Customer Discussions > NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition forum

This looks like an expensive disaster

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 12:30:28 PM PDT
Adam C. Nail says:
I love Neo Geo and wish I could of had one as a kid but that was then. SNK has released a majority of its games on different consoles and the rest can be downloaded as roms (which are what come with this system).

Plus they're only giving you 20. It should be the entire library and two controllers if you want to make this enticing.

$200 for a bare bone rom player is way way way too much.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:29:46 AM PDT
Gamemaster64 says:
No it $200 for this bundle. It $130 for just the player.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:32:07 PM PDT
$200 for a quality handheld, docking station w/ HDMI, an arcade stick with the original Neo Geo parts, and games is too much?

No, no it isn't.

If you want something for less money, you'd be getting a cheaper made product, which SNK is not about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 6:20:18 PM PDT
M. Henzel says:
I pre-ordered one of these on day one, but I honestly would not expect SNK quality if you are used to the 1990 Neo-Geo AES.

SNK might not be about low quality, but this isn't made by SNK (or SNK/Playmore). They only licensed the name and games to Blaze/Tommo and if you are familiar with their older products you might lower your bar a bit.

I also don't believe they are using original Neo-Geo parts. I believe the PR rep (who also got the specs wrong on several occasions) was talking specifically about the Neo stick. Did he mean original parts or original design? There is a big difference. It's most likely the same design as the PS2, Wii, and PS3 Neo2 Sticks which were decent, but not identical to the original AES sticks. I own several of both the AES and PS2 sticks.

It's just important to know the difference between emulation/roms and original hardware/carts. It's easy to get caught up in the Neo-Geo collection craze, but it's important to know what you are buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:33:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 10:37:52 PM PDT
As stated, the arcade stick is using the same parts as the AES stick.

In addition, the handheld has been said to feel similar to the NPC.

If it weren't so important to them to have the Neo Geo feel, they would've gotten rid of the "clicky" feel.

As for the Blaze/Tommo comment, it's true that inexpensive Sega emulator devices that you buy for $40 are cheap. You buy something for cheap, expect cheaper build quality.

As someone who just picked up a Gunlord AES cart, I know exactly what to expect. I've read all of the previews and seen all of the hands-on videos. Could this be my inner Neo Geo fanboy coming out? Sure. But I like what I've seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:08:08 AM PST
does the stand alone neo geo x player come with it's own independent charger? i hope so. not interested in the bundle. i just want the player and a wall charger.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:38:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:08:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:40:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:09:17 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:52:38 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:09:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:46:23 PM PST
M. Henzel says:
"As someone who just picked up a Gunlord AES cart." for $700+ USD you probably are a bit more forgiving on a piece of hardware bearing the Neo-Geo logo than someone else would be!

And no, this is not the same parts that were used in the original AES stick. They made be the same parts that were in the Neo-Geo Stick2, but not the AES. I have a good source, trust me on this. It may look similar (although you can still tell they are not the same from the pics and videos). None of the usual cracking on the Seimitsu sticks shows on them.

All arcade sticks with micro-switches are clicky. Not just Neo-Geo. If they had left that off it would have been shunned by even the Neo elitists who buy Neo.everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:52:29 AM PST
Mr Obvious says:
"which is not what SNK is about....." First of all. SNK has been long out of business. The stellar reputation you're talking about here has been long tarnished by the new SNK-Playmore (who isn't even the company releasing this system btw....Tommo is). Every handheld for the last 15 years has already released these games on top of their existing catalog. Everyone who is a true fan, either already has a Neo, or has already bought these games and more on any of the other 15+ systems that have relreased the neogeo games in the past 20 yrs. And this system doesnt' even play anything else. You can go buy this SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1 - PlayStation 2 for like 15 bucks and have all the same games + the entire library of PS2 games.......

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:01:36 AM PST
Scott P. says:
Sure, it was quality in 1992. Now it's just old.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:40:33 PM PST
M. Henzel says:
It was quality in 1990 and the games still rock.
Great games don't get "old", they get "classic".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions