Customer Discussions > Sandman 10 Volume Slipcase Set forum

This version or Absolute Sandman?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2012 6:15:39 AM PDT
Amanda says:
Sorry if this is a silly question... I have read a few of the Sandman stories, and I want to own the whole collection. But apparently the Absolute books contain more material, and volume 5 is a collection of stories that won't feature in this slipcase collection, is that correct?

I am just confused: when the Absolute Sandman #1 says it contains issues from 1-20, what is the equivalent in the slipcases?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 5:06:48 PM PDT
Tate says:
The Sandman Slipcase set contains all ten of the new printings of the Sandman paperbacks (the new printings having the same recolored art featured in the Absolute books). So where Absolute Sandman book one collects issues #1-20, that would be equivalent to the first three books included in the slipcase set. There isn't anything collected in the first four Absolute editions that isn't included in this set. Absolute Sandman vol. 5 just collects a series of spin-offs and side stories that fit into, but aren't necessarily a part of, Gaiman's 75 issue epic.

So if you want to save some money, you could just buy this slipcase set and Absolute Sandman book five and get the exact same content.

Hope this helped.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 11:04:38 AM PDT
Tate's right about the 5th Absolute - they're just pretty much side stories and not part of the main series. In my opinion they aren't essential but still worth a read if you need another Sandman fix outside of the main story.

Personally I'd go with the Absolute editions because they're oversized and they let you appreciate the art more. However they cost more and the 3rd Absolute is currently out of print, hopefully it'll come back in print but if it doesn't this slipcase set might be the only way to go. I guess you could buy the 1st, 2nd and 4th Absolutes and then go with paperbacks of what would comprise the 3rd volume. Would kinda stink though not having all 4 volumes of the main series in the same format.

I've actually got all 4 Absolutes and they're beautiful - essentially the crown-jewels of my graphic novel collection. They have some of Gaiman's scripts for the series if you want to peak behind the curtain at how he writes. If you're a big fan I'd say see if the 3rd Absolute goes back into print and then snatch up the 4 big-boy volumes. But this is a fine alternative. This or the Annotated volumes - vol. 1 is already out and 2 comes out in October. They seem to have the same issue counts as the Absolutes but have additonal notes about aspects of the story. Check reviews here on Amazon about them. Keep in mind that the annotated collections are in black and white though, but it's kinda cool that way. I'm picking those up both as a companion piece to the other volumes and so I don't wear out my Absolutes!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 7:14:33 PM PDT
Amanda says:
This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks a lot! Pre-ordered. :)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 7:45:44 PM PDT
Mabel says:
Tate - You said "There isn't anything collected in the first four Absolute editions that isn't included in this set." Are you sure about this? I read all of Sandman via the first four Absolute editions (checked out from the public library) and one of my favourite parts about them - volume 3 in particular, dealing with the Endless - was all the additional artwork. Is all of that artwork really in this slipcase version?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:08:08 PM PST
Sam Thursday says:
This is not entirely true-if you're a completist, there's a lot of other stuff in the Absolute Editions that isn't in the slipcase. There are pictures of Sandman merch, art for various pin-up galleries and house ads by the very, very talented gang of artists who worked on the title, and, most vitally, there are several (five, I think? Maybe six?) short stories that Gaiman wrote for various anthologies or to fill out collections. They're great, and they're not collected anywhere else, which is a shame. I'm a big fan of the Absolutes, although they're kinda heavy...

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 4:15:49 AM PST
Lee G. says:
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is with the sale of this item? It's been unavailable for quite some time now "because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here."

I'd like to order this for the holidays but as I need to ship overseas this necessitates getting the order in ASAP. =(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:40:59 AM PST
Amanda says:
No idea what they mean with that ://
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sandman 10 Volume Slipcase Set
Sandman 10 Volume Slipcase Set by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - November 13, 2012)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (69)