This Is War
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$4.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: MP3 MusicVerified Purchase
How many times do you hear a "great" song on the radio and buy the whole album only to be disappointed to find that "great" song surrounded by a bunch of mediocre at best productions? Don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question. The first time I heard Kings and Queens I was hoping that the rest of the album would follow the tradition of A Beautiful Lie and I am definitely not disappointed. In my opinion This is War takes A Beautiful Lie and improves on it in every aspect. Superb.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
With the release of their third album, This is War, 30 Seconds to Mars has once and for all shirked their reputation as an "angst" band. It could instead be argued that, while the wounds of their battle with Virgin Records are evident in their latest release, they instead offer themselves as healthy role models for listeners, channeling their frustration and suffering into songs of hope, optimism, and strength.

"I fell apart but I got back up again," Jared Leto croons in "Alibi", first in a soothing tone evocative of a lullaby, later soaring to a cry that is both anguished and exultant. This sentiment of determination and healing echoes throughout the album.

It's rare for me to like an album the first time I hear it. I've always found comfort in familiarity; usually new songs have to "grow" on me. But it was love at first listen for This is War. It's the kind of music you can listen to with your eyes closed and see the sun rise; the kind of music you blast with the car's windows rolled down; the kind you sing along to with the enthusiasm of a fevered tent-revival disciple. This album gives you chills from its first notes.

As if it were even possible to do so, following the release of their platinum-selling second album, A Beautiful Lie, the talented men of 30 Seconds to Mars have continued to improve their musical aptitude, producing a more polished and innovative album than the previous two. (Note that I do NOT mean more "mainstream" - despite their producer Flood's experience with renowned bands such as U2, Depeche Mode, and The Smashing Pumpkins, they continue to admirably deviate from the flow of "pop" music.) One example of their musical pioneering would be the choral accompaniments to many of the songs: the uplifting chants heard in the background of such songs as the title track (also featured in the game Dragon Age: Origins), "Night of the Hunter", and "Hurricane" are actually the voices of 30 Seconds to Mars' fans, recorded earlier this year in a "digital summit" (just one of many ways the band incorporates its "army" into the music). These full-bodied compositions will undoubtedly play well in the acoustics of a large venue.

This Is War also contains more of the smoky, sexy, whispered vocals that particularly send Leto's admirers swooning. Because of this, the album will likely perform well in an intimate, acoustic setting. Regardless of the site, This Is War seems destined for live performance greatness.

Overall, 30 Seconds to Mars has used their strife to demonstrate unparalleled poise and grace, and the result is an album with more depth and intensity than I've experienced in a long time.

Darcie Roy
Provehito In Altum
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
I don't understand the negative response to the CD on this site. I understand that taste in music is a matter of preference, but I think it's an absolutely fantastic album. To another review, you asked why the whispering and choral vocals? The album is called This Is War. If that doesn't have an epic connotation, I don't know what does, and the group vocals are one of the most inspiring and moving contributions to a song you can add. The whispering has a similar feel. I looked on iTunes to see if the response to the album was the same, and there are currently 200 ratings, 169 of which are 5 stars, 18 are 4 stars, and only 13 are 3 stars or below. To each his own, but I would emphatically recommend that anyone on the fence about this album go ahead and buy it. It's well worth the money.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: MP3 Music
Being a person of 1960's vintage, it takes a bit to get me excited about new music.

But, this album being offered upon it's release for $[...] shows why Amazon does this - to introduce new music to new fans.

When I first saw the description, I almost didn't go to the "special deals" page. When I did, I was very impressed by the 30 second teasers, so I downloaded it at the $[...] special price.

Oh wow, did I get my money's worth. I am somewhat struck by what seems to me to be that it is a "concept" album - somewhat akin to Pink Floyd's several albums - not that some hit-worthy singles might not arise from this album. But it so "new" in its sound and yet pleasing to the ears - I cannot say enough about it.

I highly recommend this album and am planning on it as a stocking stuffer for my 11 year-old grandson as well.

Silverfox229
Format: Audio CD
After an almost four and half year wait and a lengthy legal battle, 30 Seconds to Mars have finally released their third full-length album, "This Is War".

One thing is certain; 30STM have seemingly used every moment of those four and a half years to create this album. It's epic. It's full of anthems. It's just...BIG. It's clear that the band intended "This Is War" to be their magnum opus, their statement.

But does the album actually, you know, work?

Well, yes and no.

30 Seconds To Mars certainly accomplished their goal of making an epic. Song after song leaps out of the speakers and into the skies. There are soaring melodies, booming drums, pulsing synths, walls of guitars and armies of voices.

But that's also the album's main problem.

The same elements are used on essentially every song. The sound is exciting at first but quickly grows repetitive. A few epic tracks sprinkled throughout an album add fire and greatness, but if an album is made up of epic track after epic track after epic track it grows monotonous. That's exactly what happens here.

And, to be honest, it's extremely frustrating because MANY of the songs here are excellent. It's the presentation that is the problem, not the songs themselves. 'Night of the Hunter' is sexy and driving. 'Stranger In A Strange Land' is extremely musically interesting. 'Kings and Queens', 'Vox Populi', 'Hurricane', 'Alibi'...there's just a lot of strong material here. Sure there are a few duds, but for the most part the songs easily hold up. There's no denying Leto can effortlessly pump out songs that are just flat-out catchy. A lot of tracks here will have listeners reaching for the repeat button. Also, Leto's still got a great voice. He can croon, he can scream, he can belt it out with crystal clarity. Whether or not YOU believe what he's singing, you can tell HE sure believes it.

But in the end the production and presention keep the album from being truly great. It's all just too overblown and calculated. There's no spontaneity here. The songs never get a chance to breathe. The songs didn't need choirs, they didn't need six minute run times, they didn't need to follow essentially the same forumla throughout the length of the album. All they needed was to be allowed to exist on their own instead of processed within an inch of their life. The band was so busy consciously trying to create an "EPIC" that they forgot to make a living, breathing album. All the parts are there, but "This Is War" has no soul. At its center there is only a pumping piston, not a beating heart.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
Firstly, let me say that I wasn't a fan of 30 Seconds to Mars until I heard this CD. Ordinarily, I like Progressive Metal (typically European), and only rarely do I make forays into other genres. I've always found 30 Seconds to Mars to be a bit mundane and overly reliant on "screamo-style" vocals, and their song writing has never especially appealed to me.

However, I always saw a certain spark of potential in the band and whenever This is War came out I downloaded it without any high expectations; what a monumental and rewarding surprise it was when I found out how much the band had refined its sound and matured its songwriting. I'm sure that in part it has something to do with their new, high-profile producer, but practically every band has a producer to help them out so I don't really think it takes credit away from them.

I think the biggest change is that Jared's singing has not only improved in skill but also in method. His voice is dynamic and emotional, and he has ceased to rely on throaty screams to fill in spaces between the music. Anytime there is a screamo element of that sort it is surgically placed and serves the song instead of being there for no apparent reason.

The songs on the album are of an extremely high and consistent quality. Every song is enjoyable and integral to the album--there are no "fillers" that beg to be skipped. The songs have a vast, epic quality to them that makes them unusually powerful compared to a lot of other "modern" rock bands. Coheed and Cambria is the only other popular American band who delivers this kind of sweeping, larger-than-life sound. Also, as a fan of Progressive and Symphonic metal, I really appreciate the huge choruses found on This is War.

I've read of people complaining about the children singing in the choruses, or that the music is too light or catchy, but this seems to bother only the people who require their music to be stagnantly heavy and unmelodic. Most rock or metal bands tend to concentrate on a heavier sound in their infancy, but inevitably they discover that sonic riffing isn't necessarily required to produce powerful music.

The album has quickly risen to my list of favorites. I would encourage anyone to give it a try since it has a timeless, genre-spanning quality that should appeal to all sorts of music lovers.

I just hope their next album is as good, or better.

(I hope they release a version of the album that still has Kanye West appearing on the song "Hurricane." I'm not a fan of West's, really, but he adds an interesting vibe to that song and I'm aware of it every time I listen to the version without him.)
on January 27, 2011
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
The first song I heard off this record was "Closer to the Edge". I was sort of aware 30 Seconds to Mars existed, but I had never listened to them. Then there was this weird period of time, last summer, where I kept hearing about 30 Seconds to Mars in conversations with people. I didn't want to listen because I knew Jared Leto was in the band, and I didn't like bands with actors in them. Also I'd seen pictures of them with eyeliner, and I "didn't like eyeliner bands".

A weird series of events had me checking out "Closer to the Edge" on youtube one day early last September, and I was seriously offended by the pink mohawk (frontman Leto is wearing his hair in a pink mohawk for most of the video). I thought it was "trying too hard" (If you're a die hard 30STM fan, bear with me, this is a positive review.)

I'd never watched a video I hated so many times, however. And at some point I started to appreciate the editing of the video for "Closer to the Edge". I think I liked the way the video was edited before I liked the song. And then I liked the song. And then I LOVED the song. (I said this was a conversion, right?) And then I went looking for more 30 Seconds to Mars material, because, well, "Closer to the Edge" had to be a fluke, right?

But I loved every song I heard. So I bought "This is War", and holy jesus crickets, what a great record. I'm just going to stop here because I hate to describe music in writing. Let's just say "This is War" is: Awesome. Awesome songs. Awesome arrangements. Awesome performances. Awesome lyrics.

And then I had to see 30STM live, to find out if "This Is War" was just a great recording, or if 30 Seconds to Mars were really a great band.

They're REALLY a great band. I've now seen them live three times in as many months, and I could probably see them play every month and not get tired of seeing them live. They give 200% during their live shows. And the fans are - wonderful. Fun people to share a show with, for sure.

Music is subjective; not everyone is going to like everything. But this band is the real deal, so if you've been abstaining (as I was) because of "image": screw that. Take another listen, and take another look. 30STM is now one of my all time favorite bands.
on November 2, 2010
Format: Audio CD
This new album by 30STM recognizes the bands abilities to change genres and still sound amazing. Every Song on this album are very unique and compliments to Jared Leto for a great vocal performance (definitley worth a Grammy).
1. Escape: 9/10- This is a great opener which at the end is extremely powerful.
2. Night of the Hunter: 9/10- At the beginning of the albums release this was my favorite song on the album but one other song caught my ear. Very intesne drums and has a very progressive rock edge to it. Creepy lyrics but always a great listen.
3. Kings & Queens: 9/10- This is the lead off single from this album and it deserves it because its powerful and his vocals soar throughout the song. The music video is also pretty good for this song, you may want to check it out.
4. This is War: 9/10- For a little while this was my favorite song on the album because I loved the powerful chorus. Everything about this song is great.
5. 100 Suns: 3/10- After awhile I get annoyed by this song because it possesses no real enthusiasim and no real emotion which makes the song kind of boring. I guess you could say the lyrics work well with the rest of the album.
6. Hurricane: 8/10- At first I thought I was going to hate it because it had Kanye West on it but I take it all back because the version with Kanye West is so much better than the one that is placed ont he album. I love the vocals and synths and thats the reason why I keep listening.
7. Closer to the Edge: 10/10- Best song on the album hands down. I love the alternative feel and then the pop and progressive feel kicking in. The vocals are just amazing and inspirational. The music video for this song it really good too. Make this one a number one hit.
8. Vox Populi: 9/10- I love the kid chorus in the background of the song. The song is very powerful and I love how great the drummer is in this song.
9. Search and Destroy: 5/10- I would have to say that this is the weakest full length song on the album. It just dosen't catach my attention as much. I'm not saying its a bad song but its one of those I skip over when I'm listening to the entire album.
10. Alibi: 10/10- Great song, one of the best ballads I've ever listened to. This is one to download off of Itunes If your not going to buy the entire album.
11. Stranger in a Strange Land: 9/10- A very electronic song but one of the best songs on the album. I just love the opening, I get overjoyed by that cool electro Rock beat.
12. L490: 7/10- A good song, not sure of its purpose on the album but a very good insturmental. Their is some monks in the background I'm guessing that symbolizes something.
Well, Their you have it a complete overview of the album. I saw that their wasn't one so I made one. This is one for your CD collection
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2011
Format: MP3 Music
I think out of all the bands and artists I listen to, there's been very few bands that one can say really "touch" it's audience in more ways than one. I have been a long time 30 STM fan and as much faith as I've always had in them, I never thought they'd be able to deliver an album that packed as much of a punch as their predecessors but their deliverance of this album "This Is War" most definitely proves me wrong. I can understand why there might not be as many people on board with my opinion or the other positive congratulatory opinions of this record, but truth be told and let it be known, this album is one for the books. Every track on this album takes it's listener through a story of a man's emotions, there are admittedly tracks that will make you sad, happy, have mixed emotions and anything in between. This is the beauty of this CD. Put that in conjunction with the vast array of auditory and (imaginative) visual stimulatory beauty it produces, you've got yourself a fine piece of art to add to your collection. Another great thing I like about this CD is how Leto brings in sounds strikingly similar to that of the American composer/production group known as Tomandandy, particularly in the track, "Stranger in a Strange Land". If any of you are fans of the latest Resident Evil: Afterlife OST, then you'll known exactly what I'm talking about. In the end though, this album is without question a masterpiece.
on January 26, 2011
Format: Audio CD
If you're already a listener of 30STM, then you know that this album is wicked!! If you've never heard of them or listened to them before, then crawl out from underneath that rock you've been living under, and BUY THIS ALBUM!! This deluxe edition has some bonus tracks (including a cover of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and Kanye West's Stronger) and also has a bonus DVD that is amazing. The songs are great to listen to - and if they can take a super poppy song like Bad Romance and create a completely different spin on it (a spin that is even better than the original if you ask me) and on the same record create a song like Stranger in a Strange Land, then that's alright with me. Believe me, buy this, download it, whatever you need to do, LISTEN TO IT!! I promise you won't be disappointed.