5.0 out of 5 stars Branching out a little more
Published on May 20, 2012 by Brian Welsch

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?
Published on April 19, 2011 by Damien Schwader

5.0 out of 5 stars Branching out a little more, May 20, 2012
Brian Welsch (Spartanburg, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
I have three Robert Miles albums now - 23 AM, Organik, and Thirteen. I love that each one is completely different than the others and still maintains a high level of production and artistry. I'm glad he doesn't go back to the old 90s style and is constantly willing to experiment and expand. For people that enjoy Children and Dreamland, you can still listen to that and if Miles put out Dreamland 2 you'd be bored with it and complain that he just rehashed the old stuff.
I hear a few different influences on this album, from early Porcupine Tree and Photek to Satriani. There are calm, peaceful moments of solo piano as well some D-n-B, jazz and prog rock influence. I think it's a beautiful, interesting, and sometimes even fun album that's been getting better with each listen (5 so far). There is still an ambient electronica vibe throughout, but more traditional instrumentation is highlighted with guitars, bass and drums. I definitely recommend it if you like some variety and checking out something a little different.

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, April 19, 2011
Damien Schwader (Ft. Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
I won't spend much time on this review, but I can say that as a big fan of most Robert Miles, I could not wait for this release. Organik and Miles Gurtu were fantastic. How does this compare? It doesn't. The jazziness, experimental sound and slick production is gone. What's left is an album that is half down-tempo ambient sounds, half amateur garage rock. The garage band portions of the album sound like a bunch of hippie 55 year old guys jamming in a garage. Wow, terrible. bummer.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2011, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Th1rt3en (Audio CD)
Lovers of '70s classic and progressive rock have received a gorgeous gift from an unexpected place: a DJ who veered from the narrow path to which his followers seem to want him confined. This is a chiefly instrumental work of grandeur and beauty and features contributions by none other than the art-rock guitar maven Robert Fripp. The remixes that round out the album on at least one edition are everything I was hoping the disastrous Orb/David Gilmour collaboration, Metallic Spheres, would be. Brimming with life and energy, this is a sumptious blend of textures and moods. Wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and diverse, July 13, 2011
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
Jazz, rock and electronica rolled into one... A nice late night listen -- not necessarily calming, but not something you would dance to. I have been a Robert Miles fan since the mid-90s when he built his name as a solid trance DJ, and in my opinion he has only improved with time as he evolved into a more original, experimental and raw sound. I'm not sure Thirteen is quite as good as Organik or Miles/Gurtu -- I need to hear it a few more times to be sure... But if you liked those you won't be disappointed with this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, June 9, 2014
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
This is a great album! Very deep. It's not trance, as you might expect. It's an instrumental album that is very chill and trippy. If you're just into mainstream pop then it's probably not for you. But if you're someone who can enjoy all kinds of music, then I recommend. Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars No particular style to this album, May 10, 2011
This review is from: Th1rt3en (Audio CD)
I have been waiting years for a new album and am disappointed to get this one. The original Dreamland album has been my favorite for many years. It has a certain style, beats, sounds and a tune. I wouldn't know a category this album would fall into, sounds more like an experiment.

5.0 out of 5 stars And he does it again..., April 15, 2011
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
All I can say is: Wow. Robert Miles is back with another amazing musical journey. This time I think you really get the full spectrum of his influences: electronic, jazz, rock, world, ambient.. it's all in there. Beautiful, flowing compositions with a lot of thought put into them. Definitely similar territory to Organik, so don't be expecting Trance. Let's just hope the next album doesn't take 10 years!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste... So long Robert Miles., July 27, 2011
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
I once considered Robert Miles by favorite "techno artist" but ever since Organik, his music has gone down hill... I didn't even bother to buy the whole CD this time around because I was so diappointed in Organik other then one song in particular.

I love his 'older' music like Children, Leaving Behind, and some other remixes but his latest and greatest is crap. Of the songs I sampled I figured I'd go with ''Voices From A Submerged Sea'' because it was the closest thing to sounding like old Robert Miles... but it failed. What a waste of a dollar.

Robert needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out what made him a success (when he was a success) and build off of it... I don' even want to bother listening to anything else he makes until he does it right.

I wouldn't recommend this CD to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars train wreck!, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Thirteen (MP3 Music)
Why bother putting out music if it sounds like you made it in your spare bedroom? This is not the Robert Miles I know. Save your cash. Skip this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars review, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Th1rt3en (Audio CD)
not a great album. its seems he left the music scene for while. his come back album could have been a lot better.I rather save my money. I can hear and see of I like them.Robert miles has done better. this is just not one of them.leave come back again and do harder.

Thirteen