Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 18, 2006
This book is great if you homeschool or want to help your child during the summer. If you want to use it for homeschool, Hirsch has made a teacher handbook. The Teacher Handbooks provide background about language arts, history and geography, visual arts, music, mathematics, and science. Each handbook has been written to look like the Core Knowledge Sequence. For each section in the Sequence, there is a matching section in the handbooks.
on February 8, 2004
For our two children, we have been using Core Knowledge Curriculum Textbooks. They are great a supplement to the learning they get at their school.
We like the systematic curriculum presented in Core Knowledge books. However, these books do not contain question sets to test the learning of the students. Fortunately, we found the following website that provides worksheets based on Core Knowledge curriculum:
[...]

Please share if you know of any other resources related to Core Knowledge books. Thank you.
on December 21, 2004
This book contains such a comprehensive overview that it is invaluable as resource for parents of public schooled children.

If you are not sure about what your children should be learning, buy this book. No book contains every aspect of education and it doesn't address how to tailor to individual learning styles or needs but it is very well rounded. My daughter uses it as pleasure reading at bedtime. Also, as a parent, you will be surprised what you've forgotten in a few areas. Highly recommend as a teaching at home resource.
on December 15, 2005
I am a homeschooling parent of a 10 year old and this book has helped me narrow my teaching down to include some important things ( even some I was missing!) Every 3rd grade teacher should at least look at this book. All kids should be learning the same things regardless of school or home state. Half of the things in this book were never even mentioned in my child's previous school's curriculum plan. A great guidebook to make sure you are including important subjects in your child's learning plan.
on July 3, 2003
I find this series very useful for reviewing with my children - to ensure that my son "got it" for material taught in class, and to cover aspects that teachers were less interested in (like simple machines). It isn't glitzy, but it lets me know what my kids ought to know and helps with the level of detail they can handle. I can augment with glossy picture-books, testing material out with hands-on work at home, ad lib. This provides the framework. (Wish there was a pre-school book for my 3-year old!)
on March 24, 2013
The Language Arts section has the perfect balance of silliness and sentimentality. My third grader rewrites the poems and they have engaged her enough to where she is now independently writing her own poems and silly songs. Because of this new found love for poetry, her penmanship as well as her spelling have improved tenfold. She is also enjoying putting the different forms of art to use. The geography and history sections give a brief over view but when we include out globes, maps and make our own maps, she has a complete understanding of not only the vocabulary but knowing and understanding what happened, where it happened and how to find it. She has always been addicted to science and math. She has always had a natural understanding (knack) for those. We love this series of books!
on October 4, 2005
I loved the core knowledge curriculum. The reason I switched my children to a charter school is that they started out teaching CK. I also switched them back to the public school when the principal got away from CK and made it just like a public school.

I agree that a teacher should supplement what is in the CK books to give their students a better understanding of the material. Teaching the information exactly how it is presented in the books would be very dry.

However CK is a great outline of what should be taught. It covers a tremendous amount of knowledge including the fight for civil rights, all religious ideology, multicultural literature and more. If there is a problem with the books, it is that many children would not be motivated to learn the wide variety of topics covered. For many it would be too much. Also weak teachers would be overwhelmed trying to cover everything.

Hence, anyone claiming that CK supports a racist philosophy has never read the books. Also I want to point out that the reviewer who called the books racist misspelled the word. It is not spelled rasist. I also find it disturbing that the reviewer is supposedly a teacher. When attending school, maybe that teacher would have benefited from a core knowledge foundation.
on May 29, 2015
this is a great book for anyone starting out homeschooling and not knowing where to start. I was lost on what to teach my children until i got this. everything is right there for you. I got the other cover of this book but they all still have the same. my children enjoy working through the book and made it easy for them to understand. I want to note this is based on common core but not as bad as other books that i have come across in my search for something good. I would suggest this to anyone new to homeschooling or something to give a little extra studies to your children for what they are learning in school.
on July 10, 2016
All of these books are indispensable for parents trying to fill in gaps left by public school education, homeschoolers, or grandparents/others who love grade school kids. Each level (Preschool - Sixth Grade) covers what the student should know at that grade and includes much of the material and wonderful lists in the back for other books, recordings, movies, toys, etc. Lots of ideas of material to sneak into time spent with kids.

I have these on my own shelf, have gifted them to my children for my grandkids, often give them to young parents, and blessed school teachers with copies of them, too.
on October 25, 2006
This is an excellent book. I read many chapters for my son before bed. We both like them very much. They broaden his knowledge and enrich his mind like nothing else. My son's school does not provide this much content. We would have missed significant literature, history, and geography without it. The authors have done an important and nice job!

I do see the math section is too easy for 3rd graders nowadays. We use BeeStar online math instead. Its free weekly exercises are about right and very helpful. Overall, this is an outstanding book loaded with fine content. I highly recommend it.