5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value and wonderfully entertaining
This is by far the best deal I've seen on a Thomas set. The water tower retails alone for $24.00 and the bridge for $18! My son is absolutely wild about Thomas and the water tower and bridge are the two things he plays with the most. I am thrilled that they have combined them into a set along with track, and plan to give this as a gift to my nephew.

The water...
Published on August 5, 2004 by Allison

3.0 out of 5 stars basic, nicely made, easy to use
ur 3 1/2 year old daughter seemed big on trains and enjoyed the track for as long as she could keep it out before little sister pulled it apart. It was easy for her to assemble herself and equally easy to take apart and store. It's a simple track and doesn't get much play in our house
Published on January 31, 2012 by m Landowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value and wonderfully entertaining, August 5, 2004
Allison (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas And Friends Wooden Railway - Water Tower Figure 8 Set (Toy)

The water tower contains liquid that appears to "drain" when you lower the spout (this alone is worth hours of entertainment for a toddler). The bridge has 3 parts and is very easy for young hands to assemble. It's reasonably stable, although the top piece is not held in place with anything other than gravity and can be knocked over accidentally. There is plenty of room underneath for trains and track. Some cheaper sets have bridges that are so low that the trains don't fit underneath.

Thomas brand track is excellent quality and features indented "ties," unlike less expensive versions. However, it's fully compatible with Brio, Imaginarium, and several generic brands on the market. This set also includes a Thomas train and cargo car to start your Thomas collection (Watch out! It's addicting). These would retail for about $10 apiece if you bought them separately. If your child already has a Thomas train, don't worry. To a 2 or 3 year old, two identical trains are more fun than one.

A simple figure-8 track layout is best for young children who are being introduced to wooden train sets for the first time. You can also rearrange the pieces to make a loop or simple circle. I highly recommend this set as a first train set for any boy or girl age 2 and up! A great companion is Thomas Wacky Track, which allows for a wider range of curve diameters, and reduces the frustration level of beginning engineers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting out with wooden railroads?, January 18, 2006
C. Hashimoto (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set and the Figure 8 Expansion Set for my son for Christmas 2005. He is just over 2 years old, and he loves Thomas the Tank Engine in particular, and all things train related in general, so this was a very easy decision to make. The quality of Learning Curve's wooden track is very good; the pieces are made from hardwood, and are quite sturdy. While we have expanded using other generic tracks which are compatible with Brio/Thomas track, there is a noticeable difference in the quality.

I would offer one caveat. This set is very similar to the Conductor's Figure 8 Set, which is typically offered for the same price. While the water tower that comes with this set is a pretty neat accessory, I think that the Conductor's set offers a bit better value, as it comes with Thomas and two cars (Water Tower set only comes with one engine and one car), as well as an additional switch track and a conversion ramp. These offer a bit more flexibility in layout and play, especially since my son is not terribly interested in the water tower right now (though this may change when he gets older).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for Thomas pieces. The yellow water tower is slightly different from the red one., October 17, 2005
Doctor Trance (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Tons of stuff come in this set, for a super price: a Thomas, cargo train with cargo piece, a tree, a Sir Topham Hat figure, two signs, a 3 section bridge, a water tower, and tracks that form a figure 8.

If you add up the price of the red water tower, one train with attached cargo train, a bridge, and several track sets and accessories, you would be at a price 50-75% more than the cost of this excellent Thomas starter set. This set is even worth it if you already have other pieces in the line. My son wanted a water tower, and I figured why pay the price of a single one, when for a few dollars more, you get 2 trains, a bridge, signs, a figure, a tree, and tons of track. While some of the larger Thomas sets don't really save you cash and can be very pricey, this one is probably the best value out there.

One other note, the differences between the red and yellow tower are not just the color. The red one, sold by itself, has the train track piece attached to it as one unit. The yellow one in this set does not have a track attached, but comes with two little magnets in front, and there is one straight track piece that has the two magnets on the side, so you can make it stay put. It may take a few minutes when you disassemble it, to find the right track piece with the magnet, and if you have a lot of track like we do, it can take several minutes!! In a way, it's better than the red one, in that you can place it where you want, even around a curve, by just using it alone. On the downside, if you lose that magnetic piece of track, you won't get it to attach to anything anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginnings, December 20, 2006
M Law (Portland, Or) - See all my reviews
This is a great starter set that I bought for my children. The water tower is a big hit--it looks like the water runs out when you move the handle down.

The set up: younger kids will need help putting it together.

Adults will want to find a safe place to keep the paper that tells you exactly how to set it up. It is a figure 8 shape and if you don't put the right pieces in the right place it won't make it all the way around.

FYI: I also did not know that the Thomas the Train pieces you buy at Target do not fit all Thomas tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was so surprised to find this set!!, July 16, 2005
I only came across this set while pricing the water tower on different websites, and knew it was the one. I was about to buy the track and the water tower seperately, which would be a huge waste of money. I have compared the water towers, and I believe the $25 one is 1 piece and the color red...other than that it is identical to the one in the set when it comes to size and weight.

I had set it up the other day to "inspect" it, to make sure it was really what I wanted to give ds. The track set up is very easy and only takes a minute or two. The tracks are double sided, which would make it easier for him. Two of the tracks have a road print on them, and don't look like the other side at all, but I don't mind. The train also moved slowly across the track. The track pieces do fit a little snug, which is a positive and negative. It is good because I know it won't be easy for a piece to slide out of place, if it gets hit a few times, and it is harder for my son to take apart. The negative is that I will have to put it together and take it apart because it will be hard for him to do those (it isn't a big deal at all). It does come with a Thomas Engine...when I was reading up on this set, I couldn't find anywhere if it came with an engine. I thought it just came with the boxcar (very pleased again). The box car that comes with it is plastic, not wood like the rest, it isn't a big deal to me, but it may be for others.

I think the price for the set is VERY reasonable. The water tower alone is $25 and the Thomas engine alone is $10. The set comes with both for $40. I like to think that the track set only cost $5, when the price is broken down to the individual items.

Overall I am very satisfied with this train set. I can't wait for ds to open it on his birthday. I also can't wait to add on to it for Christmas. It is a perfect first train set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Set, December 8, 2007
I bought this for my grandson for his birthday and he loves it! He had another Thomas set that had grey plastic track which is horrible. The track will not stay together and he was very frustrated. I think the carnival set is that same track so beware. This set has sturdy durable wooden tracks and he plays with it EVERY day! He has fun moving the track in different designs and is mystified with the water "disappearing" from the water tower. This is the best Thomas set to start off with and it appears additional extension sets are very reasonably priced. I recommend this highly and suggest you stay away from the grey plastic track Thomas sets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy that inspires imagination!, January 12, 2008
I bought this set for my son this Christmas. He loves it. I really appreciate that he has to use his imagination and think while he plays with it. The set is wooden, and seems very durable. One drawback to the set is that the bridge does not attach as well as the other pieces, so it can easily be knocked off. Other than that it is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter set, January 20, 2008
Son loves all things Thomas. This was a great economical way to get his Thomas train set started. Bridge has a little trouble staying together, but a little wood glue solved that problem. 32 month old is able to put the train tracks together and take them apart by himself - he feels a sense of accomplishment and I don't have to find tracks in the middle of the floor! Great gift for any Thomas fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value and FUN!, October 23, 2005
We got this for my son's second birthday and it is great. The value is amazing! It's like getting the track, bridge, and wooden figures free. Very durable and hours of fun. I would recomend this to any Thomas fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Train set + Really great customer service, November 17, 2011
First off, I want to say I very rarely write reviews, but felt I had to write one for this toy and the company that manufactures it because I've had very pleasant experiences with both.

My son was given this set as a present for his 2nd birthday. Although he did love it, it was just a tiny bit too complex for him at the time and he had (and still sometimes has) problems with the tracks disconnecting easily. I attribute that to just his level of fine motor skills. Each time we bring it out, he gets better at it. I would only suggest that if you buy this for a child younger than 3, be prepared for tracks all over the place or "missing pieces" because your child decided to throw the Stop Sign down the stairs or hid Sir Topham Hat under the rug. I do think this set requires a higher level of maturity and skills, so if you're thinking of giving this to a child under 3, I would advise you to get one of the "Early Engineers" sets (bigger trains to hold, simpler and more secure tracks)

And speaking of missing pieces, we actually did legitimately have a piece missing when we opened the box for the first time. It wasn't huge, just the part of the railroad that connects to the Water Tower (via magnet). This was no fault of the company who makes it - Learning Curve, a subsidiary of Tomy Corporation (nor a fault of Amazon, because it wasn't purchased through Amazon). In fact, the main reason I'm writing this review is to let everyone know how great the Tomy/Learning Curve's customer service was. I contacted them and explained that our set was missing a piece, they immediately looked up the piece and are sending it to us for free by 2 day mail. The woman I spoke with was polite and concise, and the conversation was over in 5 minutes. Something you don't get much of these days. ;-)

Thomas And Friends Wooden Railway - Water Tower Figure 8 Set
$119.99
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.