Customer Discussions > This Is It forum

"This is it" I hope the 2nd disc is his "live" versions from the film!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2009 10:02:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2009 8:30:33 PM PDT
The first disc is just to be all of Michael Jacksons "best-of" hits that I'm sure most of us have already...I'm looking forward to the unreleased single "This is it" and the whole 2nd disc...Supposedly it could have been a stand alone disc for the film. (Could that mean "live" versions from the film or something else). Also, a spoken poem by Michael titled "Planet Earth" will be included...can't wait!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2009 10:31:22 AM PDT
It'll be more unreleased tracks.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/09/the-michael-jackson-new-musical-onslaught-begins.html

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 10:52:30 AM PDT
That sounds cool...alternate versions of songs we already know. I hope it has alternate version of "Billie Jean" & "Smooth Criminal" among others.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:19:09 PM PDT
Skeet9 says:
"Movie Reviewer says:
I'm looking forward to the unreleased hit "This is it".

This may be an uninformed question, I'm not up on all things Michael. But how can "This Is It" be a hit if it's never been released? Are you talking about a different version of a previously released song?

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 8:31:21 PM PDT
Fixed it, I don't know why I put that...

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 9:39:13 AM PDT
If this is just a best of they can keep it. I hope they have the concert remixes, and This Is It better be good hoperfully Jermaine doesn't have a solo on it...ugh

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 10:13:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 25, 2009 10:16:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 2:41:18 PM PDT
Skeet9 says:
"Movie Reviewer says:
Fixed it, I don't know why I put that... "

Thanks for the clarification. With Michael's history, it probably *will* be a hit, so maybe you were just ahead of reality. Of course like any music fan I've always been aware of Michael's music through the various media. Maybe because he was (and is) so visible and popular, I never really got really into collecting it. By the time radio & tv were done with a MJ hit, I'd usually heard it enough.

As a kind of Michael "outsider", I have a couple of questions for you more devoted fans. Do any of you have any concerns about MJ being overexposed after his passing? Do you think his Estate & record label will have quality in mind when they release something, or do you worry they may release sub-par material just to cash in?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 3:29:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2009 3:35:48 PM PDT
I used to be an outsider. I didn't collect his music b/c he was such a permanent fixture that I didn't think he'd be going anywhere anytime soon. As for the overexposure, I think it was needed. Years of damage by the media had certainly sullied his reputation. As for the estate, they certainly are desperate for an influx of cash due to the huge amount of debt left behind, but they are family & they are just concerned about preserving his legacy, so I expect nothing but high quality releases. Don't forget Sony has a vested stake in all of this...

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 7:19:35 PM PDT
Ian Roegels says:
What does the term "original album masters" mean? They've been using that term frequently. And I hope by "alternate" versions on disc 2 they don't mean more "remixes"... not like there aren't already a million remixes of all his songs already. Like we need more. And until I see the movie, I question how much actual "live" singing he did. It's well documented that particularly after the "Dangerous" tour he did much of his live performances lip syncing. That clip they keep showing from "This Is It" of him singing "They Don't Care About Us"... put that up against the CD... it's him lip syncing, it's not live.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2009 7:59:31 PM PDT
I believe the second cd consists of alternate versions of his songs. For example, you can find an alternate version of Lady in My Life on YouTube. It's much longer than the album version. It's definitely noticeably different. Did you see the 2:34 trailer? It definitely seemed like a lot of it was live, esp. when he was singing Billie Jean.

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 10:39:45 PM PDT
I forgot, I really hope they put "A Place With No Name" on the cd...remember tmz released a 24 second clip of this song (Sounds like "A Horse With No Name") right after he died. And I agree, I hope no remixes are on the cd. Also, don't forget, Michael has over 100 songs never released... My favorite song by Jackson is Smooth Criminal (the extended version), how about all of you?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 7:53:34 AM PDT
The orignal album masters mean the ones just as they appeared on BAD, Thriller, Dangerous, ect...so basically the first CD is yet again a "greatest hits".

Like the other person posted I hope they release the concert versions of his songs, they keep playing the clip "The Don't Care About Us" remixed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 7:56:21 AM PDT
I'm pretty sure it won't be on there. It sounds like a Country song, I dunno how I feel about him singing from that genre, the 24 second clip is not enough for me to know if I like it or not... They'll probably release it on another cd & release it right before Christmas.

I'm surprised you were able to pick ONE lol Smooth Criminal is one of my favorite videos, but my favorite songs are Lady in My Life, Human Nature, Man in the Mirror & Butterflies.

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 9:21:10 AM PDT
Yeah, I know so many to pick from...I too also like Human Nature & Man in the Mirror. I think what made pretty much everyone like Michael Jacksons music is that he covered pretty much all of the music genres so there is something for everybody. I'm also hearing the movie "This is It" will be out on dvd on time for this Christmas. 2 DVD / Blu-Ray (disc 1 theatrical cut) disc 2 (over 2 hours of MJ warming up / stop & go during songs)...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 1:50:37 PM PDT
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get the DVD. Speaking of more of his best songs, have you heard Earth Song & Stranger in Moscow are great too!

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 2:48:11 PM PDT
Julie says:
I alreay own most of his cd's, what i really want is the spoken poem.
that will be beautiful. Magical

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 1:40:37 PM PDT
Jordan F says:
I think this is ridiculous. I think most people would agree that what Sony SHOULD be releasing is a film soundtrack, not a songtrack. Why would I want songs EXACTLY THE SAME as the ones I already own? Sony needs to release the songs AS THE APPEAR in the film, not the original album masters.

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 11:13:19 PM PDT
luvsong says:
dirty diana is my fav Mj song of all time

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 4:26:32 AM PDT
no name says:
I have 2(two) questions.
What is the difference in the "This Is It" CD for $9.99 and the "This Is IT" CD for $19.99 ????

SEcond question: Can you play a Blu-ray CD on a CD Player that plays a CD that is not a Blu-ray??? I'm talking about just a regular CD player. Can you play a Blu-ray CD on it??

Thanks so much in advance-
Blue

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 5:15:45 PM PDT
the difference on the 9.99 vs 19.99 is single disc vs 2 disc collectors that includes a small poster...and for the blu-ray question...yes you can play it on a regular cd player, from what i have heard but most people can not tell a difference in audio clarity since it is only burning the data using blu-ray tech, not reading it. I think as of right now you can only import them from Japan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 12:36:45 PM PDT
no name says:
Thank you for answering.
Does anyone know what is on each disc ??
Thanks again-
Blue

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 7:50:54 PM PDT
You can now find the track listing on michaeljackson.com,

It is horrible!!! WE ONLY GET 5 NEW SONGS / DEMOS!!!
THE REST OF THE CD IS ALL OF HIS OLD STUFF, NOT THE REAL LIVE "SOUNDTRACK"
This is a big disappointment as I want to hear all brand new music...

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 7:46:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2009 7:52:44 AM PDT
VSQCo says:
Hey Sony & Jackson family members - I'd like to hear some of those one hundred tracks MJJ recorded during the "Invincible" sessions, and I am sure the other fans would appreciate this a lot more than a fifth collection of greatest hits, although nice of you to finally add "Smooth Criminal".

This is the track rundown of This Is It
Disc 01
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Jam
They Don't Care About Us
Human Nature
Smooth Criminal
The Way You Make Me Feel
Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Thriller
Beat It
Black Or White
Earth Song
Billie Jean
Man In The Mirror
This Is It
This Is It (Orchestra Version)

Disc 02
She's Out Of My Life (Demo)
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Demo)
Beat It (Demo)
Planet Earth (Poem)

Meh.

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 10:21:58 AM PDT
I hope at least these are the "extended" dance mixes that could be found on the now Out of Print Visionary Single set...as I prefer those. I don't understand how after he died, we all found out about his huge unreleased material and it has yet to be released or "live" versions of anything...If the "this is it" cds are for the "fans" wouldn't the fans already have all of these songs??
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  This Is It forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
This Is It
This Is It by Michael Jackson (Audio CD - 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (249)