That's the question posed to more than 100 of the most influential thinkers of the world -- and, the answers are truly fascinating!

Published on November 27, 2010 by RNS

2.0 out of 5 stars What about editing out the crap?
Published on March 29, 2012 by Jackal

5.0 out of 5 stars "What game-changing scientific ideas and developments do you expect to live and see?", November 27, 2010
RNS (Murfreesboro, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future (Paperback)

Written in layman language, the essays are brief and to-the-point. And, while familiar with, and having read a great deal in the areas of Future Studies and Competitor Intelligence, I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this book. Usually such works are full of gobbly-gook language or are too scholarly and arcane to be "easy-reading." This book is different as the narrative is similar to what one would probably hear if the reader met any of these individuals on a passenger jet and engaged them in casual conversation.

Here's a sampling:

Scott Sampson, a geologist and geophysicist, suggests that we'll incorporate our better understanding of evolutionary design and theory into science and technology applications. For example, in this field, called biomimicry, scientists will examine aspects of termite mounds to design of passive-cooled buildings; to use the present evolutionary design of spider silk to create strong, flexible fibers of our own, etc.

Rupert Sheldrake, who -- at Cambridge University -- explores unexplained human and animal abilities, discusses the future of materialism in the context of human consciousness via molecular biology and physiological psychology.

Paul Davies, a physicist at Arizona State who specializes in Astrobiology, considers the "fascinating question of whether there might be more than one form of life inhabiting the terrestrial biosphere" of Earth at the microbial level. He suggests: "I believe there is a strong likelihood that Earth possesses a shadow biosphere of alternative microbial life representing the evolutionary products of a second genesis."

Oliver Morton, News and Features Editor of the highly respected journal, Nature, sees geoengineers of the future "deliberately [making] changes in the way the climate system works." While recognizing that scientists involved in this area have traditionally been shunned by colleagues "because of the moral hazard involved," and that such actions will likely backfire and wreck havoc on climate, he still sees it has happening and causing great harm to people and our planet.

Highly recommended for libraries of all kinds. And, for inquiring minds who "want to know" it's an essential purchase !

Please be sure to indicate if this review is helpful...

R. Neil Scott
Middle Tennessee State University

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, February 14, 2010
GAC (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This is a nice read that can be read in no particular order since it is composed of very short essays. If you're like me and have a short attention span with books but are interested in the ideas and opinons of others who are experts in their fields, then this is the book for you. All of the opinions are no more than a few pages each. That gives room in the book to talk about a wide variety of interesting topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Critical Inspiration, December 27, 2009
W. Saumweber (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
If you are interested in what some of our foremost scientists and researchers are thinking, and how they see our future, buy this book. The editor(s) have done a marvelous job putting this selection of short essays together enabling an interested layperson to get on overview of the widely varying approaches to understanding what our future holds - and what makes us and our world "tick." These essays present a balanced collection of optimistic and pessimistic voices. Critical inspiration for the rest of us. A must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Mixed Bag of Essays - Excellent Resouce, April 8, 2010
This book is an absolute treasure, not as a work of literature, but as an introduction to great minds.

The book is a collection of very diverse short essays of varying quality and substance. Most of them I would put into these categories. (strictly my perspective of course)
- Valuable short summaries of technology with expected advances
- Insider ideas of the practical impact of advances in science
- Insightful synthesis of the intersection of two or more areas
- Philosophical musings
- Ridiculous academic liberal blather about nothing
- Pipe Dreams and silliness

Probably at least half of the book is great material and the other part ranges from mediocre to pure garbage. I still give the book 4 stars because there is substantial value in it.

The value that I find is in supplementing my reading list for the next year+. Each of the essays gives us a peek into the work and the writing of one person, many of whom I had never heard of before. I have over a dozen names of people that I consider worth researching for future reading.

The topics include alien life, black holes, designer children, robotics, mind control, space travel, life extension and much, much more. It is hard to think of a good topic that was not included.

In one of the worst essays of the book, a moron who will not be named, gushes on and on about the possibility of dumping some yet to be developed chemical into all the worlds waters in order to chemically neuter humans so that they are incapable of having a mean or violent thought. And if the chemical cannot be developed, implanting electronics in the brains of every human on the planet that does the same thing. In the only glimmer of intelligence in this essay the author does acknowledge that anyone who escaped the authors totalitarian vision would be extremely powerful and dangerous and that the now neutered population would be unable to stop them. Ultimate police state in my view.

Still, one of the most fun books I have read in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Sneaks Up On You..., December 9, 2010
Bob Magnant (Jupiter, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I must admit that it has taken me longer than I had expected to read This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future. My initial curiosity dropped off quickly because, let's face it, a writer really can't build up much steam in two or three pages. But since I was faced with more than a hundred individuals who were vying for my attention, the odds were pretty good that eventually I would find something that would capture my imagination. The truth is that I was slowly overwhelmed by this collaboration of short essays from 125 of today's leading thinkers, who offered me their thoughts and ideas `that will change the future' for everyone.

It was Juan Enriquez who snuck up on me with Homo Evolutis [p.174] and drove the point home as he described how we have taken control of our own evolution, both mentally and physically, for the first time in human history! Next Laurence Smith [p.191] impressed me when he addressed disappearing ice sheets and other occurring phenomena, Antarctica and other Sleeping Giants, that are threatening our environment and the very future of this world that we have come to know. Stephen Schneider [p.195] reinforced this while he encouraged Conserving the Climate as William Calvin [p.198] foretold of the economic impact of climate change.

Eric Drexler [p.200] follows these warnings up with an innovative molecular manufacturing solution that is designed to attack the related carbon emissions problem head on. Then Robert Provine's [p387] paragraphs raise the novel thought that we may not be perceiving the ongoing changes while Nicholas Humphry [p.389] points out that the basics of humanity haven't changed since the Romans, regardless of the achievements in science.

These are but a few of the thoughts offered in this collection of ideas that take us on a delightful journey into a future that many of us will experience...

Bob Magnant is the author of The Last Transition..., a fact-based novel about politics, the Internet and US policy in the Middle East...

2.0 out of 5 stars What about editing out the crap?, March 29, 2012
Jackal (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Some of the entries are great and others are not impressive at all. All of the entries have previously been published on the author's website. So I don't understand why he doesn't make a stronger selection for the book. I don't mind paying (only $6) for the book, but I don't like having to wade through to find nuggets. I can't really recommend this book. Still given the low price you might find it moderately interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend it., September 12, 2014
ariadna snyder (mexico, d.f. Mexico) - See all my reviews
Very well edited and really interesting. The ideas of what might change everything range from the almost utopian to some futures that seem almost frightening (living to 1,000 years-old, living forever... those will be advancements available to whoever develops them or to the wealthiest, and, what about the not developed world?) to breakthroughs in our understanding of how the world works that are fascinating.
The book is thought-provoking, a mind-opener and a subject to talk about. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If conservatives had a mind, maybe, just maybe this would give them peace of mind., July 7, 2014
Philip I. Kyson (Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
Sick of reading s*** that makes depressed? Well stop reading stuff that turns normal every day nice people into conservatives.
Find out why progressives have a better outlook on life. There is hope for the human race after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opener, January 3, 2014
Very interesting discoveries and possibilities for the future of our world. Opened my eyes to many things that are not
Common knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, July 30, 2013
If you wish a vision of the future through the brightest minds across the U.S. that cover the progress of nanotechnology, computational biology, advanced physics, and many other topics that are written for the lay reader, simply buy this book, and get a head start on how and when major new ideas will transform the Planet. Mr. Bockman is skilled at highlighting the most advanced ideas as seen through the eyes of new and old thinkers....it will make you think !

This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future by John ( ) Brockman (Paperback - December 22, 2009)
$14.99 $10.86