5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back David Cook
Published on June 28, 2011 by spanish

3.0 out of 5 stars Miss the American Idol David Cook
First - big Cook fan. Second - another good album. My issue with and his last, is that they seem so over-produced. David has such an awesome voice. Seems like it is too often buried in overdubs and drown in instrumentation. Wish we could get a David raw, some acoustic variety. Think Bryan Adams Bare Bones (great album). Somewhere between acoustic and where the last couple...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Eric Cartman

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back David Cook, June 28, 2011
This review is from: This Loud Morning (Audio CD)
The wonderful David Cook is back with an amazing cd that captures the spirit that he posesses to tell a story with his music. The essence of his album is the beautiful Circadian which is the first track of the album and ends with the wonderful Rapid Eye Movement, being the catalyst of the entire dream series. I am in love with every single track on this album. including the 2 bonus tracks. Cook's voice gets better and better with time and possesses a wonderful falsetto.

Each track in between the sandwich is like opening a plethora of brightly coloured gems. I cannot choose a favourite. Each day I change my mind and choose another. I cannot explain how this album has made me feel the movements of each track. In the soft flowing songs like Fade Into Me, (swoonworthy) and Goodbye to the Girl, the staccato movements of the fabulous Time Marches On, the light and the dark, and then the big choruses of Paper Heart and We Believe. Finally there is the lid flickering of Rapid Eye Movement where my lids actually do start flickering in time to the music. This is an amazing concept Cook has planned.

You must experience this wonderful album first hand. Congratulations to Cook and the Anthemics.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Loud Morning gets it right (and does me in), June 28, 2011
Rebecca G "MagicalBeck :) also beckylink" (was LA CA, now back to hometown B'ham AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Loud Morning (Audio CD)
I'm also known as "magicalbeck". :)
Greetings to any readers who happen on this. I need to preface my review with this information: I have two and a half decades of experience as a singer, pianist, classical musician, rock musician, vocal coach, musical director/arranger/writer, and as a soprano lead actress in musical theater. (not all at the same time!) I don't give you my resume because I hold myself or my opinion in higher esteem than any music lover. We are all in this together, searching for art that moves us. I just wanted to let you know that my review is from that perspective, to perhaps shine a slightly different light on Cook's most unusual gift. (I review the songs so skip down to them if you like. I realize this is long!)
David is a tenor, but possessor of a stunning instrument that is actually rather rare in rock/pop music. In my opinion he is a dramatic tenor which is a very large voice with a great deal of ring and resonance, that can be pushed to dramatic climaxes more easily than the usual light leggiero voices or warm, bright lyric tenors. Cook's voice has a very dark, rich, beautiful color compared to other tenors. Yet unlike some dramatic tenors, it doesn't sound forced or wobbly; in fact the vibrato is spinning and perfectly free, even while he often adds the rasp. There is nobody I have ever heard do this better. He basically sings perfectly clearly, and raspy, simultaneously! Who does this?!! I know of no one.

If you are musically inclined to records you can pontificate or enjoy small talk over while they are playing in the background, this is perhaps not the one for you. Season 7's Idol champ absolutely cries out for your undivided attention. He told us he was versatile vocally in his first televised audition, and he meant it. Cook trips lightly from a beautiful and more certain lower register into that dark and velvety, firm middle voice upwards to the full-throated tenor glory notes, and at times into a gorgeous falsetto, all seamlessly.
It is often unabashedly bombastic, but for me, when an artist with this much talent is that passionate about what they are saying, I find them hard to ignore! And trust me, if any of us had a voice this resonant and powerful, we'd use it accordingly.There are tender moments throughout, but this is a big record from a guy with a big message and a big Voice. He's a very declaratory artist. (But town criers ought to be declaring things! hehee) Turn it up!

This Loud Morning is a complex, multi-layered endeavor replete with beautiful details, from lush orchestration, vocal and instrumental countermelodies and musical tie-ins, to dashes of exotic, unusual instruments such as theremin, glockenspiel, and children's chorus, thanks to Matt Serletic's masterful strokes. It must be listened to several times before any fair judgment can be made. (Actually, every artist deserves this courtesy but few receive it, sadly.) The musicians are highly skilled including Serletic himself who leaves no stone unturned in his production. I call him the George Martin (legendary Beatles producer) of today. This was an incredible artist/producer marriage and I hope he and Cook work together again. David's band-mates Neal "the doctor" Tiemann and Andy Skib are standouts, as well as the ever energetic young drummer, Kyle Peek, who is an incredible musician. Tiemann's work is beautiful, tasteful and quite intricate. Cook's bass player Monty Anderson adds a clear and melodic bass line, a firm foundation that I found easy to follow.

There is a theme of loss on TLM, and of a need to escape from that loss, but there is no lack of hope and no dirge. In fact, a majority of the songs find me air-conducting wildly, infused with energy! Most who know of David Cook, also know that he lost his brother and won a huge, life changing singing competition within about a year of each other: from the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows. This record reflects that as David bares his heart and soul, yet never really mentions the death per se. It is more in the context of lost love but one can't help but think that the profound loss of a brother had to find its way here. The result is an incredibly personal and at times heart-wrenching experience. But ever hopeful. And always powerful.
Which leads me to the songs. The opening track is an absolute show/heart stopper called
(1) Circadian, which grabs your attention immediately with glockenspiel and toy piano, of all things, and an undeniable energy, a cog turning, the sense of a beginning of a musical journey, yet a crisis. A perfect opener. I love the cries for help. Who cannot relate to the chorus "mayday, somebody save me!"?? This song makes me weep at times it is so powerful. I felt like falling to the floor the first time I heard it played really loudly. It is one of the best songs I have heard in a very long time, about the escape into sleep which is his only respite from the pain and difficulty of this world. Again, who cannot relate to that? It sets up the rest of the record. It is so raw, so haunting, especially with the children's choir innocently echoing his fervent callout, "mayday somebody save me" at the end. Just incredible. Their sweet voices are dreamlike.
(2) Right Here, With You is a joyous, affirming love song. Very alive. (It could even be a wedding song for the right couple.) He could be dreaming of better days when he and his love were happily together. It makes my top five list, but that took hearing it a few times. It has a stunning bridge where David soars higher and higher into falsetto then Neil's solo takes off on the same note. The whole thing brings to my mind an image of a beautiful, clear brook in Colorado dancing along happily over pebbles. or something like that. !!!
(3) We Believe is a glorious anthem that should be utilized by my favorite hockey team. (hmmm..who to contact in the Ducks' organization..but I digress!) There are spots where I could imagine Steve Perry singing this in his glory days. It's no surprise that I mention him because I believe that Cook is the best rock tenor since Perry. They both sing with every fiber of their being but David has an edge, actually, because of the freedom, dark tone, and the lower/middle voice. Their high notes are equally glorious but different. We Believe makes me want to believe. Another great bridge at work here, with a strange instrument, the theremin, bringing a latter 60s Beatles sound. The lyrics are hopeful, the melody uplifting but there is an undercurrent of pain that birthed them.
(4) Fade Into Me is a lilting love song about the oneness that can only exist in a love relationship. It's in 6/8 time, or waltz time so it gives it a soft feel, and a respite from the huge choruses although David holds nothing back. He sings it beautifully; he soars. At the end there is an interesting countermelody that seems to be a musical reference but I am not certain yet whether it is from another song or just a nice synth string melody. But I have a feeling it is a motif of some sort since Serletic does this quite often. This is where his classical background makes all the difference. (He is brilliant, as is Cook, obviously.)
(5) Hard To Believe is one of the best songs on the record, a virtual masterpiece. It starts like a simple little ditty, almost nursery-rhyme-like, then just builds and builds to a breathtaking climax of overlapping countermelodies that are goose bump worthy every time. It is perfect from beginning to end; stunning. The lyrics belie the simple tune at the beginning, for they touch deeply on a loved one losing faith, and present the singer in first person as the supporter. "I'm right here, I'm right here..." It's powerful. She, alas, is unsure. He holds a crazy high Bb. Also in my top five best.
(6) Take Me As I Am seemed too simplistic and repetitive to me at first, lyrically. But I think I get it now. It's another universal theme that everybody can relate to. Who on this earth doesn't want to be loved "as is??" He belts desperately "take me as I am, take me as I am." He repeats it almost like it's a chant. (But not for monks.) It's in a "fat" key, Eb major, which adds to the weight of his plea, which is basically let's try one more time to make this thing work.
(7) in Time Marches On he is trying to come to terms with the loss of the relationship. It is ambiguous in its message: "it was the last thing I needed, all I needed." I love the chord changes and use of dissonance (flat 6) in the bass line. Very cool changes. "Time marches on without you" could apply to a lost love or also someone lost due to death. It is a heavy message, but the song, again, is not a dirge. The signature distorted guitar chords strummed evenly on the divided beats keep it rocking on. Or marching on, as it were.
(8) the first single, The Last Goodbye, is another ambiguous track because the melody is upbeat yet the lyrics are about goodbye which is never easy. I have called it crisp and concise and a friend (hi Pandora) likened it to opening a bottle of champagne. It's fizzy! It is radio ready! It's exactly 3 minutes long! But seriously, it is an excellent song. I love the dichotomy. At this point he is doing better about the breakup. The song is in D major, a bright and cheery key, and although it is the last goodbye, he is kind of okay with letting her go.
(9) in Paper Heart his (our) emotions have arisen again. Grief comes in waves. I love the use of syncopation here (accents on the upbeat or weak beat rather than the downbeat), because it is slightly unsettling and matches the lyrics. It's another catchy earworm like The Last Goodbye, but more pain sneaks out. It's more vulnerable. I also love the image of a paper heart in the rain and how fragile that is.
(10) 4 Letter Word seems to be about holding on, with a touch of denial and even anger. In the grieving evolution that I perceive, the storyteller is trying to not let it get away...I think he knows it is inevitable, but he tries anyway. Musically it is not a favorite for me, but certainly has outstanding singing, another strong bridge and lush backing vocals at the end which are noteworthy.
(11) It is time to say Goodbye To The Girl, but it isn't easy. The melody has a stunning arc and David sings it sans rasp. It is as clear as a bell and breathtaking. I wish we heard this a little more often because it is such a pure sound. The poetic lyrics have a beautiful ring to them, and in David's voice it doesn't get much better than this. In my top three.
(12) Rapid Eye Movement. Wow. This is no lightweight record and it isn't going to end that way either. He seems to be trying to get back to sleep yet "the blinding lights of day" are hovering. "This loud morning" is calling. He is fighting it. We're fighting it. But even in dreams that person we lost is there. For me personally sleep isn't always an escape because of dreams. Regrets. Losses. Musically this is another stunning piece and he bares it all. The piano break is played to perfection by only one who has studied Mozart. (Matt S.. again, the classical training infused into a rock record. win-win.) The song ends wistfully and dreamlike with the Circadian motif "mayday, somebody save me now" sung again by the children. Absolute perfection. This. Loud. Morning. can. not. be. ignored.
There are two bonus tracks on the deluxe version which I highly recommend. (13)This Is Not The Last Time is where hope springs eternal, even in the daylight. This bright track shows off a likable key change and David holding a gorgeous, fat tenor high C. He goes up to the D as well(!) briefly. What a treat! (14) Let Me Fall For You is one that I might have chosen for the main CD, it is so good. It keeps growing on you like a good pair of jeans. David sings over David in a cool, distorted countermelody and we are left totally uplifted.

TLM is a significant and catenated work, and also very "alive". Cook has graduated into the potential artist many saw in 2008 and before. Please give this a record a chance as you will not be sorry! It doesn't need to necessarily reinvent the wheel; it is enough to just do it way better than most. (observe Mozart, my friends!)
Thank you for reading my long review, dear reader!
Oh and what ARE my top five? Circadian, Hard To Believe, Goodbye To The Girl, REM, and Right Here, With You. *subject to change* :)
4 Letter Word might be in there next week! ;D It's already grown on me since I wrote this!

5.0 out of 5 stars These rapid eyes will keep on moving..., June 28, 2011
This review is from: This Loud Morning (Audio CD)
It has been a long wait for Cook's new record. And this wait was well worth it. Leaps and bounds above his first studio record, This Loud Morning takes you on a dreamlike journey through the gestation of a relationship. Still anthemic and big, with bridges that swell massively, the songs feel more raw and more lyrically like Cook. His band was also involved a great deal with the record, and you can tell. There's so much more than driving guitars in this effort and I'm impressed with the way they infused more instrumentation and melodies - especially with the piano, played by his masterful keyboardest, Andy Skib. There are so many highlights - both the opener, Circadian and the closer, Rapid Eye Movement, give you real bang for your buck. But there are some hidden gems, like Goodbye to the Girl, penned with bandmates Skib and Neal Tiemann, and Fade Into Me, that showcase Cook's voice and prove that he can sing a ballad or an anthem. The oddity is his current single, The Last Goodbye, which was clearly chosen as a single due to the Ryan Tedder co-write, but even that has it's fun moments.

I can't stop listening to this record. Cook just keeps getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six + Stars, June 28, 2011
Maryellen J. Deleon "Cookie Luvr" (EAST HARTFORD, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing CD. A cut above DCTR for sure. It has intense emotional lyrics and intriguing instrumentation. This is a MUST buy CD even if you weren't a DC fan before. You will be NOW! Get a good set of earphones and enjoy! I can't stop listening. One of my fav tracks is We Believe. It hit me the first time I heard it. Also love Right Here With You and Hard to Believe. If you have ever had a relationship... This CD will bring up all sorts of memories, good and bad. It is a true experience! GET IT!
This Loud Morning
David Cook (+1 Bonus Track)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, June 28, 2011
I was excited for this album to come out and I was not disappointed! This album is everything that his debut album should have been and more. After hearing his first self produced album "Analog Heart", I was hoping that his first album would have the same feel and it just fell a little short. But, that doesn't mean that I didn't love his first album, I really did!

This album is the first album I've ever heard that grabbed me on the first listen. I loved EVERY SINGLE TRACK which is very rare for any great album, especially when there were 14 tracks on this album! Absolutely no filler on this album. Buy the deluxe edition, you won't regret it!

I was really impatient waiting for this album but now I'm glad it took him this long. A lot of time and effort went into this album and it shows!

4.0 out of 5 stars Close enough to perfect for me, July 1, 2011
I wish I could give it a five out of five star rating, I really do... but since some of the songs in the middle sound very similar to one another, that makes it a four. Don't get me wrong, this is a VERY solid four-star album. And that's the best part of it-- this is an ALBUM. This isn't a collection of singles thrown together and packaged perfectly to fit in the pop-laden industry. The strongest songs are Circadian and Rapid Eye Movement, the book ends of the album (without the extra tracks) Both of them pack an incredible punch and are heavy hitters, and make me wish we were in a musical era where either of those would be released as singles. Even in his softest moments, such as Goodbye to the Girl or Fade Into Me, David's voice stays strong and true, which is such a nice change from the auto-tuned artists shoved down the public's throat on a daily basis. His first single off the album, The Last Goodbye, really does fit into this collection, and the more I hear it the more I enjoy it. Would I recommend this album? Absolutely. Hands down it's one of the best albums I have heard in a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing CD, June 28, 2011
As a person who is a huge fan of country music, there are few pop or rock CDs that I will by. Certain groups that I grew up listening to (such as Matchbox Twenty, Gin Blossoms, and especially Sister Hazel and the very underrated band Nine Days), I still listen to regularly. And of course REO Speedwagon is one of my favorite bands. As a whole though, current pop and rock music is not something I generally gravitate towards.

But David Cook is a definite exception to the rule. Cook has a remarkable voice and his music is flat-out enjoyable. He is versatile and can sing rockers and ballads equally well.

With "This Loud Morning" Cook has put out a stellar sophomore album. Give it a listen.

UPDATE:
Meant to include this, but here are my "standout tracks" on the album:
"Fade Into Me"
"Paper Heart"
"4 Letter Word"
"Goodbye to the Girl"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Promise Fulfilled, June 30, 2011
This review is from: This Loud Morning (Audio CD)
I think many of these reviews have stated why this album is an instant classic in much better terms than I could. It may be shy of a masterpiece, but just barely especially when compared to the dreck so many pop artists put on the market now. I just want to add how proud I am of David Cook. From almost day one of his tenure on Idol, I felt he was worlds beyond the other contestants in every way possible. I recall after his stunning reworking of Lionel Ritchie's "Hello," Paul Abdul saying to him, "I believe you are going to be a great, shining star," or words to that effect, and I thought for once she isn't just being ditzy. I agreed completely. And from that point on, he has proved again and again her prophecy correct. With This Loud Morning he fulfills all of the lofty expectations that I (and many others obviously), had for him. Kudos, congratulations, bravo; welcome to greatness, David. We pretty much knew it was in you all along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of an album, June 28, 2011
This review is from: This Loud Morning (MP3 Music)
This album is a real album in the sense of being not just a collection of songs. From the first track through to the last, there is a flow and continuity. The songs themselves are lush with sweeping choruses that invite you to sing along.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Cook's This Loud Morning is amazing!, June 30, 2011
I am so impressed with this record. Such craftsmanship. Start the musical journey into the depth of Circadian and close your eyes and let the story unfold, savor each song and David Cook's gorgeous vocals, it will come alive in your mind, heart, soul and ears. At the end of this voyage you end up in the amazing Rapid Eye Movement but with this song you get the idea of a circle that you will want to endlessly explore. And so as I did, you will want to listen again and again as if you are peeling back layers and layers finding more musical pleasures beneath.

This Loud Morning
This Loud Morning by David Cook (Audio CD - 2011)