5.0 out of 5 stars Abbygail age 6 review
Received as a review book at the PNBA Bookseller convention Tacoma WA.

Reviewer: Abbygail aged 6
and her Grammy, aged old

Abbygail says: My (first grade) science teacher read "I Want My Hat Back" and I liked it. I read "This Is Not My Hat" by myself with Grammy's help.

The words were easy or hard to read. I sounded-out the hard...
Published on October 16, 2012 by Darilee Bednar

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
Published 16 months ago by Solaris Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Abbygail age 6 review, October 16, 2012
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Received as a review book at the PNBA Bookseller convention Tacoma WA.

Reviewer: Abbygail aged 6
and her Grammy, aged old

The words were easy or hard to read. I sounded-out the hard words and now they are easy.

I liked the story and I liked the big fish. The bubbles create movement.

The little fish was bad and the big fish was just a big fish. You don't steal from a big fish.

Grammy says: Jon was kind enough to speak at the bookseller convention and explain his thought process in creating this book. I was going to take notes but I was laughing too hard.

I found the colors muted - mostly in browns, greens, greys, and black. The drawings were simple. The language was limited and the story line very straight forward. The dialog is all little fish comments. The big fish actually shows all the emotions Jon Klassen proves himself an expert at editing both language and content. In other words, Jon is a genius.

My first grade Abbygail has taken to reading and easily read most of little fish comments. The words she had problems with like "probably" and "won't" were repeated over and over and she quickly recognized them. This is a quick read even for a noobie reader and at first she wanted to race through the story until she noticed the EYE... and then later the bubbles which she explained to me shows movement. "See grammy big fish isn't moving because bubbles go up... and now big fish is moving."

Be prepared to read this book over and over. There is a moral. The ending is open for discussion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another dark hat tale..., January 16, 2013
Psyche (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
This Is Not My Hat is a companion piece to Jon Klassen's earlier I Want My Hat Back, only it takes place underwater instead of in a forest; and the story is told from the point of view of the thief and not the, er, victim. The end result, however, is pretty much the same. If you don't like I Want My Hat Back because of the conclusion, you will not like This Is Not My Hat, either. It helps to have a sense of humor. It helps even more if your humor has dark tendencies.

The artwork for This is Not My Hat is every bit as wickedly delightful as the earlier book's, with a bit more of a build-up in the tension and a seek-and-find on one of the two-page spreads.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic little book, January 11, 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
A morality tale with humor and wonderful art. Teach your children that just because you can get away with something doesn't mean it's right. Well told and beautiful pages make this a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would you let your child watch a "G" rated movie?, March 7, 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
If so, you would probably be okay with them reading this book. I'm a very picky mom when it comes to reading to my children. There are many books that I request a hold on, check out, read at home first, and send back to the library without reading to them. But to say that this book is not a good choice for children is just silly. The premise is that one fish steals a hat from another fish, and the fish who is the rightful owner goes to retrieve it. The ending is left open - I actually assumed the smaller fish was probably okay, just maybe in a daze or still hiding, but apparently a lot of parents thought the smaller fish had been eaten or killed. If you are worried that reading a story about a stolen hat might corrupt your child, my suggestion is to simply read it with your child, and explain to him or her why we shouldn't steal from others. Every child is undoubtedly going to encounter stealing at some point, so why not introduce the subject while you are present, and able to help your child to make the right conclusions? Research has shown that this type of parenting is far more effective in helping children to form a good worldview than simply sheltering them from every known danger, explicit or implicit.

Overall, our whole family found this book charming, clever, and highly entertaining. We can certainly see why it won the Caldecott Award for 2013.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, August 27, 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
I look for books with award seals and thought I was getting something great with this book. Until I read it. While it is a nice book and the pictures are fair, it is very short and the story line is about a small fish who steals a hat that belongs to a bigger fish. The little fish assumes the big fish won't know it's him, and hides in tall grass. Much is inferred in the pictures, which younger children don't/can't get, as there are few words. The big fish immediately discovers it is the little fish who has taken his hat and finds him in the tall grass. There is a page showing just the tall grass, where both the big fish and the little fish are supposedly facing off, though it doesn't show anything but tall grass. Then the book ends with the big fish leaving the tall grass with the hat back on and we never see or hear from the little fish again. Did the little fish get beaten up? Was he eaten by the larger fish? Did the fish to come to an arrangement or work out their differences through positive conflict resolution? Did the little fish take any responsibility for his thievery and apologize? We'll never know. And while I got this book for preschoolers, it is a bit over their heads to understand the nuances of the story, as they are rather vague. When I am done reading I am unsure is this is a parable for not stealing, or if it is a lesson in how not to mess with someone bigger than you, or if there is supposed to be any lesson at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing end together with theme of taking something that is not yours makes it different and recommended, December 26, 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
"This is Not My Hat" by Jon Klassen is an unusual story for children about the hat, big and small fishes, innovative book from imaginative writer for children.

The story takes place in the bottom of the sea where small fish will steal a hat from a large one. Being overconfident that large fish won't notice what happened, young reader will see that big fish is following small one across the seaweed bushes.
On the last few pages small fish will be gone and, while large fish will be again wearing the hat, what happened to small one is left for each child to speculate...

Although "This is Not My Hat" has simple story, its unusual and intriguing end together with its theme of taking something that is not yours makes it different from the most books written for children.
And due to these reasons, this book allows parents to read it with their children and from an early age instill the right value that's not good to take other people's things, no matter how much they seem small or their absence unnoticeable for the owner - otherwise some consequences will certainly happen.
It's great that the author avoided showing any violent scenes; instead he left to the imagination of parents and children to speculate what happened to the little naughty fish.

Therefore, this educational, beautifully written and nicely illustrated story can be recommended to every young reader - except that it will entertain children, it will enable them to learn an important life lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favorite!, June 12, 2014
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Our 4 month old baby boy already LOVES to be read to. We have many of the classics, but are trying to broaden our collection with some great new books out there. This book is so unique, hilarious, and completely quirky. We really love the books that, like this one, rely heavily on the illustrations to help tell the story. And, the story and storytelling is like no other book in our collection.
I disagree that this book is inappropriately themed for children. I don't think my child is going to become a kleptomaniac because of the little fishy in the book that steals a hat. Or violent because the big fishy maybe ate the little fishy. I think our kids are smarter than that... They can find the humor and the lessons about taking things that do not belong to you. Give our kids a little more credit- they can draw conclusions from a variety of scenarios. Not everything needs to be (or should be) "fluffy." While children ARE more literal than most adults, I think books like this help grow their imaginations and sense of humor.
Overall, a fun, quirky (and perhaps sophisticated) children's book! This one is in our top 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original!, January 31, 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Haha, if you have a dark sense of humor like me, you will LOVE this book.
I loved the original (I want my hat back), and when I heard that Jon Klassen had written a sequel, I squealed and ordered one from Amazon as soon as I could. Despite the playful demeanor and giant block letters, this book is not a children's book (although like any classic, all age levels will mostly like get a great deal of entertainment from it). The dark theme centers around stealing, revenge, and implied murder all with a childlike innocence. The illustrations have a merit all on its own, enough for me to frantically looking around to see if I can buy a signed print of the giant fish with the squinty eyes.
It is beautifully written. The language is laconic but at the same time descriptive. The combination of illustration and text conveys so much meaning it makes Hemmingway look like Joyce.
I can't wait to have kids just so I can read this to them. I imagine they will innocently love the book. But then, one day, they will grow up, and it will hit them like a ton of bricks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rash of millinery theft continues, film at 11, March 3, 2014
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Jon Klassen, This Is Not My Hat (Candlewick, 2012)

Klassen follows up his tremendous smash I Want My Hat Back with this second hat-related tale, in which a sneaky little fish has swiped a hat from a much bigger fish and tries to get away with it by fleeing into a forest of seaweed. The results are expected. This one isn't nearly as fun as its predecessor, but it does have the same offbeat humor, even is that feels forced now and again; if you loved the first (and you should), check this one out of the library and give it a go before deciding to add it to your permanent collection. ***

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm I the only one who finds this twisted?, May 13, 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Like other reviewers, I really wish that I would've read the book first and all the reviews first. However, I based my purchase upon the award given. Darn. I found the book to be disturbing and my poor kid looked kind of traumatized at the end. I definitely think it depends upon your audience. One of my sons does not understand humor. Do not purchase this book for a kid who doesn't understand subtle humor and social situations - like kids on the spectrum. Not good.

This Is Not My Hat
This Is Not My Hat by J. Klassen (Hardcover - October 9, 2012)
$15.99 $10.15