Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Thirty Three & 1/3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 4, 2015
Wonderfully produced by Harrison, with a warm, intimate sound, Thirty Three & 1/3 stands tall among the solo Beatle's varying releases. The last five songs on the album-It's what you Value, True Love, Pure Smokey, Crackerbox Palace, and Learning How to Love you, are uniformly excellent and provide a good overview of all of Harrison's finest song writing qualities. Crackerbox Palace is the most recognizable song here; Learning How to Love You is a lovely ballad with a great guitar solo in the "Something" mode, It's What You Value is wry and melodic, Pure Smokey is great white soul music, and True Love (the album's lone cover) should've could've been a big hit had it ever been released as a single. This album is a must buy for Harrison/Beatles fans if only for the fourth track--"This Song", a big hit when it was first released, but criminally unavailable on any Harrison compilation disc. This is the only album you'll find it on. I give this album four stars only because I grade on a curve and reserve 5 stars for only the greatest albums ever released (for example most of the Beatles albums).
on December 15, 2014
This album is awesome and vastly underrated. Willie Weeks and Andy Newmark are one of the coolest rhythm sections ever. It's a strong album over all. "See Yourself" is one of George's finest songs and he has many, many fine songs. This album is among my very favorite Harrison solo albums along with "All Things Must Pass" "Dark Horse" "George Harrison" and "Cloud 9". Beautiful, soulful, playful, groovy stuff. I miss George!
on June 15, 2003
It's a shame this record isn't available anymore. George Harrison had just few memorable discs and 33 1/3 was one of them, I'd say the other discs were: All Things Must Pass and Living in a Material World. Anyway, it's possible to get it used so if you can afford to pay the money they're asking for it, it would really worth. The songs featured in this disc are not available in any Harrison's collection. This disc is a must to any keen on Beatles' music.
on April 30, 2009
I waited a long time to finally find a copy of this album, and while it hasn't become one of my top favorites of George's solo albums, it was well worth the wait. This album is a gigantic step up from his previous one, the beyond-horrible 'Extra Texture.' The difference between these two albums is like night and day! After a couple of commercial failures and sinking popularity, George finally came back into his element and began making consistently solid and high-quality music. And while I greatly enjoy his spiritual songs, since I share many of his spiritual and philosophical beliefs, I know that a lot of people don't like his songs in that genre. Here the songs that deal with matters of the spiritual, like "Dear One," do it much more subtly, not so obvious and detailed. By and large, this is a rock record, not a spiritual journey like ATMP or LITMW. And since it was made during such a happy and positive time in his life (starting a new record label, a new love relationship, more secure in his religious beliefs and no longer in the throes of the convert's zeal), the mood of the album really reflects that sense of peace and happiness.

While most of these songs aren't what I would personally consider my favorite from George's solo catalogue (and thus why I don't hold it as one of my personal top favorites of his), they are still very polished and high-quality, reflecting diverse subjects (such as his love of Formula One racing in "It's What You Value," love songs such as "Beautiful Girl," and "This Song," making light of the "My Sweet Lord" plagiarism charges after enough time had passed for him to see the humor in it). It also contains one of his signature songs, "Crackerbox Palace," which really expresses beautifully his whole outlook on life, summing up his philosophy, in the same vein as, e.g., "Any Road" or "ATMP." It also shows that he could write very good rock songs and wasn't totally about spiritual songs. My favorite song on the album is the absolutely gorgeous "Pure Smokey." Not only is it a well-deserved tribute to Smokey Robinson and his beautiful voice, but it also conveys the message that we should show thanks and gratitude while people are still with us, instead of waiting till they've passed on to start praising them and talking about all they mean to you. I like how it also has a nod to his belief (which I share) that we should ultimately thank the Divine for Smokey, since his voice and talents are really gifts on loan from the Divine, and thus sings, "I want to thank you Lord for giving us pure Smokey."

I would recommend this album to anyone who's already gone through George's best albums and is interested in exploring his second-tier efforts. It's also something I'd recommend to someone interested in hearing a more rock-type record from him and not just an album composed primarily of spiritual songs.
on May 14, 2016
If this album is not a masterpiece, do not know what is. There is not a single tune on this fine album that I dislike. Thoroughly enjoy the first to the last note. Might be the best thing he ever did.
Finally back in print after a number of years MIA, "Thirty-Three and 1/3"(a reference to George's age when the album was set for release)presented George's first release on his custom label. The album brims with tuneful, funny and rocking shows. The two singles (also videos shown in "Saturday Night Live")"This Song" which chronicles Harrison's battle with Bright Tunes over the "borrowed" melody for "My Sweet Lord" features terrific horn playing by Tom Scott and killer piano fills by Billy Preston.
"Crackerbox Palace" a wistful song states George's philosphy of life in a nicely detailed, compact and catchy single. Most of the rest of the album resembles these catchy singles; strong vivid arrangements and playing and nicely detailed production. "See Yourself", "Beautiful Girl" (originally written around the time of "All Things Must Pass"), the looping melody of "Women Don't You Cry For Me" stand out as many of the highlights on the album. The Steely Dan influenced "It's What You Value" has a nice R&B feel to it.
There are a fine minor missteps such as Harrison's interesting remake of "True Love" (by Cole Porter)and his tribute to Smokey Robinson. On the whole, though, 33 1/3 is a great little album that deserves to be included in any Beatles/Harrison fan's collection.
on April 9, 2016
I put this CD in and immediately wondered what I was listening to. I heard that of all of George's solo albums, this was the best. IMO, I prefer All Things Must Pass. However, after the first two tracks (which aren't that good) this develops into a pretty good record. It's one of those records that the deep tracks are the best ones. I have always preferred Paul and George for post-Beatle careers. Paul first, George second. I only like a little of what John did and Ringo only when he is playing with one of the others. For me, this is one of those records I will have to listen to multiple times before I get a handle on it. Whether this record will grow on me, I don't know. I am guessing that it will. The songs where he gets spiritual/mystical are his best. 3 1/2.
on February 27, 2004
This great album from 1976 is once again available for fans of George! (you can even tell it's the bicentennial by looking closely at the goofy glasses he wears on the album's cover) One of George's best and most underrated albums, "33&1/3" features several solid songs and is great disc to just chill out, listen to, and think of the spiritual Beatle.
The biggest hit off the disc is probably "Crackerbox Palace", but even that didn't get the airplay it deserved. Other very strong offerings are the opening track "Woman Don't You Cry For Me", the touching "Dear One", "Pure Smokey", and "Beautiful One". "33&1/3" is another fine example of George's magnificent guitarwork coupled to lyrics that are both witty and meaningful (and yes, sometimes even funny). I can't stress enough the quality of all the songs here, and many of them don't appear on any of the Harrison collections that are floating around.
Once again I'd like to express my gratitude for the remastering and rerelease of the George Harrison catalogue. It's past due, but better late than never, and George has never sounded better.
VINE VOICEon August 29, 2004
This is Harrison's strong re-entry after geting burned by critics after Extra Texture. "This Song" and "Crackerbox Palace" were entertaining hits that were actually made into music videos that pre-dated MTV and were shown on Saturday Night Live at the time. "This Song" was Harrison's come back over his law suit for
"My Sweet Lord" but I really enjoyed the love songs on the original LP, "Beautiful Girl" ("Never seen such a beautiful girl, got me skaking inside), "True Love", and "Learning How to Love You" ("Love you like you have never been") are absoloutely great. Harrison had a unique sound all his own and quite often his music surprises you. A very well done album/CD all the way through. I bought my original copy in Georgetown when it came out and I think it has a wonderful blend of romantic songs with George in good voice, a positive sound and a touch of George's sense of humor ("This Song" and "Crackerbox). This is one of George's trademark post Dark House albums, the ability to sing stand up vocals, while writing entertaining pop tunes and while enjoying himself.
on March 10, 2008
Intended, at the time, as George Harrisons comeback, 33 1/3 (his age as well as the speed of lp's) had a lot riding on it. The career of this x-Beatle had gone somewhat sour in the middle of the 1970's. Just like the other two members who hadn't broken up the Beatles, his solo career had a stellar start. Soon after however, things started going down hill. He was sued for My Sweet Lord, he spent his momentum on the consert for Bangladesh, returned to dwindling interest with gradually less inspired records, his voice went during his one attempt at touring the US, and on top of all of that and divorce, he found it harder to write, and tougher to care. By the time he released Extra Texture things were supposed to look up. Free of the Apple contract, he signed with a new record company and set up his own label, Dark Horse Records. And then he set about recording the record that would bring him back where he belonged, on top.

33 1/3 is a great piece of work. It is far more optimistic than the last offerings, and a lot more coherrent. I personally think the record is quite sweet at times, with love being a recurring theme. Some songs are supposedly leftovers from the last days of the Beatles, but is still feels like a grown up George Harrison record. The guitarwork should be mentioned, it is simply lovely. There's also humour here. 'This Song' is a wonderful kick towards everyone who ripped into him during the 'My Sweet Lord' debacle. It shows a George who might be a bit bitter, but has taken a page from Monty Python in delivering his 'revenge'.

The production is also good, perhaps flawed by todays standards, but you know, I like the production from the 1970's. It's far more timeless than the production done on many records of the 80's, and flawed sounds more human that the production done today, where records are inundated with everything but the kitchen sink and are so loud you can't make out any nuanses.

When it came out, 33 1/3 was quite well received, but people didn't care to find out. The record did better than the last two, but George did feel dispondant about it all. The record company complained, relationships were ended, and George went to the racetrack and didn't pick up a guitar much for a couple of years.

This is my favourite George Harrison record. I find it a bit hard to explain why, but it just feels so complete.

Warmly recommended!