This is an UPGRADE, not a standalone version

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2009 2:10:00 PM PDT
Nothing on this page indicates that you don't actually get 3 licenses to install Windows 7 - these are UPGRADES, and you have to have a previous version to use them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2009 2:36:41 PM PDT
B. Murphy says:
Agreed - if you look at the image of the package you can see "upgrade" on the box.

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 2:51:06 PM PDT
I looked all over the ad becasue I want the UPGRADE. But I did not check out the picture. Is Amazone stupid? Whata an error! How did this get past them? Others are selling this package for $139.

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 3:13:58 PM PDT
M. Brashear says:
So if I have a PC that has Vista 64 bit, one with Vista 32 bit, and one with XP, will this do the job?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2009 6:39:05 PM PDT
Yep.

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 11:01:51 PM PDT
Dean Nelson says:
Just to be clear - I have two computers with Vista, and a friend of mine has 1 with Vista. If I purchase this, I can use two licenses with my computers and my friend can use the third, right? I'm just wondering if there's a "all 3 computers must be in the same house" kind of a thing. And hey, even for just 2 computers, this family pack is a great deal compared to the single upgrade price.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2009 11:39:32 PM PDT
DNJ88 says:
I think it's safe to assume that MS intends the pack to apply to 3 computers in the same house (or family), but I don't see why you couldn't split the cost with your friend. Not advising doing something that could cause problems, but what if a member of the family is a kid away at college.....would MS try to prevent that? I doubt it.

In the end, as you mentioned getting 2 upgrades at that price is better than buying 2 single-CPU upgrades. Good luck.

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 6:12:44 AM PDT
Al says:
I've been searching for the requirements for the upgrade but can't find an answer to my questions:
Will the Family upgrade pack:
1. Check to see if the operating system is installed already on the hard drive?
2. Request the original XP or Vista CD to be inserted?

I don't have an issue with either however what I don't want is if I ever need to reinstall Windows 7 Family pack, that it will insist on finding a XP or Vista install already on the hard drive.

Thanks
Al.

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 6:13:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 19, 2009 6:14:06 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 12:46:13 PM PDT
If the installation program finds a clean hard drive it will simply ask you to insert a previous copy of windows during the install. You can then do a clean install. Personally I have always done clean installs with my OS upgrade disks, so that there is no left over junk from the last version, so I get that fresh install snappy responsiveness.

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 3:59:41 PM PDT
G. Moller says:
I don't see any mention if this is the 32 bit or 64 bit version (or both on the same disk?). If I have a Vista 32 bit computer and a Vista 64 bit computer at home and want to upgrade, will this 1 purchase do it?

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 4:49:52 PM PDT
M. Brashear says:
I just received this response from Amazon, please read.

Thank you for contacting Amazon.com.

The Windows 7 Family pack will come with both a 32-bit disc, and a 64-bit disc. These will take care of the 2 Vista computers. The Windows XP computer however, would need a clean install of Windows 7, rather than the upgrade, and will need a full version of Windows 7, so it would not work with the family pack.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send another email, or you may call our Consumer Electronics Division at (877) 298-4131 Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. Saturday and Sunday 10:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Central Time. We also can take orders over the phone at this number.

Best regards,

David T
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: -------------------
10/18/09 15:21:31
Your Name:mb39sr
Comments:My question is about Windows 7. I want to buy the family pack home premium but not sure which will do. I have a PC with Vista 64bit, one with Vista 32bit, and one with XP. Will the "upgrade" version do?

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 5:52:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 19, 2009 11:53:01 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 10:36:52 PM PDT
Al says:
Thanks for the response to my earlier question.

I'm now concerned about Amazon's response to Brashear's question. I have two XP computers and one Vista. According to Amazon, the Family pack upgrade won't upgrade my XP computers - I need to buy the Full version. However what they say doesn't tie in with the responses on this thread. Amazon's view is 'The Windows XP computer however, would need a clean install of Windows 7, rather than the upgrade, and will need a full version of Windows 7, so it would not work with the family pack.'

Wouldn't the Family upgrade ask for the XP install disc?

I thought I read somewhere that the Family upgrade would also upgrade XP computers. Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks

Al.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 10:56:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 19, 2009 11:52:31 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 11:06:06 PM PDT
DNJ88 says:
Al,

Yeah, now I'm concerned as well.

I couldn't make out what the top left corner of the box the family pack comes in says here, so I went to Staples' website where you can zoom in and it says "Upgrade Designed For Windows Vista*"

For a while now the previews of this product were described as an upgrade suitable for XP or Vista. For example, PC World has an FAQ article about the Family Pack published back in early August....they asked Microsoft how the upgrades would work with the Family Pack and they said it would work with CPUs with XP (just have to do a fresh install). Maybe they changed their minds.

Hopefully Amazon will clarify this in their product description.

As for the e-mail from Amazon....the part about having 2 discs, 1 for 32-bit and 1 for 64-bit, doesn't make sense as the single upgrades for sale are not designated by bit size (that is, they aren't selling 2 home premium upgrade versions). I don't know why they would have to do this for the Family Pack.

In the end, the way I see if it if you have a computer running XP and have another one or two with Vista and have the Vista OP disk (as I do) then I would install Vista on the XP CPU and then upgrade with the Family Pack.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 11:08:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 19, 2009 11:52:40 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 11:10:15 PM PDT
DNJ88 says:
ShadyG - I get what you're saying, but that doesn't mean that it will be possible to do this with the Family Pack.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 11:20:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 19, 2009 11:52:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2009 12:09:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2009 12:12:02 AM PDT
ShadyG says:
On the Microsoft site the picture of the single Home Premium upgrade also says "for Vista" in the upper corner. On the same page however it says this: (copied from the microsoft page)

Running Windows Vista?
If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).
Running Earlier Versions?
If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications. If you're running Windows 2000, you'll need to purchase the full product and do a clean install.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2009 12:27:07 AM PDT
DNJ88 says:
Shady - Thanks for the clarification.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2009 5:13:11 AM PDT
M. Brashear says:
I talked with a woman named Corrine who works with David T at amazon and apparently David made a mistake, you can use the upgrade family pack on a PC with XP, it will just do a clean install. So I guess I will purchasing this after all.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 6:31:54 AM PDT
Brian Wawok says:
2 different concepts here

UPGRADE license vs FULL license

UPGRADE install vs FULL install

This is an upgrade LICENSE.. but you can use it to do either full or upgrade installs. There is no upgrade install for XP, so you will need to do a full install (but you can do so using this, a upgrade LICENSE)

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 7:57:48 AM PDT
I'll add to the clarity:

An UPGRADE version of Windows 7 is *fine* for use with Windows XP.

BUT, there is NO "smooth" upgrade path from XP to 7.

So ALL of your programs have to be reinstalled etc.

This was mainly done because of the insanity of the windows xp registry and the impossibility of maintaining compatibility (for a commercial/released product).

So they went the SMART route, by basically terminating Windows XP :)

The upgrade version/cost is VALID if you own XP, but be prepared to reinstall everything (games, apps, etc)

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 9:03:13 AM PDT
Especially for those upgrading from XP, I recommend running Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com before you wipe the old disk. This program checks your system and lists all installed software and their product keys. If you have old programs that you want to keep, but can't find the installation keys, this could save you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User) [Old Version]
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User) [Old Version] by Microsoft Software (Windows Vista / XP / XP Professional)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (687)