What should your child learn in the third grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American third graders. Featuring 16 pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Third Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children.
Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This revised edition gives a new generation of third graders the advantage they need to make progress in school today, and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime.
• Favorite Poems, old and new, from the traditional Mother Goose rhyme "For Want of Nail" to Lewis Carroll's whimsical poem "The Crocodile"
• Literature from around the world, including Native American stories, African folktales, European fairy tales, classic myths from ancient Greece, stories from ancient Rome, and more
• Learning About Language--the basics of written English, including sentence structure, parts of speech, and a first look at writing a report or letter
• World and American History and Geography--journey down the great rivers of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, visit ancient Rome, and experience the earliest days of America with the Pilgrims and Native Americans
• Visual Arts--an introduction to masterworks by Rembrandt, Henri Matisse, Mary Cassatt, and others, with full-color reproductions and fun, do-it-yourself activities
• Music--the basics of appreciating, reading, and making music, plus great composers, instruments, and sing-along lyrics for songs such as "A Bicycle Built for Two" and "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"
• Math--stimulating lessons ranging from counting money to solving division problems, numbers through 100,000, graphs, and the metric system
• Science--fascinating discussions on the natural world, the cycles of life, the human body and its systems, pollution, and the environment---with accompanying activities and stories about famous scientists such as Copernicus and Alexander Graham Bell.
I bought this to use as a review for my third grader and found it has so much more then she has covered in school this year. Read morePublished 25 days ago by Preddy
This is a good guide to know what to cover in homeschool for the year if you are on your own. But the author puts in a lot of common core stuff that I did not agree with.Published 4 months ago by Deborah Jones
I am using this book, not as a curriculum but more as a guideline, to make sure I cover everything this year for my 3rd graders. It is a great book for homeschoolers!Published 6 months ago by DebM
My son really enjoys this book. I homeschool, and I use this to supplement my middle son's curriculum. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Amazon Customer