Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 4, 2013
"Hey Oh-liv-eee-yah... lets make an ow-bum!" Yeah. Ok. This is the album that should never have been made. Where to start?

First off, I blame Ms. John. She gave Travolta a pity bump and she shoulda known better. Her voice is, as usual, pretty good and sans autotune. I expected a pretty mellowed out nostalgic tour of Xmas standards and that's what I got from her. Travolta? Oh, man...

The throes of advanced longevity are apparent here and I think he's the only person who doesn't know it. Listening to him trying to sing on this album is worse than watching baby seals get clubbed on Nat Geo HD. Seriously. The warbling and campy approach they used to mask his horrible voice is the kind of painful lounge performance that would make the hookers give up and leave the hotel lobby on a Friday night during a used car salesman convention. It's just bloody awful.

This is the musical equal to the movie with the guy with the hat and whip and all the aliens and crystal skulls - when it was over I was wishing they would make another just so the franchise wouldn't end on such a horrible note. Pun intended. Someone should have walked into the studio, turned on the light and sprayed these two with a hose to stop the bad things from happening.

Unless you simply CANNOT live without every single album Olivia Newton John has put out skip this one.
on July 17, 2013
It was ok and that was about it.

I was expecting something that was at least interesting as I really like Olivia Newton-Johns voice but it was just kind of bland and uninteresting. Since I like the stuff they had done together in Grease I was hoping to hear the same 'spark' here. I felt this was a missed opportunity to do something special.

The product came quickly and was in perfect shape.

I would rate this a 5.5 to 6.0 out of 10.
on November 13, 2012
John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John are back after a 35 year hiatus (their smash GREASE duet hit "You're The One That I Want" is the greatest pop duet of all time) with a new CD release. The CD (13 tracks) sees the duo at it again with X-mas songs and is titled 'This Christmas' : covers of well known X-mas songs (12 of them) plus a brand new original track "I Think You Might Like It", composed by John Farrar as a sequel of their smash hit. It's a great up-tempo pop track, how far it'll go time will tell. It's one of my favourite track from this entertaining CD : Olivia Newton-John's voice is great as ever and John Travolta's at much lower tone as compared to in GREASE but enjoyable nevertherless. Most of the songs are orchestral based with the duo singing quite well plus an array of big name guest artists including Barbara Streisand, Tony Bennett, James Taylor, Kenny G, Cliff Richard & Chick Corea.

Stand-outs/gems/solid tracks include "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree", a rocky track with a beautiful melody & duo vocals featuring Kenny G on horns; "Silent Night", a slow-tempo track with a wonderful violin sound, vocals & melody; "Have Yourself A Merry Christmas", orchestral track featuring Cliff Richard & "I Think You Might Like It", I certainly do like it. Good tracks include "I'll Be Home For Christmas", orchestral jazzy track featuring Barbara Streisand; "This Christmas", another orchestral jazz track featuring Chick Corea; "The Christmas Waltz", another orchestral jazz track; "Winter Wonderland", a cabaret styled song featuring Tony Bennett and the Count Basie Orchestra; "White Christmas", a orchestral jazz track; "The Christmas Song", orchestral jazz track & " Auld Lang Syne/Christmas Time Is Here (Medley)". Okay tracks are the opening track "Baby It's Cold Outside" & "Deck The Halls", a pop-ish track featuring James Taylor.

The proceeds of this CD will go to charities : Jett Travolta Foundation (children with autism & epilepsy), Cancer Foundation & Wellness Centre in Melbourne, Australia. So this is quite personal for the duo (John Travolta losing his 16 year old autistic son who had epileptic seizures & Olivia Newton-John battling breast cancer a few years ago).

Christmas is around the corner, a host of X-mas albums are out now (more on the way), the duo of John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John have re-united to hopefully warm you up this X-mas with this entertaining CD 'This Christmas', a recommended CD listening.
on December 26, 2012
I love Grease, and I'm OK with a cheesy Christmas album here and there, so I thought this would be a fun one to add to the collection just for kicks. This is just bad. I didn't want any of the tracks playing when my family was here (and they're OK with my cheesy Christmas tunes), and I haven't played any of them since the first listen. Either save your $10 or send it directly to one of the charities supported by the album sales.
I guess John Travolta' s voice isn't quite as polished as it once was but it's typical Travolta in kind of a casual, lighthearted manner of singing. Olivia is great, as always. If you have nostalgic feelings for Grease, the musical from "OMG-was-it-really that-many-years-ago" you'll probably find this charming, like I did. I usually buy an album or two each holiday season and after a while so many sound similar. I like this because it's a little bit different. My favorites are "Baby it's Cold Outside" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Both capture what I like about these two voices together.
on May 17, 2014
Purchased it as a gag gift to put in the secret Santa. Unfortunately it came with a digital copy that amazon has stuck in my cloud so despite my laugh at a relatives expense I guess John had the last laugh since I also got stuck listening to his creepy tones.

Dont get me wrong - John and Olivia were wonderful together - 40 years ago. But this album is just about making more money!
on April 13, 2013
When I first heard of this release i figured it would most likely be fairly decent. But after listening to the entire collection my reaction is it's a very poor collection. Yes, it is produced just fine. But with Olivia newton-John and John Travolta involved there will be more than enough money to put together a decent production. Where the problem is the vocal performances by Olivia and John are less than inspiring. Their vocals are short on energy and soul (although Olivia does manage to give us some decent performances it's still not to notch). The song selections themselves are nice but nothing real special. The collection overall is very much formula, what I call paint by numbers. If you really want some great Christmas music I suggest purchasing Carpenters "Christmas Portrait", now that an outstanding album.
on November 13, 2012
The novelty of the "Grease" reunion and the charities aside, this album is what Christmas is all about: light-hearted, spirited, and unadulterated FUN! And not only to hear John & Olivia together again, but to be joined by the likes of Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, and Tony Bennett! "I Think You Might Like It" will stick in your head, and you can't help but picture "Danny" and "Sandy" cozying up on a stormy night when it's "Cold Outside." Forget the seriousness of the holiday and just enjoy some pure light fun. Merry Christmas indeed!
review image review image review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2013
I mean, who really thought after all these years that Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta would record an album together? The cheesy, kitsch value is high, even if the music itself is not all that awesome. But Olivia sounds very good, and the album is laced with high-profile guest spots. Streisand guests on "I'll Be Home for Christmas," James Taylor stops in for "Deck the Halls," Chick Corea adds piano to the title tune, Tony Bennett and the Count Basie Orchestra join in for "Winter Wonderland."

In other words, it's a big party and everyone sounds like they're having fun without taking themselves too seriously. Travolta's vocals are an easy target, but if you just go with it and bask in the hammy, over-the-topness of the entire project, he fits right in. The new song, "I Think You Might Like It," is jaunty, featherweight pop fun - it almost sounds like a generic pop song John Farrar had somewhere in his bottom drawer, which he then retro-fitted as a holiday tune for this occasion.
on December 25, 2012
Is this a "Saturday Night Live " skit? Travolta speaks/sings with no discernable talent. Even my grandmother, a forgiving Christian, would hate this. Newton-John and Travolta actually listened to this and let it be released anyway?