This game is impossible without hints.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2011 3:51:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 11:36:32 PM PST
Johnnymushio says:
Spoilers of course.

1. Over halfway through the game, I found it odd I still had not got Epona. So for the 5th time, I went to the ranch, talked to everyone, again, nothing. Turns out, as the rock showed, I had to talk to him while ON THE HORSE to get Epona. What difference does that make?

2. The windmill. As a kid, he says he wants a new song or whatever, so I whip out my macarena, ocarina rather, and play every single song I have - nothing. As an adult, he says I did something to him 7 years ago - no? I did nothing to him 7 years ago. As the rock showed, apparently, the future affects the past. I was supposed to know this and whip out the macarena in the future so I can make him angry in the past so I can - no. It even made a chime as a kid when I whipped it out without knowing the song I was supposed to already know.

3. After the water temple (which was a lot easier than people made it out to be, maybe the N64 version was harder), the map showed 3 or so blinking dots. Kakiroki village or whatever being one of those dots, I go to it - nothing. Talk to everyone - nothing. Leave several times and come back - nothing. This is when I ended up getting Epona, then I randomly go back to the village and... what? A cutscene? Of a shadow thing coming out of a well? Why the heck did Epona trigger that cutscene? How was I supposed to know that? At that point, and even before, I could have gone to the desert as well, just to get stuck without the light boots or magic eyes or whatever. I lucked out randomly going back to that village.

4. And my last point for now I guess, the broken sword I have to give to the goron. I warp to the crater, go to the city, talk to the big guy - nothing. The rock showed - nothing. The Internet said to go to the top of the mountain and talk to him. How the heck would I have known that? So I go there - nothing! So I leave, randomly exit through the city this time, then climb up, and THEN he appears. How the heck was I supposed to know to exit through the city rather than the crater in order to talk to him? The top is the top, what difference does it make?

Also, my thumb keeps getting cramped and sliding off the nub.

Not to mention trying to 100% the master quest. I'll save you all the trouble and tell you right now the running man cannot be beaten in the master quest, because Nintendo thinks that should have been obvious. I mean, if you are gonna make a game harder, my as well make it impossible.

Aside from these things, and other things, great game.

Mark my post as useful if you too think the game is great. Don't mark it as useful if you just read the topic title and nothing else.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 9:46:14 AM PDT
idk says:
You are retarded, turn off the game right now and go play Call of Duty or something else that doesn't involve any thinking whatsoever.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 3:57:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2011 3:59:02 PM PDT
Riiiiptide says:
"1. Over halfway through the game, I found it odd I still had not got Epona. So for the 5th time, I went to the ranch, talked to everyone, again, nothing. Turns out, as the rock showed, I had to talk to him while ON THE HORSE to get Epona. What difference does that make?"

Ingo sees that you are able to ride Epona, or any horse in general, and would like to test your racing abilities then. This is the difference.

"2. The windmill. As a kid, he says he wants a new song or whatever, so I whip out my macarena, ocarina rather, and play every single song I have - nothing. As an adult, he says I did something to him 7 years ago - no? I did nothing to him 7 years ago. As the rock showed, apparently, the future affects the past. I was supposed to know this and whip out the macarena in the future so I can make him angry in the past so I can - no. It even made a chime as a kid when I whipped it out without knowing the song I was supposed to already know."

Actually, this is pretty well-known theory in the parallelisms of time and space. Have you ever seen the Terminator series? Back to the Future? The Butterfly Effect? Lots of movies with this very notion.

"3. After the water temple (which was a lot easier than people made it out to be, maybe the N64 version was harder), the map showed 3 or so blinking dots. Kakiroki village or whatever being one of those dots, I go to it - nothing. Talk to everyone - nothing. Leave several times and come back - nothing. This is when I ended up getting Epona, then I randomly go back to the village and... what? A cutscene? Of a shadow thing coming out of a well? Why the heck did Epona trigger that cutscene? How was I supposed to know that? At that point, and even before, I could have gone to the desert as well, just to get stuck without the light boots or magic eyes or whatever. I lucked out randomly going back to that village."
I don't recall using the Hover boots or Lens of Truth at Gerudo Fortress, except possibly in the Gerudo complex, which is a sidequest. Please explain this point further. I cannot respond to your question as Epona being the trigger to the cutscene because Epona is always one of the first things I obtain after pulling the Master Sword.

"4. And my last point for now I guess, the broken sword I have to give to the goron. I warp to the crater, go to the city, talk to the big guy - nothing. The rock showed - nothing. The Internet said to go to the top of the mountain and talk to him. How the heck would I have known that? So I go there - nothing! So I leave, randomly exit through the city this time, then climb up, and THEN he appears. How the heck was I supposed to know to exit through the city rather than the crater in order to talk to him? The top is the top, what difference does it make?"

This is a sidequest. It is NOT required for the game. It makes the game slightly easier and I like using the sword for much higher damage while not losing anything on the defense since I usually dodge rather than block anyways. Because this is a sidequest, this is NOT something you should be complaining about regarding the overall game.

"Also, my thumb keeps getting cramped and sliding off the nub."

Have you tried taking a break? Continual exercise of the muscles in your hand will obviously cramp it. This is not something Nintendo or any doctors in the world that I know of can help you: it's just part of being human.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 9:25:06 PM PDT
Johnnymushio says:
Don't have that problem on a PS3, Wii, or GameCube controller. I'll reply to your other things later when I have time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 9:26:05 PM PDT
Johnnymushio says:
You have failed to elaborate and actually used the word "retarded" in a sentence, thus, I cannot take what you say seriously.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 5:53:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2011 5:54:11 AM PDT
J. D'Auria says:
In all fairness, remember that OoT is a 13 year old game. Because of this, it is a little less straightforward in some areas and as a result it requires more thinking than games today. I agree with you that some things in the game are really hard to know how to do without some sort of guide (or a lot of patience/brainstorming), but overall the game isn't that hard and it gives you plenty of hints.

If this is the first Zelda game you have ever played, or if you are used to playing new games (especially games that require no thinking such as CoD or any FPS), Ocarina of Time will be more of a challenge. But just because you have to use your brain a little bit more than games today, that doesn't mean it is impossible.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 8:09:21 AM PDT
Beef says:
Yup, you have to play the game it doesn't do it for you.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 8:41:03 AM PDT
The game is loaded with puzzles, but it's not impossible.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 12:28:11 PM PDT
A. Schmitt says:
You number one is EXTREMELY obvious a small child could figure it out.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 7:12:01 PM PDT
Heather Babb says:
Really? I completed the game, even getting Epona, on my own. I admit that i didn't do the whole Goron Sword sidequest, but you use the word impossible in a ridiculous and inaccurate manner.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 12:27:29 AM PDT
anyone who has a hard time with this game should be shot. because as far as difficulty goes, it has nothing on Majora's Mask or A Link to the Past.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2011 11:10:17 AM PDT
You. I love you.

Seriously, don't play MM if you think OOT is difficult.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:14:54 AM PDT
I shudder of thinking of MM.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 11:17:36 AM PDT
J. Luciano says:
I admit when I was young i thought zelda games were a little difficult. It's the non-linearity that got me. I was used to playing mario party lol. I missed alot of the sidequests and stuff and the game took me like 2 months to beat the first time and I even consulted a guide sometimes. But I was 11.

You have to think outside of the box a bit. Over the years I've played every Zelda game and beat most of them. I'd recommend Links Awakening for your next game - Its a great "intro" to the 2d games and will prepare you for A Link to the Past if you plan on playing that one.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 12:01:35 PM PDT
Beccaree says:
I played this game when it originally came out and had no problems at all. Freaking Navi tells you what to do.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 2:18:16 PM PDT
Vicente G. says:
Wow. Navi holds your hand the whole way. If you can't figure THAT out, the Shiekah Hint Stones hold your OTHER hand too. Why do you buy into hype only to bash it?
It's a good game. This revision brings it up a bit more, if the dated visuals of the original are too "attrocious" for your age group to handle. Then again I don't know how old you are. I beat this when I was 7. No strategy guides or anything...you're supposed to explore. You're getting pissed because it's not telling you exactly what to do? As a previous poster said, go back to CoD. That'll point you in one direction, let you go, and you'll be happy.

(Don't play so long if your hand hurts.)

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 8:52:58 AM PDT
T. Hickman says:
Just try everything and try it again if you get stuck. Back in 98 I didn't have the Internet or the hint videos and I still beat it as a kid... Back then though I would spend like 2-3 days or more doing one temple and friends at school would talk about the game together.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 9:02:45 AM PDT
The most difficult part is figuring out where in the vast world of Hyrule you can find heart pieces and gold Skulltulas. I had to use a guide for that part. However, I did all the dungeons on my own and they ranged from insanely easy to mildly challenging. Ganon's Castle was RIDICULOUSLY easy. I mean, for a final dungeon and the culmination of the entire epic game, it was such a cakewalk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 2:57:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 2:59:25 AM PDT
Johnnymushio says:
1. What hype? Who says I bought into any hype? I bought the game, therefore I bought into the hype? I spent 2.99 on this game on Amazon with credits. Why not buy it? And bashing the game? I called it a great game, but you chose to ignore that for whatever reason.

2. Where did I say I dislike the graphics? Really, where? Are you just making up things to argue about?

3. Who said your not supposed to explore? I was pissed? My points, as stated above, proved that certain aspects of the game are impossible without hints, random luck, or prior knowledge.

4. Why do you assume I play COD? It is the worst game I have ever played, actually.

5. My thumb slipping off the stick has nothing to do with time.

I can't tell if you are actually thinking when you are posting, or if you are replying to some other person who hated the game? I am baffled. I guess you are replying to me, if so, wow.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 3:34:43 PM PDT
M. Stinger says:
Johnnymusio,

Your third point did not prove anything. I beat the game back in '98 as a young Teen without any guides, luck, etc. Now, I have grown up playing Zelda 1 and ALttP (Zelda 2 is horrid, IMO), so I know what to look for in the Zeldaverse as far as happenings, etc. (Things like burning bushes, shooting eyes with the arrow, bombing cracks in the wall, using a sword to hear the difference in the sound when striking said cracked wall as opposed to a normal piece of wall, etc.) However, to insinuate that you PROVED that you need outside help to complete this game is utterly false.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 5:46:06 PM PDT
I agree with you and most of the others. This game is definitely not impossible, even to the modern gamer, who usually want to be hand-held more often. Most of the OP's problems were meant to discovered by hints via conservations or simple problem solving. Biggoron tells you as a child he will be done with something special in 7 years, Ingo challenges you to a horse race, etc.

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 12:37:01 PM PDT
Not to mention the Biggoron's Sword sidequest locations are marked on your map!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 12:38:59 PM PDT
M. Stinger says:
^^^LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 7:36:25 PM PDT
Riiiiptide says:
Johnnymushio

You still have yet to respond to my rebuttal against your "proof."
Until then, you have proved nothing :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 3:25:21 AM PDT
Johnnymushio says:
Please read again: So I leave, randomly exit through the city this time, then climb up, and THEN he appears. How the heck was I supposed to know to exit through the city rather than the crater in order to talk to him? The top is the top, what difference does it make?"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  36
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (840)