! But I must say its a terrific read, entertaining and educational. Chris Crowley does humorously inspire you to get moving and keep at it and Jen backs it up with all the scientific knowledge to assure you that you are on the right track. My goal was 15 lbs and I met that goal, feel terrific and the program really has become a part of my life. At 63, I will continue on this lifestyle change with a goal of losing 10 more pounds and aging with enthusiasm!

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful Information; Poor Format, December 4, 2012
Rosalie Sanderson (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
I just received this book today. I've read Younger Next Year, and I think that the books in this series are very good. The co-authors of THINNER THIS YEAR bring complementary skills to this project. Unfortunately the formatting of the book makes it difficult to read and follow. I went back to the table of contents to read through it several times just to remind myself what I was supposed to be learning from the chapters. In a non-fiction book like this, it would be useful to have formatting features which make the organization and main points of the book clear. This book needs bullets, lists, side-bars and shaded sections. The content is A+; the formatting is D-.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read., December 6, 2012
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
This book picks up where "Younger Next Year" leaves off. Where "YNY" educates you on why you need to workout and eat properly, "Thinner This Year" tells you how to workout and what you should be eating. You can spend a lot of money on personal trainers and classes. Or, you spend less than $40 bucks on this book. Besides, reading anything from Crowley is worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Caveat for low carbers, December 25, 2012
Maine Reflections (Hancock, ME United States) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed Younger Next Year, so I got the Younger Next Year for Women....which was OK but repeated a lot of info and stories from the first book. Then I ordered this one. Chris, as usual, is funny. The book recycles several stories from the first two books, so now I have 3 versions. Anyway, in this book, there is a lot of information on nutrition, a lot of it I have issues with when it comes to grains. Since nutrition and recipes , etc., constitute half the book, I skim through those parts just to get it over with. The info on exercise is good, but so much of that was basically repeated from the first two books.

Some folks will get a lot of helpful advice from this book, but the nutrition aspect of it did not speak to me, as I lean toward low carb and am perturbed by the constant drone of "eat whole grains" when other books like Wheat Belly explain the risks of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Details to go with the Overviews, Strategies to go with the Tactics, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
"Younger This Year" outlined the processes going on that causes what Americans have settled for in old age. I was seeing this hapening to myself so I was ready to act. "Thinner This Year" delves much deeper into the scientific underlayments so those who want specifics to cross check to convince themselves will have more facts than they wanted to see.

Since I am already convinced, having foods and quantities spelled out is a big help. The exercises listed are different than when I was a boy and have shown me how to modify what I do to work areas I need to exercise now.

Chris is a great motivator and he picks execellent scientists to work with.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING, December 30, 2012
Tyler L. Easley (Sammamish, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Younger Next Year. Loved its science-based approach to the subject matter. So it was with real excitement that I bought and read Thinner This Year. What a let down. To the degree that it reflected the "best of" YNY, it was fine. And aspects of its "diet and exercise" content were good if already well-documented everywhere (work-out, eat less crap, etc.) But I kept getting an "eating disorder vibe" from many of the nutrition sections: obsess about amounts eaten, excessive cardio in order to "burn off pounds," stories of "falling off the wagon" type experiences. Additionally, there was a brief and breezy dismissal of anything "Paleo" with no supporting data at all. Anyway, as stated, YNY is a terrific book. As a complement to it, I'd recommend something along the lines of The Primal Blueprint, not TTY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same 'ol-same 'ol, different cover., January 11, 2013
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
This book is not adequate for someone not familiar with dieting and for those who are, you already know anything valuable it contains. Let me spare you the heartbreak: Eat lots of vegtables and fruit. Cut back on fats and carbs, especially processed. Exercise as much as life allows. Ta-da!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rosetta Stone of diet/ exercise/lifestyle books, December 16, 2012
Crazy Dave (Westport, CT, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
Chris and Jen pick a careful line through all the conflicting and confusing information on diet and exercise. Their line is fact based drawing on the best scientific evidence and they make it approachable and readable, with a smile and a laugh. Chris and Jen treat their readers with respect, candor, and humor. They show the powerful linkage of nutrition and exercise and why both is necessary for long term health and fitness. And they show you how. I read Younger Next year 4 years ago and it changed my life. Thinner This Year has provided new and exciting information to help me recharge my own personal commitment to my journey. It has encouraged me to recommit and go to a next level. I strongly recommend this book to all. You are never too young or to old to start your personal journey. Chris and Jen show the way and travel with us. And they make you laugh.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two books one excellent, one not so much, September 6, 2014
Don Sanders (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
If you are a fan of Younger Next Year as I am you will likely find this book disappointing. First, it is no longer focused only on older adults. Second, this time Chris has teamed up with a very bright and very opinionated nutritionist who is apparently unaware of recent research on the benign nature of much dietary fat and the fact that the China Study has not withstood academic review. Anyone who disagrees with her advice is ill informed, detrimental to society's health and a "nitwit." Save us from the righteous. The last third of the book, mainly focused on older folks exercise and written by Crowley, is ground breaking and excellent. But spare me any more "Jen."

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical fitness advice for real people - nutrition & excercise, December 15, 2012
Chuck A. (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book (Hardcover)
Chris' charismatic storytelling style and Jen's knack for making the science of nutrition and exercise understandable are a compelling combination in this common sense personal fitness book. "Thinner This Year" focuses on diet and exercise and dispels many myths of so-called fitness gurus promoting miracle weight loss programs, dietary supplements, etc. that drive a 60+ billion dollar per year diet industry in the USA. If you read and follow their advice, you will lose weight and keep it off.

I've been following Chris's Younger Next Year lifestyle since 2008 and participated in a 6 month pre-publication fitness trial for "Thinner This Year". During the trial I moved from slightly overweight into the high end of the healthy BMI (body mass index) range and although I didn't reach my aggressive 20 pound weight loss goal in 6 months I lost 14 pounds, and my wife lost 15. We'll stick with it and I expect to move further into the healthy BMI range.

"Thinner This Year" provides practical advice and motivation to increase daily exercise, and build healthy nutrition habits. Chris and Jen guides readers away from the "Mountain of Slop & Despair" (the addictive bounty of junk food that makes us fat and sick) to understand how our bodies are designed to burn a healthy mix of carbs, fat and protein, and the important role of fiber and vitamins for good health. The exercise chapters teach readers how to tune our internal engines to burn calories more effectively, while avoiding injuries to improve strength, balance and agility, all of which enhance our quality of life.

Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book
Thinner This Year: A Younger Next Year Book by Chris Crowley (Hardcover - December 11, 2012)
$24.95 $18.59