5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the young and old!, February 9, 2006
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Hardcover)
As a first grade teacher, it is sometimes hard to find a book about the civil rights movement that is age appropriate. This book has a simple rhyme and beautiful pictures. These pictures simply show the differences before, during, and after the movement. The students in my class were speechless. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

5.0 out of 5 stars "With Many Small Triumphs They Strengthened their Cause", October 27, 2006
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Hardcover)
Many of the reviews already state this, but let me just reiterate: What a fine classroom tool you will find in "This is the Dream"! The story of the civil rights movement is summarized in simple, effective rhyme. It is perfect for all ages. The beginning pages clearly portray the injustice of "separate but equal" and Jim Crow laws. The middle of the story displays the tremendous strength of those who fought, not with guns and fists, but with walking, sitting, marching. Finally, we see the today we have taken for granted. It is a powerful witness to children of what once was and what could be again if we let predjudice take hold once more.
What I particularly enjoyed was the authors' choice to not reduce the movement to the hard work of a handful of people. History books tend to single out Rosa and Martin as the impetus and the leader of the movement. Such status is misleading for children. It was a peaceful militia of millions, a team effort. This book shows the bravery of the many nameless people who changed our country.
I believe this book would be a very worthy Caldecott winner. James Ransome is a "due" illustrator. If you haven't seen his work in other books-especially "Visiting Day" and "Under the Quilt of Night"- I'd encourage you to check it out. He is a master of depicting the subtle emotions of the human face. In "This is the Dream" his rich oil paintings brings history to life once again. And his use of photographs in his artwork is daring and innovative.
This is a suberb, important book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dream, November 24, 2007
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Hardcover)
This book is an excellent teaching source for young students to learn about Martin Luther King's dream and how it inspired a nation to change. I have used this book to teach civil rights, comparison/contrast, and voice using Six Traits.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is for Everyone!, January 1, 2006
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Hardcover)
I just finished reading "This is the Dream." It's not often a retired Air Force colonel gets misty-eyed, but your message touched me because it's definitely on target. I lived through the 50's in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; then in Florida during the 60's. Your book capsulized "where we were and how we got to where we are now," as well as a caveat about there's always room for improvement.

Congratulations to the authors and illustrator. I believe they've hit a grand slam!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dream Come True, January 21, 2006
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Hardcover)
This Is The dream, by Diane Shore and Jessica Alexander is a history packed book, with an opening statement by Martin Luther King, Jr. that sets the tone for the lesson to come in history.

"White Only", "Colored Waiting Room", these are the signs that you see in the beginning of this book. It starts with a time when we as a nation were fighting for the basics of equality - the Civil Rights Era, and takes you straight through to today's society where the signs that you see are no longer racially motivated.

This Is The Dream provides a timeline marking the stages that this nation went through to make civil rights a reality. Reading the text and looking at the pictures, made the struggle seem just a little more tangible for me as an adult, so I can imagine the impact that it will have on the mind of a child. Kids of all ages can and should read this book.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the phenomenal illustrations by James Ransome. His pictures are most certainly worth a thousand words.

This is The Dream, should be a requirement for all schools.

Reviewed By: Eleanor S. Shields, Black Butterfly Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dream Come True, February 7, 2006
Having grown up during the civil rights era, I find this book has great teaching potential for the non-violent movement. Today so many children see the violence on TV and in real life and this book depicts the historical highlights of the era. James Ransome's illustrations are a complement to the clever rhymed verse and his collage technique on the front and back covers and the inside covers tells the story in pictures. I think the sequence of the book portrays the main events of the era that ultimately changed the way of our nation. This is a book for everyone. The rhymes convey the message in a concise manner which the youngest reader can understand. I think this book should be in every school library.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHEN A NATION FOLLOWS A DREAM...., May 19, 2014
L. OWENS (GLADEWATER, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Hardcover)
This is a great little book that big story about our American history. The dust had barely settled from the marches nor had the ink dried on the documents that allow black children like Ruby Bridges to attend all-whites schools. The end of segregation was ONLY a dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, February 27, 2014
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Paperback)
It really gives you an inside (with pictures) about what life was like for the African Americans.With immaculate pictures, this is a perfect book to read to a younger class (1st, 2nd).

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Book, January 25, 2014
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Paperback)
This book is beautifully written in rhyme with gorgeous yet simple illustrations. As a school librarian, I found that it totally engaged my 1st and 2nd grade students. King's "I Have a Dream" speech may be fairly abstract to young students, but this illustrated poem makes its meaning crystal clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, November 28, 2012
This review is from: This Is the Dream (Paperback)
This is great book to teach children about the civil rights movement and social justice issues. We often refer to it as a framework for other issues of discrimination and while discussing current events.

This Is the Dream
This Is the Dream by Diane ZuHone Shore (Paperback - December 22, 2009)
$7.99 $7.19