Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: This Calder Range Volume 1
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 28, 1999
This is the first novel I've read by this author. I found them by accident. All four of the five books in this series were there, so I took the chance. I enjoyed this story so much, I read it in one day. I have come to love the stories of the "old west" mixed with romance. First I read all of Johanna Lindsey's "westerns" and then Dorothy Garlock's "westerns" and now I'll be reading this author. I think anyone who enjoys "romance novels" whether they be historical, contemporary, or westerns of any time period, will really like this novel. I'm looking forward to reading the remaining four novels that come after this one, the last one being in our time frame. I do recommend this if you like being entertained.
on January 3, 2015
I first got these books in the 80s during a time when reading in my life was to unwind from long days, and Moms busy times when we have no time for ourselvesand have read them over and over again. They tell you some of the hard times about this great country's beginnings,. I never tire of these kind of books. They are the life's blood and back bone of us all. I miss the great days when having a paper book was a joy to have in you hand.
on December 19, 1997
The land comes to belong to the Calders and this is the beginning of the saga that tells how it all happens, with the first Calder-- Benteen. He claims the Montana lands but has to fight hard to keep it. His trials are many and added to them is the fact he has a son -- Web, who wants nothing to do with ranching. He disappoints his father, and they are not close. Good Book!
on July 23, 2014
The Calder Series is the single best series ever written! I bought the entire series as soon as I got my Kindle Fire HDX as my hard copy series was showing extensive wear. So, it's off to Goodwill for the hardcopy series!

This book has kept me reading almost non-stop! I just can't put it down! Definatly recommend!
on July 28, 2003
When I first read This Calder Range I wanted to and did read some of the rest of the series as they became available. Perhaps it is now with a maturity I didn't have 15 years ago but I just can't give a book 5 stars where the author places partial responsibility for [physical abuse] on the victim. This is a poor message to be sending readers. A woman should, especially in the marital relationship where there is a promise of love, be able to argue without fear of physical violence. Ms Dailey mentions more than once about Benteen strong moral code of the West and at the same time more than once mentions the [physical abuse] with Lorna accepting partial responsibility. Apparently Lorna is held to a much higher standard than Benteen, as she is responsible for Benteen's actions. It bothers me that Lorna faults herself for a statement made under extreme duress and I might add after Benteen had callously thrown away something very precious to her. Lorna rather quickly forgives Benteen's behavior but on the other hand she has to continually prove herself to him for something said in anger and during extreme physical hardship. So, I guess I have to ask Ms Dailey is it the woman's responsibility to be constantly on guard as to mood and speech? Not a very satisfying relationship. Give me heroes and heroines that can have verbal conflicts without violence being the end result.
The other problem I have with the series is how they have become so predictable. The reader ultimately knows that one of the Calders is going to meet with an untimely death. It would be nice if one generation since the original Benteen and Lorna would have a happy ending in the tradition of the romance gendre.
on August 21, 2014
As always this book was great, could not put it down! I've read all the Calder books, so hate for it too end. Janet Dailey makes her characters come alive.You feel like you know them all ! Will really miss reading about this family !
on July 16, 2012
Have recieved your product in better than listed condition, it arrived in record time with many thanks as this is one of the "hard" to find books that is to compete my Clader series which I have looked for over the years. I must confess, I had not started the series due to the dislike of starting one only to find I don't have the whole series and once my co-worker set me on to this way of finding them, we are all going to benefit as we pass our books around. Thank you for your prompt and great service.
on June 25, 2001
I have read this series of books about the Calder family so many times that my books are torn and almost falling apart. Whenever I want a good read, I always pick up the Calder series by Janet Dailey. I have moved almost 10 times in the last 10 years and these books always go with me, no matter what! I hope everyone else enjoys reading about the Calders. I always imagine the series being made into a TV mini-series some day, wouldn't that be nice?
on May 30, 2014
I gave this book a very high rating as it is the second time that I have read this book along with others in this series by Janet Dailey It is just the type of book where my mind can wander to a very romantic time with the old west Along with hard work they build our nation to what we hope is still alive today
on June 24, 1998
This is the first book of a three book series, The Calder Series. I've read these books over and over. The Calder Range is a great place to spend a few hours. Never a dull moment!