5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book
Published on July 18, 2006 by Mom and Teacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, But Where's the Kindle Edition?
Purchased this book for our grade 3 homeschooler (paper edition), but where is the kindle edition?

We are trying to go electronic (as much as possible) when we travel, but currently the 'Grade Three' edition is not available.

Overall this curriculum has provided a great guideline for our home school program, I would like to see more books available...
Published on September 28, 2011 by Prime reader

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, July 18, 2006
This review is from: What Your Third Grader Needs to Know (Revised Edition): Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series) (Paperback)
This book is great if you homeschool or want to help your child during the summer. If you want to use it for homeschool, Hirsch has made a teacher handbook. The Teacher Handbooks provide background about language arts, history and geography, visual arts, music, mathematics, and science. Each handbook has been written to look like the Core Knowledge Sequence. For each section in the Sequence, there is a matching section in the handbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but lacks practice question sets., February 8, 2004
By A Customer
For our two children, we have been using Core Knowledge Curriculum Textbooks. They are great a supplement to the learning they get at their school.
We like the systematic curriculum presented in Core Knowledge books. However, these books do not contain question sets to test the learning of the students. Fortunately, we found the following website that provides worksheets based on Core Knowledge curriculum:
[...]

Please share if you know of any other resources related to Core Knowledge books. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, December 15, 2005
I am a homeschooling parent of a 10 year old and this book has helped me narrow my teaching down to include some important things ( even some I was missing!) Every 3rd grade teacher should at least look at this book. All kids should be learning the same things regardless of school or home state. Half of the things in this book were never even mentioned in my child's previous school's curriculum plan. A great guidebook to make sure you are including important subjects in your child's learning plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for parents, December 21, 2004
This book contains such a comprehensive overview that it is invaluable as resource for parents of public schooled children.

If you are not sure about what your children should be learning, buy this book. No book contains every aspect of education and it doesn't address how to tailor to individual learning styles or needs but it is very well rounded. My daughter uses it as pleasure reading at bedtime. Also, as a parent, you will be surprised what you've forgotten in a few areas. Highly recommend as a teaching at home resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book of enrichment, October 25, 2006
This is an excellent book. I read many chapters for my son before bed. We both like them very much. They broaden his knowledge and enrich his mind like nothing else. My son's school does not provide this much content. We would have missed significant literature, history, and geography without it. The authors have done an important and nice job!

I do see the math section is too easy for 3rd graders nowadays. We use BeeStar online math instead. Its free weekly exercises are about right and very helpful. Overall, this is an outstanding book loaded with fine content. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Core Knowledge Books a great bulding block for all students., October 4, 2005
I loved the core knowledge curriculum. The reason I switched my children to a charter school is that they started out teaching CK. I also switched them back to the public school when the principal got away from CK and made it just like a public school.

I agree that a teacher should supplement what is in the CK books to give their students a better understanding of the material. Teaching the information exactly how it is presented in the books would be very dry.

However CK is a great outline of what should be taught. It covers a tremendous amount of knowledge including the fight for civil rights, all religious ideology, multicultural literature and more. If there is a problem with the books, it is that many children would not be motivated to learn the wide variety of topics covered. For many it would be too much. Also weak teachers would be overwhelmed trying to cover everything.

Hence, anyone claiming that CK supports a racist philosophy has never read the books. Also I want to point out that the reviewer who called the books racist misspelled the word. It is not spelled rasist. I also find it disturbing that the reviewer is supposedly a teacher. When attending school, maybe that teacher would have benefited from a core knowledge foundation.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid fundamentals, July 3, 2003
I find this series very useful for reviewing with my children - to ensure that my son "got it" for material taught in class, and to cover aspects that teachers were less interested in (like simple machines). It isn't glitzy, but it lets me know what my kids ought to know and helps with the level of detail they can handle. I can augment with glossy picture-books, testing material out with hands-on work at home, ad lib. This provides the framework. (Wish there was a pre-school book for my 3-year old!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 3rd Grade Teacher "Weighs In", November 30, 2003
By A Customer
Core Knowledge is tried and true! I left public schools and headed to a private school, lower pay, so that I could get away from all the over-the-top P.C. and multiculture (lessons in self-loathing) brainwashing and teach kids factual knowledge which is very much needed. Every school in the U.S. should be a C.K. school. Get the series and DO supplement. While you're at it, don't forget the phonics instruction: "Alpha Phonics" by Sam Blumenfeld is excellent. I use this phonics primer along with C.K. books in the classroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Third grader should have this book!, March 24, 2013
The Language Arts section has the perfect balance of silliness and sentimentality. My third grader rewrites the poems and they have engaged her enough to where she is now independently writing her own poems and silly songs. Because of this new found love for poetry, her penmanship as well as her spelling have improved tenfold. She is also enjoying putting the different forms of art to use. The geography and history sections give a brief over view but when we include out globes, maps and make our own maps, she has a complete understanding of not only the vocabulary but knowing and understanding what happened, where it happened and how to find it. She has always been addicted to science and math. She has always had a natural understanding (knack) for those. We love this series of books!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, November 2, 2006
This book is very good to my kid. It covers not only literature and math, but science, art, history, etc as well. Both my kid and I like it.