What should your child learn in the third grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American third graders. Featuring 16 pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Third Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children.
Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This revised edition gives a new generation of third graders the advantage they need to make progress in school today, and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime.
• Favorite Poems, old and new, from the traditional Mother Goose rhyme "For Want of Nail" to Lewis Carroll's whimsical poem "The Crocodile"
• Literature from around the world, including Native American stories, African folktales, European fairy tales, classic myths from ancient Greece, stories from ancient Rome, and more
• Learning About Language--the basics of written English, including sentence structure, parts of speech, and a first look at writing a report or letter
• World and American History and Geography--journey down the great rivers of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, visit ancient Rome, and experience the earliest days of America with the Pilgrims and Native Americans
• Visual Arts--an introduction to masterworks by Rembrandt, Henri Matisse, Mary Cassatt, and others, with full-color reproductions and fun, do-it-yourself activities
• Music--the basics of appreciating, reading, and making music, plus great composers, instruments, and sing-along lyrics for songs such as "A Bicycle Built for Two" and "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"
• Math--stimulating lessons ranging from counting money to solving division problems, numbers through 100,000, graphs, and the metric system
• Science--fascinating discussions on the natural world, the cycles of life, the human body and its systems, pollution, and the environment---with accompanying activities and stories about famous scientists such as Copernicus and Alexander Graham Bell.
I love how the different subjects are broken down and there are examples of various books you can use to help you scholar achieve at a higher level. Read morePublished 3 months ago by ,damali williams
Cover the critical topics. Kids were interested in working with it. It would help kids prepared for the grade. Well organized.Published 3 months ago by Alan from NYC
I use this book to supplement our 3rd grade curriculum at home. I love having a baseline to go off of. We homeschool so I have a curriculum I use but this book fills in the gaps. Read morePublished 6 months ago by jessi
My son and I read from this about four days out of the week and he loves learning from it. It covers all third grade subjects; even though the history section was very... Read morePublished 7 months ago by Rabisch
We started this series in kindergarten. We are 1/2 way through 4th grade. It is a very informative collection of all subjects. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Leesaw
loved it, what I expected it to be, it is a book, I should have known what I was ordering, right?Published 7 months ago by Misti L. Timpson
Have heard great things about this series of books especially for home school use. My daughter's enjoying using them with her children.Published 8 months ago by susan nielsen
An overview of just what a third grader will need to know for a successful education. Introducing new concepts and reading materials.Published 8 months ago by foster,bevrly
The KIndle version works great on my iPad Mini. The art pictures can be tapped and enlarged to fill my screen. The TOC works nicely.Published 9 months ago by K.M.