Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on June 4, 2007
Some reviewers are confused between the wooden and die cast characters. The wooden ones ARE expensive yet well constructed. I had reservations letting my son play with them when he was only 17 months but one mother told me, "you can drive your car over these and they'll be just fine." So at 18 months, we bought a few of the 18 month appropriate toys--push heads and pull train-- and harold the helicopter. Then we bought a few dvds with the free wooden toys. Then we started buying a few of the individual wooden characters as he became more familiar with their roles in the stories.

We have not bought any die cast because they haven't received the same great reviews as the wooden toys. They are NOT the same size. They do NOT fit on the tracks. They are marketed as "on the go/take along" perhaps as a cheaper alternative to the "real wooden toy". The fact that they are metal made me steer clear of them. They didn't seem as safe as the wooden versions.

Some of the reviews give the wooden Emily a bad score but they refer to the diecast toy as not fitting. So it's not the same character and if you want them to be compatible with all the different tracks, you'll have to invest in the wooden product. They are expensive but from what i understand, not as much as other train collections.

The educational value is amazing. I was determined to only purchase the dvd/free toy combination until I realized my son knew all their names, the train vocabulary "buffers/domes/etc..." And he simply adores them. To compensate for the cost of the real wooden toys, we simply don't buy all the tracks and stations. The world is his track and should develop his imagination just as well as having all the different play tables.
0Comment26 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2005
If your child enjoys acting out the Thomas & Friends series, then they should know that Emily is one of the friendlier engines. She is an old-fashioned engine, with large inner wheels. She is the first female steam engine, apart from Lady, who only appeared in the Thomas & The Magic Railroad movie. She was given 2 green coaches after saving Oliver and Toad when they were stuck on the tracks. Before she had her coaches, she borrowed Annie and Clarabelle from Thomas, which made all the other engines sad.

Emily was just released last year in "Emily's New Coaches" and already, she has a major role, mainly because Thomas & Friends doesn't show female engines very often. I have recommended that Learning Curve sells Emily's coaches, because I don't think Thomas will approve of Emily always taking Annie & Clarabelle!
on May 23, 2006
Emily is one of the friendly engines in the Thomas and Friends Wooden Railway. She has a pleasant smile on her face and comes with a coal tender. My little boy is in Love with Emily but frequently calls her "La La". The paint is durable and the plastic pieces are minimal and will be great addition to your Thomas collocation.

My son was 1 ½ when we started his collection and they have been a favorite ever since. When the children like the trains it cuts down on a lot of other bulky toys so the clutter is minimal.
on March 16, 2013
We were having a bit of trouble convincing my 2 3/4 year old grandson to use the 'big boy potty' until he was enticed by the promise of Emily. Having her rest on the shelf, within eyesight, until he agreed to this committment did the trick. He LOVES all Thomas the Train products and I have to admit, they are well made. Much attention paid to detail and the magnets that hold them together are great for little hands.
on December 22, 2012
In the books and the TV show, Emily has a very tall funnel. I don't know why they made the toy train with such a short funnel, she just looks wrong! My 2 y.o. still recognized her immediately as Emily, so I guess it worked out OK for us, but I'm disappointed that she doesn't look like the character in the books/TV show. They must be afraid a tall funnel would poke out somebody's eye or something.
on January 9, 2011
This little train and car has offered my 2 yr old grandson many hours of entertainment. It appears to be well made and is easy for his small hands to handle. He has a book with Emily in it and it adds fun for him to be able to play with an engine featured in his book. Definitely worth the money!
on July 10, 2012
Although I is a very well made train. It doesn't look anything like Emily at all. They could have used something close to the design they had for lady in the movie, "Thomas and the Magic Railroad." It's not a bad train, just doesn't look like she should.
on January 17, 2014
First the positive; these wooden Thomas and Friends trains are well built, my kids have played with them for years and these engines have held up quite well. They are simple with a minimum of moving parts so there's really very little that can easily break (only the wheels can break but they are fairly tough too). My kids love them, which is the important part, really.

Now the negative; this engine lacks the large steam funnel that makes Emily, well Emily. It's as well built as the others, but lacking that she just doesn't look quite right.I'm not certain if this was done for concerns about safety or because it was cheaper to use the same size bits with all the trains but it detracts a bit form the look. On the other hand, I'm just a parent and my kids love her so what do I know?
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2011
For parents who've brought up their "Little One," and have come into a generous inheritance, and cannot come to grips with the fact that the "Little One" is no longer little, and who wish to splurge a bit and supplement their existing Thomas the Tank Engine layout, the Emily engine plus little coal car is a fine addition. Emily and the coal car are mostly made of wood. Emily's face is plastic. The wheels of Emily and of the coal car are plastic. The coal car has a rectangular-shaped bumpy palette sitting on it, where the bumps are simulated coal. The wooden sides of Emily and the coal car are dark green, where there is finely painted light green trimming. Emily has finely painted brown stripes, just above the wheels, running from fore to aft. Underneath Emily, what is stamped in white paint is, "EMILY," and under the coal car, what is stamped in white paint, is "EMILY'S TENDER." A nice toy!
on January 7, 2010
My son loves Thomas and Emily for some reason is a favorite. Great seeing his face on Christmas morning!