Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2010 4:20:30 AM PDT
dharmamom says:
What if someone is an agnostic or atheist? How centered on god (which god?) is this book? Thanks for any help!

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 5:00:57 AM PDT
Maria Ours says:
I was wondering the same thing. I'll probably read it anyway. It's supposed to be a quick read.

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 8:19:09 AM PDT
sara thomas says:
I am an agnostic, and don't let the word "God" deter you from reading the book. It's not an issue detracting from the valuable messages in the book. It was a bold word choice for the cover, maybe to get people's attention (?) ..... one can easily substitute the word "spirituality" -and whatever that means for you- for god:)

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 9:51:37 AM PDT
dharmamom says:
Thanks to you both. I didn't realize it was such a short book. I will probably pick it up and read it. I am pretty open minded but didn't want to read something I totally couldn't relate to. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2010 7:53:21 PM PDT
Cuppa Coffee says:
What if you replaced God with Nature - you must admit Nature is much more powerful than you - I think she was asking you to seek out a "god or higher power" that is stronger and more powerful than you. You can look to nature in all its awe, beauty and destruction and know you are but one small being in NATURE.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 6:52:40 PM PDT
Marneygirl says:
Great answer!!! I was avoiding this book until I read your post. Kudos!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 10:02:23 AM PDT
Do not be put off by reference to God. Think of it as your "Higher Self"--that little voice within that is all-knowing & loving which if we can get quiet enough whispers our truth.

Posted on May 22, 2010 12:29:33 PM PDT
If you read the negative reviews they all say they didn't like the book because the author doesn't mention God. In fact, the author is an atheist. Ha!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2010 8:01:20 AM PDT
I'm just grateful there are others asking this question. I've read Roth before and I've been avoiding this book for fear of being preached to. Thanks for asking!

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 3:47:58 AM PDT
AmandaGal says:
The book really had more middle eastern religious thought than the western Christian God.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 12:18:08 PM PDT
Felicia Fort says:
Respectfully, I believe it was meant as written. However you choose to process the information is up to you. :)

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 6:48:10 AM PDT
B. Robinson says:
For those above who were hesitant about reading the book because of it's reference to "God", go ahead and get the book. I on the other hand was looking for a book with "God" in the title by an author who actually believed in a "God" and was extremely disappointed. Not only do I think she is misleading readers by using it in her title, but then her one or two references to any kind of "God" or higher power in the book confirmed my decision to just send it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 11:29:53 AM PDT
sheila roddy says:
Hallelua! Talk about taking Our Lord's name in vain!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 2:43:31 PM PDT
Halo says:
Don't worry. Other than the title, God is barely mentioned in this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 4:42:41 AM PST
Don't read the Constitution of the United States. It's a quick read too, but it mentions God - as in the God of the Bible - quite often. You wouldn't like it. It made our country the best in the world but it might make YOU uncomfortable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 5:19:04 AM PST
Halo says:
*roll eyes* The Constitution also mentions freedom of religion...this makes our country awesome, although it sounds as if it makes YOU uncomfortable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 5:49:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2010 5:54:41 AM PST
Quite the contrary. Freedom of religion is something I'd gladly fight for - in fact, I'll likely need to - as Clinton and Obama want to change it to 'freedom of worship' - an entirely different thing altogether. I just think that this whole thread is ridiculous in the fact that you (and most of the others) are concerned about the book actually referencing an element of the title (imagine that?)...instead of just NOT buying the book.(You have that freedom too!) Interesting concepts huh?; : a book that actually has material in it (though apparently not much) that relates to the title and ....NOT buying a book that might not be up your alley. This might interest you, it looks to me that an earlier book by this author is essentially this book w/o - dare I say it ?? - God. Remember, God (big G) loves you anyway...even if you haven't figured that out yet. Lighten up a bit too, halo. Life's more fun that way.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 11:16:17 AM PDT
oolala53 says:
What Roth was alluding to was the concept of God that I entertain, and it does come from more Eastern modalities, though there are some Western practices that draw on it. This book is NOTHING like books written advocating using Christian philosophy to lose weight. I, too, was actually disappointed that she spoke very little about it nor seemed to explain how to let it play much of a role in liberation from food or anything else. Her emphasis on paying so much attention to the content of our thoughts is actually counter to Eastern practices. She finally admitted in this book that she has been married to her sensitivity and overly dramatic reactions to life's events for longer than she was caught by food.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about