Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2007 8:50:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2007 8:54:06 PM PDT
hoov says:
"Orson Scott Card offers a Christmas gift to his millions of fans with this short novel set during Ender's first years at the Battle School where it is forbidden to celebrate religious holidays.

The children come from many nations, many religions; while they are being trained for war, religious conflict between them is not on the curriculum. But Dink Meeker, one of the older students, doesn't see it that way. He thinks that giving gifts isn't exactly a religious observation, and on Sinterklaas Day he tucks a present into another student's shoe.

This small act of rebellion sets off a battle royal between the students and the staff, but some surprising alliances form when Ender comes up against a new student, Zeck Morgan. The War over Santa Claus will force everyone to make a choice."

OSC... you bastard. Ender's game was fun because it wasn't preachy. This just looks like OSC's new trend of pushing his agenda through fiction (Empire anyone?).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007 9:52:00 PM PDT
M. Lee says:
That's what I thought too. Is this a joke? I think (even though Orson Scott Card is a genius)he's pushing it too far now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 4:15:39 PM PDT
Ben Phenicie says:
Couldn't agree more. OSC really needs to stop writing if this gook is what he's going to do. It doesn't even promote his beliefs effectively.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 6:50:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2007 8:30:52 PM PDT
hoov says:
I have this image in my head of one of the characters saying, "Sure Ender, I'll tell you what Christmas is really all about."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2007 9:22:22 PM PDT
Empire was horrible, it was the only OSC book I couldn't finish. I'm kinda sad that this book is only going to be 128 pages. I really don't think this will be worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2007 9:48:31 PM PDT
W. Griffin says:
Empire was a great book!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 2:15:01 PM PDT
hoov says:
I assume you are being sarcastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 10:14:43 AM PDT
porkchop says:
Ender is such a wonderful character, it's easy to picture some superfan writing about his antics before joining Salamander army. I just didn't think the author would be that superfan... It makes me wonder how much more fan fiction he's written about his own work :D

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007 9:33:20 AM PDT
B. Shore says:
Ender's game was fun because it wasn't preachy.
Wasn't Preachy?!!! The whole Of the the Enderverse is social tolerance!! Just beacus it didn't smack us in the face was it so accepted as a great story! True I have not read the new book to date but religious tolerance is a huge issue, one that is more to the surface of society today. Now that Mr. Card has dared to outright state that this is an issue people get up in arems calling the book A "Saterday Special". Nonesense! It is an issue that needs to be dealt with. This seems to be a Break through story one that teaches us an important concept, one that all of society needs to learn.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007 3:48:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2007 4:05:44 PM PDT
hoov says:
Obviously we need Orson Scott Card to preach tolerance. He has said, "So long before the Massachusetts Supreme Court decided to play Humpty Dumpty, the American people had plunged into a terrible experiment on ourselves, guided only by the slogan of immaturity and barbarism: 'If it feels good, do it!'" (http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html)

Tolerance. Right.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 12:22:33 PM PDT
Alex says:
Very unimpressed with the new book. I'm quite disappointed.I was looking forward to a new Ender book....but not like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2007 1:37:31 AM PDT
Richard Erb says:
"...Ender Wiggin finds a way to show him the real meaning of the holidays". Yikes! I'm in the middle of Shadow of the Hegemon right now. I went to do a search to see if Card's got any new Ender titles on the horizon. But, this? I'm all for spin-offs and such. And Card's already done so much in his career that he has the right to write whatever he pleases. But, this needs to be filed under children's lit ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008 3:51:27 AM PST
So your idea of tolerance is for everyone to have the same opinion as you do. To express a different one is intolerant.

How tolerant of you. Right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 10:05:09 AM PST
YGKimberly says:
I got my husband into reading the series recently. He just told me that OSC plans to re-write parts of Ender's Game in order to correct some of the inaccuracies that have surfaced in other stories...What??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2009 7:38:00 AM PDT
Michigoon says:
"OSC plans to re-write parts of Ender's Game in order to correct some of the inaccuracies that have surfaced in other stories"

In writing Ender in Exile, Card admitted he didn't even remember anything about the series, nor did he intend to bother looking back through his notes, so he asked his fanbase to fill him in. That and this "Gifts" book have convinced me that Card is completely over-the-hill. I swear he's paying (or, influencing) people to come here and post positive reviews for him because "...Gifts" is absolute drivel. There's quasi-religious banter, and Santa Wiggin shows up and makes everything all right. Yech.

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 10:33:04 AM PST
MooseWoman says:
Just reading the description of the plot is enough for me to cross this off any list I may have put it on. UGH!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (Other Tales from the Ender Universe)
A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (Other Tales from the Ender Universe) by Orson Scott Card (Hardcover - October 30, 2007)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (137)