Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 22, 2011
I am a seven year old boy and I thought Thomas and the Dragon Queen was a really cool book. I loved how funny the little dragons were. I borrowed the book from the library and I liked the book so much that I wanted my mom to add it to my wish list.

Note: As the mom, I will say that this is a great tale of adventure as well as a wonderful lesson in dealing with adversity, playing to your strengths, being good and honest, and learning how to foster understanding and find compromise.
on February 25, 2011
By nationally syndicated children's book review columnist Kendal Rautzhan. Visit my website for more great book suggestions: Greatest Books for Kids [...]

Read aloud: age 6 - 7 and older.
Read yourself: age 8 - 9 and older.

Thomas, age twelve, has been asked by Sir Gerald to accompany him to the castle as his squire. Thomas is thrilled at the prospect, and even though he is quite small for his age, works hard in his training and improves his skills.
With the kingdom at war, knights and squires are scarce. When the king's daughter is captured by the fearsome Dragon Queen, Thomas is off on a dangerous quest to cross paths with a multi-headed beast, reach a distant island, and rescue the princess. Thomas may be small, but he has a big heart, is brave, and uses his keen mind to maneuver through seemingly impossible odds. Will he be able to reach his destination and succeed in his mission?
Peppered with wise philosophy and brimming with adventure, courage, and enchanting fantasy, Thomas and the Dragon is certain to entertain and delight readers throughout all 266 pages.
on December 7, 2013
Thomas and the Dragon Queen,is a great book about a leathersmiths son and his journey.Thomas's journey starts when he saves his little sister from a spooked horse,with a stone.Sir Gerald is the knight who was sleeping on the horse that almost ran over Thomas's little sister.Sir Gerald thought that Thomas was very brave rescuing his little sister and takes Thomas as his page.At the castle Thomas learns many things and quickly becomes a squire.When all the knights are off fighting at the border the princess is kidnapped by the Dragon Queen Bridgoltha.Thomas is knighted and sets off to save the princess.Sir Thomas faces many obstacles on his way to Barren Isle where the princess is being kept,but when he gets there he finds something unexpected.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2013
I love how much the author is explaining how everything happened in the book and I love it. I recommend this book to my friend Dana Smith I hope their will be a second book.
on December 12, 2013
• The book I have started reading is the medieval times Sunshine State book, Thomas and the Dragon Queen. At first you are probably thinking of the old tale, princess gets kidnapped by a dragon, knight goes to save her, knight and dragon have big battle, knight comes home; princess in arms. It is like that, but the knight is a bit short and has a lot more detail. There was a boy named Thomas, he was the oldest of his family and was always jittery so he started acting out his father’s stories he used to tell. Then a knight comes along, and almost hurts one of the children, and that knight changes Thomas’s life forever. The knights name is Sir Gerland. He takes Thomas with him to the Palace and trains him to become a knight. When the Queen of Dragons kidnaps the princess, Thomas is on his way to save her with only a jagged sword, a mule, and some friendship and hope. I liked that there where many strange things that popped up when you weren’t expecting it. I recommend this book to people who like adventure and can’t wait to see what happens next readers.
on December 15, 2013
The book Thomas and the Dragon Queen by Shutta Crum is a great book. One reason I think it is a great book is because Thomas becomes a knight unexpectedly. He goes on a great adventure of thrills and exciting parts. His steed is a donkey named Bartholomew. There is a princess named Eleanor who is the daughter of the king. He has lots of siblings and a loving mother and father. His best friend is John the groomsman. He even made friends with a dragon and her dragonlets. All these characters make the book special. If you like medieval times, dragons or epic adventures, this is the book for you!!!

on December 14, 2013
I'm a 10 year old girl and I like the book Thomas and the Dragon Queen. It's full of action and adventure and it teaches you a good lesson that you can do anything no matter what your size. I like Thomas because he's brave and shows a lot of perseverance. Thomas is brave because he went on the dangerous journey by himself. He shows perseverance because even though he faced some tough challenges during the journey he never gave up. This book will have you on the edge of your seat. I recommend this book for people who are interested in Medieval Times and like fairy tales.
on September 29, 2013
If you like knights and dragons you should read this book. I am an 8 year old boy, this book taught me that no matter your size you shouldn't think that you can't do something. This story is about a boy wanting to be a knight, he becomes and knight and his first quest is to rescue the princess from the dragon queen. I gave this book 4 stars because there were some hard words. My favorite character is Thomas.
on November 23, 2015
A really wonderful book. I bought it for my kids but I could not put it down. A main character who is not perfect but makes mistakes and learns from them. Life has not given Thomas an easy lot, but he learns his lessons and perseveres. A clever plot- I enjoyed watching all the pieces fall into place as the story unfolded. I highly recommend.
on October 10, 2010
Thomas and the Dragon Queen was a delightful and exciting middle grade novel that will bring smiles to the faces of any and all readers.

I rarely delve into the middle grade genre, mainly because there are so many great YA books waiting to be devoured, but I am so glad I had the opportunity to read and review this one. Thomas was a brave and well developed main character, and I loved reading about his different adventures. First of all his family, they were a well rounded and endearing group and I especially liked baby Isabel. His parents were both kind people and truly wanted the best for their family. They also encouraged Thomas to strive the highest he could even though he was so small for his age.

All of the characters were likable, and the brave and kind hearted always succeeded. Sir Gerald, Jon, Princess Eleanor... every character stood out to me and played a great role in the story. I especially liked being able to experience the story with Thomas and the other characters because of the adorable black and white drawings scattered throughout the chapters. The pictures added a lot to the story and let me picture the scenes even more vividly.

The plot was so original and exciting. Thomas faced a variety of trials and triumphs (none that would truly frighten young readers, though) and he was so brave in the face of danger. One of my favorite scenes was when he was rescuing a dolphin ensnared in a bit of netting along the coast. He was determined and never gave up. Readers will be cheering for Thomas as he faces a variety of challenges to reach the kidnapped Princess Eleanor and by the end you will be anxious to see how it will all turn out.

An excellent adventure story with a fabulous main character and exciting plot twists, Thomas and the Dragon Queen is definitely one of my favorite middle grade novels. I can't wait to recommend it to all the younger children I know!

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars