Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: This Is Dean Martin
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

80%
20%
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$13.99+ $3.99 shipping

This Is Dean Martin gives us so many of his wonderful singles from the late 1950s. Dean sounds great; and many people would definitely say that Dino never sounded better than he does on this album. His voice is like silk and I love it. The artwork is very nice and the quality of the sound is also excellent.

"Volare (Nel Blu Di Pinto Di Blu)" is an exquisite song made all the more elegant by Dean Martin's exceptional style which oozed sophistication at every turn. Dean Martin sings this with all his heart and soul and he handles the tempo changes like a pro--which, of course, he always was! "Volare" is one of my very favorite Dean Martin songs. "The Test Of Time" is a sensitive ballad that Dean delivers like the best of the crooners ever could; and that's quite all right with me! Dean sings of a love affair he wants so badly with his sweetheart; and the strings enhance the arrangement all the more. "Don't You Remember?" features Dean squarely front and center--and that's wonderful! This tune has a catchy beat and the backup singers harmonize well--not that Dino needed backup singers, it was simply the style at the time to use a backup chorus. It's a minor mistake; but they certainly wouldn't have had Dean share the spotlight with a chorus today! We know better than that.

"Return To Me (Retorna-Me)" has a classic Italian melody; and the lush arrangement fits in perfectly with the lyrics sung by Dean! Dean handles this tune seemingly effortlessly although we know of course it really wasn't all that easy. Dean's talents carried him through very well. "Bouna Sera" is another lovely Italian tune that features Dean crooning at his very best. The brass sounds great and although the chorus sings a bit we still get good quality time with Dean Martin on this number.

"When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)" is another hit that Dean was able to take and deliver with his own personal mark on it to make it all his own. "When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)" is relentlessly upbeat and Dean Martin sings this with just the right amount of feeling to make it a complete masterpiece. "Promise Her Anything" is a louder, bouncier tune that still showcases Dean Martin's endless talent; he sings this upbeat tune about the importance of a man's showing his love for his woman with style and I love every minute of this track!

"Outta My Mind" has that late `50s/early `60s flavor to it that I enjoy so much; and listen for "Once Upon A Time (It Happened)." "Once Upon A Time (It Happened)" is another sweet ballad that Dean aces effortlessly. The CD also ends well with Dean Martin performing "The Magician." "The Magician" has Dean Martin swinging gently to make this a fine number indeed. Wow!

Dean Martin was, without a doubt, one of the best male vocalists we've ever seen; and I doubt we'll see another quite like him for some while to come. This is an excellent must-have for Dean's fans unless they have it already; and newcomers to Dean Martin are sure to enjoy this CD.
on August 3, 2010
This LP compilation (Capitol (S)T 1047, is the best grouping of Dean's recordings that I remember from my youth. My folks played this LP often, and I always enjoyed it, to the point that I purchased three copies of the LP before Colector's Choice came out with this CD. You've got "Volare", "Angel Baby, "The Look", which is "La Paloma" by any other name, and every other song is just great! My favorite singer is Frank Sinatra, but as I recently told my sister Judy, I listen to Dean a lot more than Frank. So you should too. Buy this CD. You will smile, too. Man, this is a great record!
on July 25, 2012
I grew up listening to this album with my dad crooning beautifully along! I was so excited to see it is available on CD and I can't wait to get it in my hot little hands! Each and every song is warbled in Dean's distinctive fashion and will convert anyone to Dean Martin fandom! I believe that the last 3 or 4 songs on the CD were not included on the original album, so I can't speak to those with any knowledge, but since Dean is singing them, they gotta be great tunes! I encourage everyone who's a DM fan, to purchase this CD today!
on March 3, 2015