Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

95%
Format: HardcoverChange

on December 28, 2005
The illustrator, M.Sasek, lives up to his reputation with wonderfully illustrated images of Ireland both in the city and the countryside. (Be wary of amazon's packaging. I ordered a new book and part of the cover was dog eared)
on February 17, 2009
This is a great "vintage" looking book inside and out. My daughter (10) liked the content and I think it told her everything she expected to learn about Ireland and more. It is not too much information. I thought maybe the illustrations would be too dull, but they kept her interest. We also bought This is Rome. The books are good for older children because they are not too grown up and not too childish.
on May 6, 2007
Great book for my grandchildren for St. Pat's Day. Well written, good pics and terrific information about Ireland.
on May 23, 2011
sasek's books are all visually lovely, no doubt about it, however they are also incredibly informative, which i quite appreciate. this book is littered with amazing images and interesting facts. i would definitely say this entry has some of the more whimsical and delightful images present in sasek's books. the endpapers are smile-inducing.

and as with all the updated printings of sasek's books, there is a welcome list of "this is the country...today!" at the end of the book with changes listed since the original printing. it is great to see both the way the country WAS as well as the present day differences.

i highly recommend this book if you are interested in either ireland, or simply in wonderful illustration.
on May 13, 2011
Last summer I enjoyed a trip to Ireland with a my sons and 2 of oldest son's children a boy and girl ages 3 and 6 years. It was a whirllwind trip and the only
fixed plans for sure, were our stays set up by my daughter in law via the net, Every aspect of our trip to Ireland was a pleasant surprize and a wonderful memory. MY parents were natives of this beutiful land. When a friend showed me a copy of this book, I knew I had to gift the children. So many of the spots represented in the book's pages were indeed places we had roamed. The water color renditions were simple and sweet.
Sincerely,
Maureen Braun
on February 3, 2009
I first saw a Sasek book while visiting London, England. After I got home I looked him up on Amazon and saw there were a host of Sasek books for various countries. This is a great one in the series. This is great for kids and adults who have visited countries or are going to visit them or just to have in your library. Highly recommended.
on February 15, 2008
I am a huge fan of Sasek so I like every book he's wrote and illsutrated. This one abut Ireland is nice and funny and "greener".
As I think that Sasek is one of the best children illustrator I suggest this one and even the other ones. My daughter loves it and she learns many informations reading it.
on December 29, 2012
A Christmas gift for our 9 year old grandson, and he loves reading this series, especially since his Grandparents were recently on vacation in Ireland, and we could point out places we visited.
on August 4, 2010
My husband and I are preparing to take our 16-month old to Ireland, and she has looked at the photos in our guidebook and talks about "I-Land" incessantly. We previously purchased This is Paris and This is London, both of which she loves and asks for by name. I was so excited to come across This is Ireland. Unlike This is Paris, Ireland is a bit too wordy for a toddler, so I just narrate rather than reading each word (I usually narrate London, as well), but she loves the illustrations and is so interested in the subject matter. I love these books- it's great to expose kids to different places from an early age!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2015
This is a great book series and such a special way to share your favorite places with children.

This is the third book in the series I have purchased: This is San Francisco, This is Paris, and This is Ireland.

All filled with beautiful classic illustrations and facts about the areas, some even I didn't know! This would make the perfect gift! I highlighly recommend these books!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse