Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 28, 2000
Paperback with flimsy paper that doesn't stand up to much wear. Our copy is dog-eared and the back cover is ripped off and that didn't take long.
There is one page per letter with a photo from the televison show depicting the theme of that letter (not a hand drawn or computer generated illustration or cartoon). For example: A is for all aboard and the photo is of Thomas stopped at a station. The photos are great. Every page has one sentence at the bottom that uses the word in context. I do have a complaint that each letter is only shown in the upper case. Despite much room available on the page, when the word is spelled out the first letter is in tiny font just like the rest of the letters. I would prefer if the presenting letter were a larger font to highlight its' use in the word. I was hoping to use this book as a way to teach the letters to my son and this is why I am critical of these factors.
With that said, any little Thomas the Tank Engine lover will absolutely love this book.
Some of the words are a stretch or strange (T is for tracks but then the photo shows Terence the tractor and the sentence is "Terence tells Thomas about his tracks". Why not use T for Thomas (the one word the children are most familiar with), or else use Terence as he is pictured, or just say that T is for Thomas, AND Terence, AND Tracks?
This book has gotten us through some long car trips and air flights.
With all my little criticisms, I feel Iit's low cost justifies its purchase and replacement when it wears out.
on October 26, 2010
I feel like someone with English as a second language created this book. Some of this book is just plain silly. For example...for the letter "t" - I can't even remember what they use right now, but they don't use "Thomas" or "tracks" even though there are pictures of both of those things on that page! Also - and I admit this is the reason I gave this book three stars rather than two - there is one part that says "Poop! Poop!" rather than "Peep! Peep!" I thought this was hilarious and clearly a mistake (I hope Gordon wasn't supposed to be saying "Poop!"). My son is too little to think that's funny, but you can bet my husband and I were laughing about it.

My son likes the pictures. The book itself is very cheaply made and the pictures look like someone took pictures from a Thomas the Train episode with a regular old camera (one with film) and then photocopied them with a cheap color photocopier on to super thin paper and then slapped it together and called it a book. But - because it was only a few dollars, my son likes it, and it says "Poop! Poop!" in it, I have given it three stars.
44 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2014
My boys love all things Thomas and this is a generally decent book, but what bothers me is the "M" page. "M is for men. The men who drive the engine stand inside the cab." Really? I'm guessing "the men who drive the engine stand inside the cab" is a line from a Thomas story, but didn't it occur to anyone creating this book that it might seem offensive to any of the readers? I don't like showing this book to my boys because it gives the impression that only men drive trains. I strive to give my children the worldview that being a man or woman doesn't dictate anything about your life except your ability to be a mommy vs daddy.
review image
on February 18, 2015
My 24 month old son and daughter (twins) love this book, but I have given it a lower rating because of one particular content issues. The "M" page is "M is for Men - the Men who run the engines" or something to that effect. Whenever I read it, I always have to adjust it to say the "men and the women". Maybe I am being obsessive, but it is too easy for girls to be marginalized without childrens books adding to the issue. I think that girl's esteem issues aren't affected by blatant mysogeny, but by subtle hints that some things are for girls and some are for boys. This is not my favorite book.
on November 1, 2013
When my little brother (now 24) was around 3 years old, he had this book memorized backwards and forwards. He would have my whole family read this book to him over and over and over and over again, all day long. After about the letter C, he would just take off and read the rest of the book for you from memory while you flipped the pages for him. Any book that can cause a 3-year-old to learn his ABCs that well is an A+ to me, so I'm going to buy it for my own son now. If your kid likes Thomas the Tank Engine, this is a truly great learning tool.
on February 21, 2013
The quality of the book itself isn't AMAZING.... but my son LOVES it! I'm happy because it helps him to practice the alphabet and my 2-year-old is happy because he loves Thomas. Also, good to note that the entire book has a "train track" running throughout it in the background and my son loves that! He drives his trains on it while we're reading. So cute!
VINE VOICEon January 22, 2015
I am certainly happy that I bought the library edition of this book.

When presented to our little one, his eyes lit up and with such enthusiasm and surprise his little fingers went over the pictures with the discovery as it indeed appeared just as it does on tv.

This has become a favorite already. While I would have liked to see the pages of the book with a more quality thicker stock, the colorations are wonderful and even tho not a heavy paper it appears to be woven well.

All the favorite trains are featured and it is a happy time!
on March 8, 2013
We thought this book might help with a 2-year old's ABC's but then I worried he would confuse the A for Apple etc with the words/letters in the Thomas Book. Maybe a tad old for his age .. better suited once he knows his ABC's, which now he does by drawing them in the tub every night and tracing them on his ipad.
on February 19, 2013
My son loves Thomas so the book was a hit - he has me read it to him almost every night - time for a new one :)
Thomas's ABC Book features color photographs of the beloved characters that live and work on the Island of Sodor, including Bertie the Bus, Sir Topham Hatt, Edward, James, Toby, Percy, Edward, and James. Each letter of the alphabet is highlighted, and is tied into a short sentence about the picture.

For example:

A" is for all aboard. "All aboard!" calls Thomas the Tank Engine.

"Q" is for quick. James the Red Engine comes to a quick stop.

This is a delightful book that introduces the alphabet for small children, and is especially engaging because of the colorful pictures that are actually clear still from videos (at least, that's what they look like). Young train enthusiasts will especially love this book-as well as parents wanting a short (but educational) bed-time story to read to the kids.